My Opinion if "Daily Mail" Report is Correct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Opinion if "Daily Mail" Report is Correct

It will show to me that after 18 months we have not learned from our mistakes. The one thing this club seems to thrive on is an increase of crowds and the good feel factor to return. If we go down the route, the club will get neither. Make no mistake, if Ipswich felt they could trust Jim Magilton with the increased budget, they would not have brought in Roy Keane.

We may have made a rod for our own back with short term appointments and I can see the arguments of not spending money for the sake of it, but we have just come off a bitterly disappointing season, the last thing we need is to feel we have no hope for the next one. Understanding the complexities of the championship and what kind of manager we can attract is difficult to understand, surely in order to make a statement of intent you aim high or certainly higher then a manager who has not had much success at ipswich Town. When are we going to realise that the extra cost of bringing in a top manager, will be balanced out with a vast increase of supporters paying at the turnstiles and even supporters queing for season tickets if they geuninely believed we had an excellent chance of promotion.

This club is a great club, but its slowly becoming a laughing stock. By appointing Jim Magilton it will show that we have gone around in a complete circle to a time when we had John Gregory as manager. When the new owners took over, we believed to a degree all the hype we were given and voted with our feet to watch the team we love. With subsequent increases at the tuirnstiles, we even accepted that someone like iain Dowie could possibly get us promoted.

Why can we not go for a top top manager? Surely, in percentage terms money spent elsewhere in and around the ground is peanuts compared to bringing in a top manager. I often get accused of being a mouthpiece, which is unfair, I also get accused of being told all and sundry what goes on, which is also unfair, but one thing I do is speak on how I feel, which often upsets people. I have defended the club, because I felt that 18 months is no time to make judgements and in the slightest hope that anyone from the board does read this, then I urge you, if Magilton is favourite for the job, to think seriously what you are doing and don't be surprised to see the lowest number of fans for the start of the season game, you have seen for years.

I don't buy the fact he has done well at Ipswich, our ambitions should be way and above a team who have finished 14th, 8th and 9th in the recent 3 years. The fans play a bigger role to this club then maybe given credit for and any feeling or positiveity remaining will quickly be washed away.
    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

It's true...he is clearly not a five year appointment. I would not expect him to make Christmas, even if we were top 8.

Comment

who are you classing a top manager? would they really manage a team in the championship?

Comment

I agree with all of that Pete, but don't you think you and all those like you who clamoured for the sacking of Dowie, Sousa etc must take a tiny bit of responsibility? It is surely due to the revolving door at Loftus Rd - combined with the refusal to spend sufficient money - that has prompted big name targets just to laugh at us. Even the chairman of Peterborough Utd - yes, Peterborough - was able to laugh off our interest in their manager by saying effectively "who wd go there, they just sack their manager every two minutes?" I fear that Flavio - and to a lesser extent those who shared his impatience - are now going to have to lie in the bed they have all made.

Comment

good post pete.
          @chrisrobson9

Comment

I did not clamour, I gave an opinion. The record is broken, but the football was dire and boring towards the end of the season. You do that (certainly I did that) because I felt we deserved better, did not expect these names branded about in the papers. I expected to move forward, not backwards.
            THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Well said Pete. I agree with you completely on this.

If I were confident that lessons have been learnt then I would accept Magilton's appointment with the knowledge that he will be given time. Unfortunately I don't believe lessons have been learnt and if we aren't in the top 6 come November we might find ourselves without a manager again.

Magilton's record (or lack of it) speaks for itself. If the club were serious about promotion they should have and still could go for Gary Johnson or Roberto Martinez. Even Adkins at Scunny or Sean O'Driscoll at Donny would make good appointments. All 4 men have worked within tight budgets, play attractive football and have had success with their current teams. Yes Adkins took Scunny down but this was after he got them promoted in the first place come Sunday they could be back up under his leadership.

