Encouraging second half display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encouraging second half display

Shame we didn't turn up in the first half, I enjoyed the second half very much.
    Under Les Ferdinand:
    Luke Freeman, top assists in the league: 4million
    Alex Smithies, great goalie for this club: 3,5million
    Charlie Austin, 19 Premier League goals: 4million
    Jack Robinson: Contract ran out, left for free
    And many more mistakes

LES FERDINAND, IT'S TIME TO GO

Originally posted by qpr View Post

Need to play like that second half in every game this season

Comment

Originally posted by qpr View Post
      Spot on. I think we may see that 2nd half team start next week. And deservedly so too.

Warnock has to take as much blame for the first half, as he will get plaudits for making the right changes.

We were abysmal in the first, and very competitive in the second. Spurs relaxed too much, which helped us, but the difference was startling in the second.

Comment

Game lost in 1st half - Taarabt another no show.

We cannot be practising free kicks of crossing - woeful yet again.
        http://twitter.com/#!/superhoops10

Comment

Encouraging second half display

I wasn't expecting anything from this match, so the result doesn't surprise me. That said, our first half performance was embarrassing, even against a team of Tottenham's quality. We struggled to string more than three passes together and generally looked very lethargic. Taarabt was absolutely dreadful. I think he must have lost the ball every time he attempted a pass and, frankly, he didn't really look like he cared. I'm sorry, but I don't think he deserves to be in the starting line-up next week on the basis of that performance. That was unacceptable. Mackie was about ten times better when he came on in the second half. Buzsaky should also be considered as a replacement - he was excellent against Everton at Goodison Park earlier in the season and sadly seems to have been overlooked by Warnock in recent weeks.

What also disappointed me was Fitz Hall getting injured within ten minutes. I'm afraid he is a player I would be looking to sell if possible. The guy is just too injury prone and, let's face it, a defender who cannot exactly be described as 'solid'.

Against Modric, Parker and Van Der Vaart, our midfielders really struggled, which, again, wasn't surprising. However, what disappointed me was the fact that Derry and Faurlin weren't hassling the opposition enough. We gave them far too much time and space on the ball. Our second half performance, however, was much more encouraging. I thought Mackie and Bothroyd both gave us far more energy up front and they actually caused Spurs a lot of problems. Wright-Phillips was superb after a very quiet first half, but needs to improve on his finishing in front of goal. It was a real shame that we couldn't convert one or two more of the chances we created.

Man of the match was quite obviously Paddy Kenny - made a series of world-class saves. We are very lucky to have him. His performance prevented Tottenham from leading five or six nil at half-time.

Something we really need to work on as a team: ball retention. When you're playing against the top sides, you have to keep the ball. I noticed us giving the ball away easily against Chelsea last Sunday, which enabled them to dominate possession in the second half. We've got to improve in this area.

One final comment: I thought our support was absolutely fantastic today.

Comment

yep, when taarabt went off we looked more like a team

Comment

We did make a game of it and maybe with some more clinical finishing might have snatched a point against all odds! To me there may be more questions than answers now: should we start with this type of formation no matter who the opposition are, what to do with AT, is Barton more suited to playing in the holding misfield role beside Faurlin than Derry? I'm quite honestly surprised they didn't run rampant on us when we played with 3 attackers, it was a decent 2nd half!
              @gatorTFC

Comment

Will Warnock start with that team or just go for the usual suspects?

Comment

Originally posted by stainrod10 View Post
                  Game lost in 1st half - Taarabt another no show.

We cannot be practising free kicks of crossing - woeful yet again.
                  Thought we looked quite dangerous from corners for the 1st time this season.
                  I'm here for a long time, not a good time...

Comment

And if Mackie could either control the ball or shot 1st time we'd of had a 2nd at the end

Comment

2nd half we showed we belong in the prem, 1st half we showed we belong in the championship!
                      LONDON CALLING TO THE ZOMBIES OF DEATH.... ALSO KNOW AS BRENTFORD FANS

Comment

Yeah hope Warnock goes with the 2nd half team against City and for the game after. The game against City is also a bit of a write of barring a miracle but we looked far more solid and more likely to score with our 2nd half line up. Taarabt is woeful out of form and there remains a big question mark whether he can actually cut it as this level, we can't afford to keep waiting to find out I'm afraid! Bothroyd deserves a start after his goal and I think it's time for Barton to play in the centre which is his best position. Think Derry will increasingly become a sub as the season wears on, he's been great for us but I think he will struggle at times this season.

Comment

Working...
                        X