The Importance of Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Importance of Team

Putting the final result to one side, the achievements of Fulham this season in the Europa Cup have demonstrated the importance of team over individuals. Add what Holloway has done at Blackpool and their achievements once again shows just how important team ethic is.

Both Fulham and Blackpool have experienced managers and are made up of a group of players who play for each other and understand what their role is within the team. Neither side is blessed with natural goalscorers or a creative geniuses but they are made up with players that many of our fans would turn their nose up.

A quick browse of the Blackpool squad and you'll find players like Burgess, Taylor-Fletcher and Ormerod who between them played 103 league matches this season and scored just 23 goals. But in comparison, Mackie's record in a relegated side season was better than that of Burgess and Taylor-Fletcher. Maybe changing managers, who then themselves change systems mean that his record could and would be even better in a settled side who played a particular system?

Darren Ambrose failed to score in 30 matches for Charlton last season but this season in a different team with a different manager he scored 15. I love my stats but what they don't show is context. Why is it that Ambrose can score 15 for one struggling side but can't for another? This time last year it would have been easy to say that his career was going nowhere and he would no way have expected to have had such a good season. Mackie is two years younger than Ambrose and if he, like Darren, is yet to reach his peak then lets not right him off before he's even kicked a ball for us (that's if he ever does).

On the commentary last night, they pointed out that the last time Hodgson (13 years ago) had made a European Final, Fulham were in the 4th tier of English football. If us fans get behind Warnock, back his decisions and pack out Loftus Road there is no reason that can't be us in a few years time. I'm in no way jealous of Fulham because I am proud our my team and our history but watching our little brother (because basically they are only bigger whilst they are successful) made me realise that we've been overtaken again and again by sides (Burnley, Hull, Stoke etc) who shouldn't have ever had the opportunity to do so.

Lets back Warnock, lets back his decisions and lets support his team.

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post
    Putting the final result to one side, the achievements of Fulham this season in the Europa Cup have demonstrated the importance of team over individuals. Add what Holloway has done at Blackpool and their achievements once again shows just how important team ethic is.

Both Fulham and Blackpool have experienced managers and are made up of a group of players who play for each other and understand what their role is within the team. Neither side is blessed with natural goalscorers or a creative geniuses but they are made up with players that many of our fans would turn their nose up.

A quick browse of the Blackpool squad and you'll find players like Burgess, Taylor-Fletcher and Ormerod who between them played 103 league matches this season and scored just 23 goals. But in comparison, Mackie's record in a relegated side season was better than that of Burgess and Taylor-Fletcher. Maybe changing managers, who then themselves change systems mean that his record could and would be even better in a settled side who played a particular system?

Darren Ambrose failed to score in 30 matches for Charlton last season but this season in a different team with a different manager he scored 15. I love my stats but what they don't show is context. Why is it that Ambrose can score 15 for one struggling side but can't for another? This time last year it would have been easy to say that his career was going nowhere and he would no way have expected to have had such a good season. Mackie is two years younger than Ambrose and if he, like Darren, is yet to reach his peak then lets not right him off before he's even kicked a ball for us (that's if he ever does).

On the commentary last night, they pointed out that the last time Hodgson (13 years ago) had made a European Final, Fulham were in the 4th tier of English football. If us fans get behind Warnock, back his decisions and pack out Loftus Road there is no reason that can't be us in a few years time. I'm in no way jealous of Fulham because I am proud our my team and our history but watching our little brother (because basically they are only bigger whilst they are successful) made me realise that we've been overtaken again and again by sides (Burnley, Hull, Stoke etc) who shouldn't have ever had the opportunity to do so.

key words at the bottom
    "birch said he rated u btw luke, congrats"

Comment

Brilliany, balanced piece as ever SirPie.
      By analogy, you could also suggest that Hooper (or someone similar) may not be so prolific in another team, particularly without the support of Hayes?

And, I would also add Leicester to your message, as like both Fulham and Blackpool, their efforts have been based on the whole team ethic and management style.
      #standuptocancer
      #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Yada, yada, yada, If QPR FC offered the same ticket prices as Fulham FC, people would back Warnock in greater numbers, but on the basis Fulham offer cheaper tickets to watch better football, where do you think people will go, especially as they are now prime time ?

