No announcement yet.

Ray Wilkins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unbeaten in our first 5 games after relegation when we sacked him...houston wasted money more than wikins..£2.5 MILLION on mike sheron,,,,,,great player for us though..

Comment

Ray Wilkins drives me mad as a commentator he speaks like he is a gentlemans outfitter trying to get an inside leg measurement "that young man " is his descriptive term for all players.Is he trying to be brian Clough or something similar .He is so stodgy & boring.Just like he was as the crab when he played always pass it sideways even if a better pass would be forward .There ive had my rant

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
        Wilkins one of the main culpritts for putting club into downward spiral, wasting money on Zelich Hateley Wouldn't play Osbourne because it meant he would have to leave himself out? Sorry I dont have much affection for him, plus he considers himself a Chelsea boy which he is, even Man u fans don't hold him in that high esteem
        To be fair to him we were actually Top of Division 1 when he was sacked and had he stayed perhaps he would have got more out of the players than messrs Houston and Rioch did.
        He was a fantastic player for us and he was really responsible for putting Les on the map both as a player and Captain.
        That said think he should stay a coach rather than Manager but I will always hold him in high regard as he was a joy to watch when playing for us.

Comment

Had Wilkins not been sacked by the idiot Wright who was desperate to bring in his own man, we would have gone straight back up.

Wilkins had his hands tied by Thompson on how that Ferdinand money was spent. The only player Wilkins brought in completely of his own volition was Hateley. Even then he admitted he had to play Hateley whilst he was injured and Dichio was being bullied and no-one else was up to the task.

Huge amount of time for Wilkins. One of our greatest players who only has nice words to say about his time here. Proper gent.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
            To be fair to him we were actually Top of Division 1 when he was sacked and had he stayed perhaps he would have got more out of the players than messrs Houston and Rioch did.
            He was a fantastic player for us and he was really responsible for putting Les on the map both as a player and Captain.
            That said think he should stay a coach rather than Manager but I will always hold him in high regard as he was a joy to watch when playing for us.
            Agree with a lot of the above.

I always loved watching Ray play as he was absolutely top class make no mistake. To be able to dictate matches at that age proves the point. He would always take the ball in congested areas, and with subtle movements lose players and have enough time and space to pick out some of the best passes we've seen from a QPR player.

As for Ferdinand... since when did he have any say in that...?? Anyone who thinks he went to the chairman and said here's an idea... let's sell our guaranteed 20 a season striker in the height of his form for a paltry £6m, is just plain naive.

Also bear in mind without Wilkins pulling the strings and creating countless goals with pinpoint passing, Sir Les may have only ever been simply "Les" as he wouldn't have scored anywhere near as many goals. He helped make the player become what he did by growing in stature along the way. Very similar to what Beardsley did for Andy Cole in his Newcastle days.

As for Wilkin's analysis of the game and comments, i have him bang on with everything he said.

Comment

Originally posted by vblockiain View Post
              Ray Wilkins drives me mad as a commentator he speaks like he is a gentlemans outfitter trying to get an inside leg measurement "that young man " is his descriptive term for all players.Is he trying to be brian Clough or something similar .He is so stodgy & boring.Just like he was as the crab when he played always pass it sideways even if a better pass would be forward .There ive had my rant
              I take it you never saw him in his pomp for us?

Comment

Decent bloke is Wilkins and despite his propensity for calling everyone a 'lovely lad' and 'my word' he's a good pundit and is respected in the game.

No coincidence that Chelseas collapse last season started when Wilkins left.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodge70 View Post
                  I take it you never saw him in his pomp for us?

To suggest he only passed sideways is quite frankly laughable and just makes you look stupid. Yes he passed sideways when needed to keep posession then got it back. Everytime he got the ball he was always looking for an opening in attack first, retention of the ball second. He played in a similar way to Xavi at Barca.... i suppose he never passes forward either.

Comment

Liked his comments, although Traore couldnt have stayed on the touchline as if you are sent off you have to go down the tunnel.
                    Queens Park Rangers Til I Die!

Comment

Yes i did see him in his "pomp" at rangers and yes maybe i am stupid in your eyes because my opinion of a player does not coincide with yours i have watched every home game in the league since 1958 and most cup ties .Do you have sole right to a personal opinion i have never rated him as a rangers player as his period was the start of our demise.This was accelerated by his ability as a manager previously good players do not necessarily make good managers or pundits

Comment

Originally posted by Nodge70 View Post
                        Had Wilkins not been sacked by the idiot Wright who was desperate to bring in his own man, we would have gone straight back up.

Wilkins had his hands tied by Thompson on how that Ferdinand money was spent. The only player Wilkins brought in completely of his own volition was Hateley. Even then he admitted he had to play Hateley whilst he was injured and Dichio was being bullied and no-one else was up to the task.

Huge amount of time for Wilkins. One of our greatest players who only has nice words to say about his time here. Proper gent.
                        Spot on Nodge. Utterly ridiculous for anyone to describe him as a crab etc, you don't play in England, Milan, QPR and Utd sides of that quality unless you're an outstanding player.

Comment

Told me to 'get my f#cking skates on' when I was about 14 in the west paddock as I meandered towards the ball that had gone out of play.

Bald basstard

Comment

Well he was known as the Crab at Man U but he was simply well ahead of his time as a player, I am not going to go into all the things that made him a great player as I dont have time but he was a great player for us and was unfortunate as a manager, remember Gallen got injured after scoring away at pompeii, without that injury he would have gone on to be one of the best strikers of the decade, we would have gone top and Wilkins would have kept his job and been given more time

signings were a bit iffy but he only got one shot at it and it went pearshaped

My word, what a player he was though
                            its New Era number 8 i tell thee, bring on the fireworks

Comment

Triffic, super, young man!

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                                Triffic, super, young man!
                                Fabulous....

Comment

Working...
                                X