No announcement yet.

Sweeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sad thing that no-one has posted, is that all the top european clubs, inc man utd, spain , barca ..play a sweper system.....

just bescause they are not listed as a sweeper, doesnt mean they dont do it...!!

How many times you seen rio cover the full backs...etc?

Comment

Originally posted by qprbrisbanedivision View Post
      sad thing that no-one has posted, is that all the top european clubs, inc man utd, spain , barca ..play a sweper system.....

just bescause they are not listed as a sweeper, doesnt mean they dont do it...!!

How many times you seen rio cover the full backs...etc?
      Not really. Although they have players that drop deep and cover the backline, they all still play 4 at the back, they are just more expansive going forward and sluid with their player movement.

The supposed Sweeper system is based on 3 CB's, with 2 playing their normal game as per a 442 system, and one dropping and covering reading the game etc.

Comment

Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
        So why's everyone keep calling him a LB?
        he is as much a left back as micah richards is.

the guy is a near carbon copy of micah richards, pacey, strong, plays RB and can be deployed as a CB.

i would rather we didnt waste him and played young left back if we are that desperate.
        Soldier: "im on reconnaissance sir.. im looking for our camouflage expert.. have you seen him?"
        Lovejoy: "No?!"
        Soldier: "GOD DAMNIT THAT GUYS GOOD!"

Please Follow My Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by paulmason View Post
          I know it would never happen, but I would like to see something like this, as its as attacking as it is defensive. Young and Traore love getting forward and do a good job when they do and they would flourish with the additional CB cover at the back.

------------------- Kenny --------------------
          -------- Ferdinand - Onahura - Alex --------
          -- Young --------------------------- Traore --
          ------------ Barton ----- ??????? ------------
          ---- SWP ------- ??????? ------- ??????? ----
          Agree with Mason, when attacking can be a 3-4-3, and when defending it can be a 5-4-1. Would have Adel on the left front 3 question marks, and a out and out goalscorer in the centre of the front 3 question marks. Not sure who is available for the midfield position next to Barton, but if rumours about muntari are true he would be perfect.
          @chrisrobson9

Comment

I know it would never happen, but I would like to see something like this, as its as attacking as it is defensive. Young and Traore love getting forward and do a good job when they do and they would flourish with the additional CB cover at the back.

I like this! With the players we have I think this could be a very versatile formation! Young and Traore would be given even more freedom to run down the flanks as wingbacks and could also help anchor a stout defense when needed!
            @gatorTFC

Comment

Mason's formation gives Taraabt a free role too.

Comment

Are defenders more prone to injuries?

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post
                  Not really. Although they have players that drop deep and cover the backline, they all still play 4 at the back, they are just more expansive going forward and sluid with their player movement.

The supposed Sweeper system is based on 3 CB's, with 2 playing their normal game as per a 442 system, and one dropping and covering reading the game etc.
                  Mate, you can play a sweeper system with 4 at the back..including the sweeper..or have i read your post wrong?

Many moons ago it was played with 5 ..ala franz beckenbaur, Gullit, Hoddle etc...

The modern version of that has a back 4

Comment

Mate, you can play a sweeper system with 4 at the back..including the sweeper..or have i read your post wrong?

Many moons ago it was played with 5 ..ala franz beckenbaur, Gullit, Hoddle etc...

The modern version of that has a back 4
                    Yeah but it's not really classed as a sweeper system, it's just a back 4 where one CB plays deeper.

Barca play with a back 4 but in reality their CB's go to the full back positions when the keeper has the ball and generally start the posession from there while the FB's are in a LM position. Their style is just amazingly fluid and although it's a 433 on paper, they play in such a unique way.

Liek you say many other clubs adopt their own patterns of play that formations are pretty much meaningless as clubs adapt them and switch formations mid game as they need to.

Comment

I suggested this formation about 2 weeks ago in an effort to change and shuffle things about given the run we were on. Got told I was on cloud 9

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post
                        Yeah but it's not really classed as a sweeper system, it's just a back 4 where one CB plays deeper.

Barca play with a back 4 but in reality their CB's go to the full back positions when the keeper has the ball and generally start the posession from there while the FB's are in a LM position. Their style is just amazingly fluid and although it's a 433 on paper, they play in such a unique way.

Liek you say many other clubs adopt their own patterns of play that formations are pretty much meaningless as clubs adapt them and switch formations mid game as they need to.
                        Have to disagree mate.. You can play a back 4 where 1 of the centre back is an out and out sweeper..ie doesnt man mark, covers the attacking space, drops off, covers the defender and marks the runner etc.....

remembering that when the ball is played forward, you have and attacking CB and the "drop off" CB....
                        As you say, when the keeper has the ball the Fb's become "wing back" effectivly" and the sweeper becomes the left / right back, depending on the teams positioning ..

Agree, that formation stated are faily meaningless to a fluid team, and thats what the top teams do..adapt as the game is played...all this rigid 442, 3511 etc is for teams with no fluidity...(is that even a word)?

But my point is you can have a back 4 with a sweeper..i only know because i played that position for about 15 years and they were my directions !!

Comment

remeber Des Walker..in no way was he a CB..always a sweeper in a back 4...?

Comment

remeber Des Walker..in no way was he a CB..always a sweeper in a back 4...?
                            I agree mate, of course you can play with one of the 2 CB's as a sweeper, all i was saying is when a team play 4 at the back it's never really classed as a sweeper system in the main, regardless of whether they play it or not as the theory on that is 3 CB's.

Comment

fair enough...cant argue with that ..

Comment

Working...
                              X