"Adult and Concession Season Tickets for the 2010/11 season start at just £285, and Junior Season Tickets from just £95 – that’s only £15 and £5 per game respectively! We even have a limited number of FREE Season Tickets for Under 8s if requested at the same time as a full Adult Season Ticket"
        Last edited by paulmason; 13-05-2010, 11:53 AM.

Comment

You have saved me posting something similar, good post SPC.

Its astounding reading some of the tripe on here about potential transfer targets. We get a manager in who is going to assemble a squad of players who will be 100% committed to the cause and all we have is posters wanting to assemble a mismatch of players normally backed up with stats from Wikipedia.

The whole major issue with GP was that in his role as DoF he wasn't competent enough to identify transfer targets building an imbalanced squad lacking in fire power, cohesion and team spirit. Yet here we have fans applying the same basic logic in a sense as GP. Don't people understand that there is a little bit more to this football management game than meets the eye and we have the most experienced and IMO most competent manager in the league.

Lets show a little faith in Warnock, after all wasn't this what we wanted in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
            You have saved me posting something similar, good post SPC.

Its astounding reading some of the tripe on here about potential transfer targets. We get a manager in who is going to assemble a squad of players who will be 100% committed to the cause and all we have is posters wanting to assemble a mismatch of players normally backed up with stats from Wikipedia.

The whole major issue with GP was that in his role as DoF he wasn't competent enough to identify transfer targets building an imbalanced squad lacking in fire power, cohesion and team spirit. Yet here we have fans applying the same basic logic in a sense as GP. Don't people understand that there is a little bit more to this football management game than meets the eye and we have the most experienced and IMO most competent manager in the league.

Lets show a little faith in Warnock, after all wasn't this what we wanted in the first place?

Spot on.
            They seek him here.................

Comment

A great post Sirpie and summed up so well in these words

If us fans get behind Warnock, back his decisions and pack out Loftus Road there is no reason that can't be us in a few years time. I'm in no way jealous of Fulham because I am proud our my team and our history but watching our little brother (because basically they are only bigger whilst they are successful) made me realise that we've been overtaken again and again by sides (Burnley, Hull, Stoke etc) who shouldn't have ever had the opportunity to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by paulmason View Post
                Yada, yada, yada, If QPR FC offered the same ticket prices as Fulham FC, people would back Warnock in greater numbers, but on the basis Fulham offer cheaper tickets to watch better football, where do you think people will go, especially as they are now prime time ?

"Adult and Concession Season Tickets for the 2010/11 season start at just £285, and Junior Season Tickets from just £95 – that’s only £15 and £5 per game respectively! We even have a limited number of FREE Season Tickets for Under 8s if requested at the same time as a full Adult Season Ticket"
                Fulham are offering amazing deals but they have to because they are not historically a well supported team. I'd bet they have a lot of Chelsea fans who can't get in to Stamford Bridge watching them regularly. I know 2 people who hold Fulham STs because they are so cheap and want to watch the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd etc not because they support Fulham.

Whether it costs us a pound or forty to watch us play those who turn up should support Warnock and the team. Whether thats 1 man and his dog or 20,000 because it's clear that Warnock wants promotion even more than me. I love the Championship, I think it's a fantastic league where by default you have different Champions every year and the league is unpredictable but Warnock desperately wants Premiership football before he retires and this means he'll do all he can with whatever budget he has to bring in the players he believes are right for the team.

The fact he allowed Agyemang, Hall, Pellicori to stay away from the club and that he gave players like German and Parker an opportunity says that he knows what he wants and how he wants to achieve it.

All I'm saying is that we should back him. He is the first manager in many years who has the CV to be taken seriously. He knows this league, he knows the players and the oppositions and he'll get my backing on whoever he brings in.

