Briatore: "I still hold my 20% shares"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Briatore: "I still hold my 20% shares"

...for those wondering exactly what his current stake is.

Interview in arabianbusiness.com

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/58811...-month?start=2

Flavio of the month

by Joanne Bladd

Exiled from Formula 1, Briatore plans to concentrate on other investments “including Billionaire”.

In many ways, Briatore is right. The battle between rival engineers to research-and-develop themselves into pole position has sent industry costs soaring, leaving teams - even those with wealthy backers - struggling to break even. Even the more modest teams are spending $300m a year, while the biggest splash closer to $500m.

Races have been quick to mirror the money meltdown. Promoter Abu Dhabi spent a reported $45m on hosting its Yas Island race last year, reflecting a doubling of costs over five years. Two-day grandstand tickets for the city's Grand Prix this November cost $490. Paddock Club tickets, which promise full VIP treatment, are charged at a hefty $3,942. For some punters, the sport is proving more expensive than it's worth - average three-day attendance was down to 161, 613 in 2009 from 187,724 in 2008.

Much has been made of Briatore's potential return to Formula 1 in 2013. Coyly, the man himself won't rule it out. "When I stopped in 1996 I said I would never go back. I went back in 2000," he says, rolling his eyes. "You know, life is never-say-never. I have open eyes. I still have all my friends in Formula 1 - my best friend is in [the sport], Bernie.

"But I'm not looking for a job. It's nice to see Formula 1 from the side for once. You take away the emotion and you are a much better judge of the business."

Still, in three years Briatore might be looking for a fresh diversion. His other passion, west London football club QPR, was shunted to the back burner in February when he resigned his position as chairman after three years.

"I didn't walk away, I just decided to step down as chairman because, being honest, I didn't have the time. But I still hold my [20 percent] shares," he says.

And does he have any plans to sell them?

"No, no. I'm not in talks at the moment," he blusters. "But everything is for sale, everything is to buy. If you sell, you sell everything, you don't sell 20 percent."

Showman, playboy, businessman... sidestepping Formula 1 and football, what's next for the flamboyant Flavio? More of the same, apparently.

"I've worked all my life," he says, seriously. "I've done it by myself. Work was my baby before. I understand there are a lot of people who are fighting to finish the month - and I don't throw away money. It's very important to keep both feet on the floor."

Even those clad in $1,000 embroidered slippers.
    Last edited by Stanley; 14-05-2010, 10:41 PM.

I understand there are a lot of people who are fighting to finish the month !!!!!.........Which is why he priced so many joe blogg's out of the club.

must be the language barrier , theres a difference between " understand" and " am aware of"

Comment

I guess he has 20 and so does Bernie
      ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
      THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

I wish Bernie had a little more.

Comment

Mittals would have diluted Ecclestone's holding then?

Comment

To be fair, they have not said still how much they own.

We do know its a majority, which I guess is the most important thing
            ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
            THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Don't give a toss re the percentages as long as we get back on track, which it's feeling like we are

Comment

Working...
              X