No announcement yet.

Helgusons penalties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would probably have changed penalty taker for the second one, just because heidar scored one already and al habsi, who is a very good keeper, probably knew what to expect. Would have given it to buzz or barton myself.
    Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
    Pawel Wszolek - 6
    Luke Freeman - 6
    Matt Smith - 6
    Ebere Eze - 4
    Joel Lynch - 3
    Tomer Hemed - 3
    Toni Leistner - 2
    Massimo Luongo- 2
    Angel Rangel - 2
    Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
    Geoff Cameron - 1
    Aramide Oteh - 1
    Jake Bidwell - 1
    Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

You have to take into account that certian keepers get a reputation for saving pens... I remember Paul Cooper years ago had such an aura people were shocked if he let one in. Anyway, Habsi seems to be one of those keepers who's gathering a penalty saving rep.
      Personally, I think HH should of gone down the middle for 2nd one but I still think he's our best bet to talke ALL pens.

Comment

People let's get this part straight first off, he didn't miss the pen, it was a very good save... keepers have their moments too. If it was a bad pen then it could be argued as he messed it up, but it was going just inside the post and most keepers wouldn't have saved it even if they went the right way. I think key was Habsi was about 2 yards off the line when he actually saved it which helped him. didn't notice if he went too early but doesn't matter now.

I used to take pens for all my various teams over the years back in the day, be it club or college and it was because i was always expected to score, always side foot placed with decent power never blasted, and my technique normally sent the keeper the wrong way. I think i scored all bar one which hit the post, and i still joke that if it was a round post instead of square it would've gone in. I actually scored 3 pens in the first half of a game once, and had 2 in a couple of games, but pretty rare.

The problem with having more than one pen in a game is not so much that the keeper may guess what you're plannning, he could anytime, but the fact the taker ends up dabating options in his own head instead of knowing what he wants to do and sticking to it.... do i go the same place, or will he expect that, he'll probably dive where i put the first pen so should go the other side, he knows i wait for him to move first, so will wait this time so maybe i should blast it etc. I think that's why some takers maybe don't like taking a 2nd in a game, and then a second taker gets involved. Most proper strikers would always want to take pens though as confident they will score.

I love HH's technique. It looks casual becasue it is, he stutters to the ball slowly, and waits to see most keepers start to move before he hits it and he rolls it casually in the opposite side of the goal, if they delay, he places well enough that often they don't get there even if they go the right way...

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post
          People let's get this part straight first off, he didn't miss the pen, it was a very good save... keepers have their moments too. If it was a bad pen then it could be argued as he messed it up, but it was going just inside the post and most keepers wouldn't have saved it even if they went the right way. I think key was Habsi was about 2 yards off the line when he actually saved it which helped him. didn't notice if he went too early but doesn't matter now.

I used to take pens for all my various teams over the years back in the day, be it club or college and it was because i was always expected to score, always side foot placed with decent power never blasted, and my technique normally sent the keeper the wrong way. I think i scored all bar one which hit the post, and i still joke that if it was a round post instead of square it would've gone in. I actually scored 3 pens in the first half of a game once, and had 2 in a couple of games, but pretty rare.

The problem with having more than one pen in a game is not so much that the keeper may guess what you're plannning, he could anytime, but the fact the taker ends up dabating options in his own head instead of knowing what he wants to do and sticking to it.... do i go the same place, or will he expect that, he'll probably dive where i put the first pen so should go the other side, he knows i wait for him to move first, so will wait this time so maybe i should blast it etc. I think that's why some takers maybe don't like taking a 2nd in a game, and then a second taker gets involved. Most proper strikers would always want to take pens though as confident they will score.

I love HH's technique. It looks casual becasue it is, he stutters to the ball slowly, and waits to see most keepers start to move before he hits it and he rolls it casually in the opposite side of the goal, if they delay, he places well enough that often they don't get there even if they go the right way...
          Totally agree Del,i used to take the penalty's for all clubs i played for and always put them in the same corner knowing if i hit it clean the keeper would never get near it unless he went early.The moment you start thinking about putting it somewhere else you go into unknown territory and then you would start doubting your self.HH takes a great pen as does Adel and we should keep it with HH until he decides his confidence has gone

Comment

Did we expect to get two penalites?

Comment

2 different penalty takers = no debate ???
              What if 1st pen taker also has another goal against his name, he'd be on a hatrick, so of course there'd be a debate.

To my (admittedly poor memory), it's HH's 1st miss, so it's a little harsh, but it 'could' have cost us on another day. (to be fair also he could have scored on another day).

For me, I worry about the pace of his pens. And yesterday having seen the Keeper dive fully for the first pen, I'd have expected him to do the same and thus would have slammed it down the middle.
              But thats laws of average and easy for me to type in hindsight.

When was the last pen we missed ? 2 seasons ago ?

Comment

Originally posted by willis1980 View Post
                having said that i cant remember the last time we had 2 penalties in one game
                Did referee Jon Moss perhaps demonstrate his appreciation of TF's Tune sponsorship? In my opinion the first penalty decision (handball) was correct, but the second one was a bit dodgy, and perhaps fortuitous for us.

For the second shot, Helguson may have changed his mind at the last moment, but still a good save, perhaps just for Wigan, but this only added to the usual stress, so was really glad when Tommy Smith put the game away.

Actually a great weekend for the Smith family, as Jimmy at Orient also slotted one in. In that game Lee Cook also played a full 90 min, so good for his confidence.

Comment

Working...
                X