Comment

Fulham are offering amazing deals but they have to because they are not historically a well supported team. I'd bet they have a lot of Chelsea fans who can't get in to Stamford Bridge watching them regularly. I know 2 people who hold Fulham STs because they are so cheap and want to watch the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd etc not because they support Fulham.

Whether it costs us a pound or forty to watch us play those who turn up should support Warnock and the team. Whether thats 1 man and his dog or 20,000 because it's clear that Warnock wants promotion even more than me. I love the Championship, I think it's a fantastic league where by default you have different Champions every year and the league is unpredictable but Warnock desperately wants Premiership football before he retires and this means he'll do all he can with whatever budget he has to bring in the players he believes are right for the team.

The fact he allowed Agyemang, Hall, Pellicori to stay away from the club and that he gave players like German and Parker an opportunity says that he knows what he wants and how he wants to achieve it.

All I'm saying is that we should back him. He is the first manager in many years who has the CV to be taken seriously. He knows this league, he knows the players and the oppositions and he'll get my backing on whoever he brings in.
                  SirPie, I agree and renewed my three ST's on Monday, but many people have been priced of of Supporting QPR FC, some might even go to see the odd Fulham FC game because they love football and its affordable. The days of people paying over the odds for shoddy goods is over and I do not think people will allow themselves to be mugged anymore. ST's sales are going through the roof where they are perceived as a good deal and going through the floor were there a perceived as not being a good deal.

Comment

SirPie, I agree and renewed my three ST's on Monday, but many people have been priced of of Supporting QPR FC, some might even go to see the odd Fulham FC game because they love football and its affordable. The days of people paying over the odds for shoddy goods is over and I do not think people will allow themselves to be mugged anymore. ST's sales are going through the roof where they are perceived as a good deal and going through the floor were there a perceived as not being a good deal.
                    I agree with all of that and I don't think we've been getting VFM. I do however think that we should back Warnock even if we disagree with the cost of watching his team, he doesn't control the prices.

Comment

I agree with all of that and I don't think we've been getting VFM. I do however think that we should back Warnock even if we disagree with the cost of watching his team, he doesn't control the prices.
                      No but the people who are are responsible for the prices are selling them again today on qpr.com which is not a good sign. I really think we will have it off next season and I'm really looking forward to it. I just think that if they had listened to fans concerns, they would be refusing ST's now, instead of trying to convince people to come home, value for money unite etc every damn day.

Comment

No but the people who are are responsible for the prices are selling them again today on qpr.com which is not a good sign. I really think we will have it off next season and I'm really looking forward to it. I just think that if they had listened to fans concerns, they would be refusing ST's now, instead of trying to convince people to come home, value for money unite etc every damn day.
                        All I can see on QPR.com is this.... ?

Comment

Let's not forget that "lil ole Fulham" have a side ram packed with international footballers - the majority of whom also had previous experience in European competition. Sure, they've done well this year but with that squad - they should be challenging the top 8 PL places every single season.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodge70 View Post
                            Let's not forget that "lil ole Fulham" have a side ram packed with international footballers - the majority of whom also had previous experience in European competition. Sure, they've done well this year but with that squad - they should be challenging the top 8 PL places every single season.
                            But no superstars. No players who'd walk into a top 8 side because they are too good for Fulham. They have internationals but arguably so do we. With the exception of Demsey none of them are their international teams main player.

They are a team who are all droppable and all pickable at the same time. The side isn't built round anyone and they all have the respect for their manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodge70 View Post
                              Glad you're not the only one who doesn't buy the media w*nkfest over that lot.

Yes... Woy is a top bloke, and a very good manager, and they've done well in Europe this season.

But I couldn't help a little smirk when Forlan scored that goal last night.

The thought of Al Fayed posturing around the streets of Hammersmith on the top of a bus, with the Uefa Cup tucked under his stumpy arm, wearing a stupid baseball cap, lapping up the applause from the dozens of Fulham fans, is not something that would make me feel all warm and fuzzy about our cozy little neighbours.

F**k 'em.

* Oh, and remember the last heroic English team to play in a Uefa Cup final.
                              Whatever happened to Middlesbrough, within 2 years?
                              Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

Working...
                              X