Ray Jones / Kiyan Prince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Jones / Kiyan Prince

OK touchy subject this but, hopefully I can be tactful enough (first for everything) in this post for us to maybe debate it...

I think the club is either doing too much for Ray's memory OR not enough for Kiyans memory. The reason I say this is because of the circumstances...Ray tragically died in a car accident which was of his own doing; Kiyan was tragically murdered after an act of bravery from himself.

Now, I personally have no issues with the retiring of the number 31 shirt, the award given in his name or Ray still be listed as a squad player. I do think though that if we're doing that in Ray's memory that we should be doing something as worthwhile/high profile in Kiyans memory. I know that Ray was in the first team squad and that Kiyan wasnt but the importance of the player to the club can be counter balanced with the circumstances to which they both died.

What are your thoughts on this? I've been thinking about it for a while and I had a chat with a fellow fan a couple of weeks ago who thought we shouldnt be listing Ray as a player anymore (not something I agree with)...that combined with someone on dot.org mentioning it today made me think it's maybe time that we can have the discussion.

RIP to both of them though - they wont be forgotten
    Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

think we shuld be doing alot more for both. have spoke many times of getting a flag made for both of them but no1 on here was at all keen

Comment

hear what you are saying Scott, but i do believe the club are (were) doing a lot behind the scenes for KP

R.I.P Kiyan & Ray

Comment

Originally posted by pkloft View Post
        hear what you are saying Scott, but i do believe the club are (were) doing a lot behind the scenes for KP

R.I.P Kiyan & Ray
        We never did have that promised game with Arsenal in his memory though:(

Comment

I couldn't agree more Scott.... and fair play to you for having the ******** to say it as I have wanted to say it for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by trash View Post
            I couldn't agree more Scott.... and fair play to you for having the ******** to say it as I have wanted to say it for a while.
            It's a touchy subject for a lot of people and well, I thought enough time had passed for it to be brought up. More than anything I think we should be doing a heck of a lot more for Kiyan - if we're doing stuff behind the scenes (I know the community team work with Kiyans family) then that's great; but, something a lot more public is needed IMHO from the club directly that the fans can see and appreciate.
            Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Very well said, the whole flag idea sounds really good aswell
              We're Queens Park Rangers, we rule supreme

Comment

I agree with the whole issue Scott and feel that we are doing too much for Ray Jomes' death. As tragic as it was he also took with him two (i think) other people in what was driving dangerously and illegally - well maybe more recklessly.

OK he was young and made a mistake, which we have all done and will continue to do, and he suffered the ultimate price for it, but if he survived would he be now like the Ex-Plymouth Goalkeeper, or as Lee Hughes was, and in jail? Then would the club be as supporting?

Kiyan on the other hand was murdered, and he should be the one I feel with more respect than he is receiving from the club.

This may be seen as being too harsh on Ray and for those offended by my thoughts I apologise, but I think we need to get something going for Kiyan's memory, in what i feel was an extremely tragic event and one that is becoming far too common on our streets.
                Last edited by mjk; 02-08-2009, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mjk View Post
                  I agree with the whole issue Scott and feel that we are doing too much for Ray Jomes' death. As tragic as it was he also took with him two (i think) other people in what was driving dangerously and illegally - well maybe more recklessly.

OK he was young and made a mistake, which we have all done and will continue to do, and he suffered the ultimate price for it, but if he survived would he be now like the Ex-Plymouth Goalkeeper, or as Lee Hughes was, and in jail? Then would the club be as supporting?

Kiyan on the other hand was murdered, and he should be the one I feel with more respect than he is receiving from the club.

This may be seen as being too harsh on Ray and for those offended by my thoughts I apologise, but I think we need to get something going for Kiyan's memory, in what i feel was an extremely tragic event and one that is becoming far too common on our streets.
                  Well put mate.Ray was himself the main factor in his own death,due to his manner of driving at the time of the accident.Don't know if alcohol was involved though.

Kiyan was murdered through no fault of his own.Big difference IMO.

Not disrespecting Ray's memory at all,just would like to see Kiyan get his profile increased more.

Comment

Originally posted by IsleworthRanger View Post
                    We never did have that promised game with Arsenal in his memory though:(

that is so true Isleworth:cry:

what i would like to see is a pre-season tournament at LR with the likes of us Brentford Fulham & Chelsea (maybe the latter is a bit to much to ask for) all competing for the Kiyan & Ray cup or something along those lines

1) you would get a packed LR for pre-season friendlies

2) there's a good chance we could sell the TV rights

3) lots of QPR fans at HQ will do wonders for the club shop

Comment

Now that were on the subject I'd just like to say that this site has been working on something for the Kiyan Prince Foundation, you may have already seem some video footage of his father trying to make a differnce in the World today.

I'm 100% behind him as many of you are but I don't have the funds to support such a great project.

You all know that this website is costing us so much to run per month, we have no choice but to look for advertising which hope we can do very shortly. The plan is and Scott already knows is that we will try to use some of this money to fund the Kiyan Prince Foundation, as QPR fans using this site will mean everyone of us will be playing a part.

How this works if you don't understand is that the more people use our site the more hits we get, the more hits we get then more chance of getting advertising on here.

There are two benefits to this, one will be that the cost of this site can become paid by sponsors and not out of mine & Petes pockets, and the second is that we will the be able to support charity's such as the Kiyan Prince Foundation.

I'm working on something else that will come a little later but need to contact the Kiyan Prince Foundation before I can say anymore.

Watch this space and hope we can also play a bigger part with the Foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by pkloft View Post
                        that is so true Isleworth:cry:

what i would like to see is a pre-season tournament at LR with the likes of us Brentford Fulham & Chelsea (maybe the latter is a bit to much to ask for) all competing for the Kiyan & Ray cup or something along those lines

1) you would get a packed LR for pre-season friendlies

2) there's a good chance we could sell the TV rights

3) lots of QPR fans at HQ will do wonders for the club shop
                        That's a good idea mate.Better than pointless friendlies against non-league teams.

Comment

love the idea of a ray n kyan cup. would also invite burnley because of their impeccable behaviour at the time

Comment

me too great idea PK

Comment

Originally posted by qblockoompah View Post
                              love the idea of a ray n kyan cup. would also invite burnley because of their impeccable behaviour at the time
                              Burnley have a cracking set of away fans as well.They were all cheering and clapping the Tiger Cubs last season.

Comment

Working...
                              X