I don't expect us to appoint Ranieri, Scolari or Erikkison but at least go for someone who hasn't been sacked for failure. The new manager won't be given £12m to spend so if Magilton can't take a team up even when he has that sort of budget how can he be expected to take us up?

Comment

But that is my point - maybe you should have stopped to think who we were likely to get instead rather than just assume that anyone wd be better than sousa or dowie. i was not a massive fan with either and you are right their football was boring. But the time for a big name choice was when they first came in and there was a real buzz about their likely investment. with each sacking of a manager and each transfer window passing without sufficient investment in players it gets ever more difficult to get a successful manager. of course it leaves you with a load of cvs from the unemployed.

Comment

sam-qpr.

I'm not saying he would. Lets just say for argument we appointed Raneri. Could we not afford to pay him an excellent salary for the championship, knowing that the moment you appoint a manager of his calibre queues will forming at the box office.

Perception in football is vitally important. The moment you get a top manager, all views change. Just ask Ipswich fans. I wonder how many more renewed on the basis that Keane took charge, significantly more then would be the case if jim magilton had still been manager.

Comment

No worries its going to be a big name and DEFINITELY NOT MAGILTON, or so someone said?

Comment

Pete forgive me if I'm wrong, but you have a thread saying it's not Magilton. Now either you know something or this thread is a complete waste of time. For the record, IMHO their is only one manager with the credentials we are looking for. He has managed in the premiership, he took a team from the championship and made them, the stepping stone for other teams to emulate, he then left them and done another good job at his last premiership side. That man is ALAN CURBISHLY. Sadly I cannot see him coming to us, as he has stated on many occassions his desire to manage again in the top division. I guess pretty soon we will see just who it is.

Comment

As to Sir Pie's point - read after I posted - of course I agree about the kind of names we should be chasing, but why would any of those guys leave secure jobs where they are well liked for a club where they know they will, in all probability, be sacked by November? My guess - and it is a guess, I concede - is that Flavio may well want someone like the ones you mention but finds himself unable to attract them. only way he cd prob get them is if he were to offer massive wages. And if anything the signs are (eg his refusal to pay compo for Warnock) he wants to do things for less, not more money.

Comment

stainrodforengland.

yes, I see your point. You would never expect in a million years that the club would then go and make this kind of appointment. I think the theory of me being a mouthpiece for the club goes out the window or being told everything goes out the window, when I make statements like "ITS NOT JIM". I rely on what of a whole range of supporters say to me and the major consensus is that Jim Magilton is a step backwards. I am seriously considering not getting an away season ticket next season and they can stick the drum where it does not shine. (which will please many)

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
                            sam-qpr.

I'm not saying he would. Lets just say for argument we appointed Raneri. Could we not afford to pay him an excellent salary for the championship, knowing that the moment you appoint a manager of his calibre queues will forming at the box office.

Perception in football is vitally important. The moment you get a top manager, all views change. Just ask Ipswich fans. I wonder how many more renewed on the basis that Keane took charge, significantly more then would be the case if jim magilton had still been manager.
                            i do agree with you

but realistically are managers like sven or raneri going to come to us

we may have better potential than the teams around us but the table doesn't lie, we are a mid table team. we can come up with a list of excuses why we are there but the fact is we are there.

sometimes i think people get carried away with the spin and hype. "champions league in 5 years" and the rumours of players like del piero. but maybe we have a right to when we pay the prices that we do.

i really think this season is make or break. if we don't go up this season supporters will really turn against the board and won't fancy another season watching championship football. the board need to realise that this appointment will dertermine whether they succeed or fail

Comment

Excellent post Pete. One thing I would add is that Ipswich only got shot of Magilton because they wanted a 'big name'. No other reason.

But our owners only need look up the A12 to see what the appointment of Keane has done for their season ticket, corporate and merchandising sales for next season already. Speculate to accumulate.

Having said that if we had a straight choice of Magilton or LDC, Magilton every time.

Last chance saloon for the current QPR administration.

Comment

Working...
                              X