More games on Sky next season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More games on Sky next season

We'll get more TV money from next season but loads of games will be shifted for TV purposes - 5 games every weekend will be moved and clubs can feature on TV up to 24 times.

So, 3pm KO on Saturday will be something of a rarity. As a concession, selected games will be announced well in advance, once fixtures are announced they will select games all the way up to January.

Something called Sky+ is taking over iFollow. I'm fuzzy on the details aside from you'll need to be a Sky Sports subscriber or have NowTV sports pass to watch Sky+ at no extra cost.

https://www.efl.com/how-to-watch/sky-sports-q-and-a/

£935m over five seasons with 70% going to championship clubs. Should be worth circa £5.7m a season to us. It's gone up 30% on the last deal.

I did read once that the championship is the 4th most watched league on TV in the world. The £5.7m still doesn't seem a lot when prem clubs get £100m plus.....

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
      £935m over five seasons with 70% going to championship clubs. Should be worth circa £5.7m a season to us. It's gone up 30% on the last deal.

I did read once that the championship is the 4th most watched league on TV in the world. The £5.7m still doesn't seem a lot when prem clubs get £100m plus.....
      Sky (and others such as Dazn) wanted EFL to bin the Saturday 3pm "blackout". I suspect they'd pay a lot more if they could show games on Saturday afternoon... maybe this saturation coverage is another step towards the EFL eventually acquiescencing on that point. Another possibility might be the Championsip binning the EFL and becoming "Premier League 2" and cutting its own deal?

I do get the feeling that soon some snotty kid watching games on his phone in his bedroom will be the main customer, way ahead of the match going fan.

Comment

going to affect people's decision in whether it's worth getting a ST
        I must away now, I can no longer tarry
        This morning's tempest I have to cross
        I must be guided without a stumble
        Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
          Gone are the days where we used to be on sky sports most wks. What was it 4 games this season?!
          I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

With most of the midweek games being on Sky's red button, I think it was a lot more than 4.

Comment

I don't include that plus the red button doesn't mess with k/0 times which is what the posters was suggesting why fans won't renew their st
              I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
                I don't include that plus the red button doesn't mess with k/0 times which is what the posters was suggesting why fans won't renew their st
                Makes sense.

Comment

You don't currently get red button functionality with Now Sports Pass. However, next season it seems a Now pass will let you see loads of games. You can normally bag a Now Sports Pass at the reduced rate of £19.99 per month in August and that rate is normally fixed/locked in for the season. So, for a fiver a week you will get access to a live stream of about half of all our Fixtures. Plus, you also get all the other Sky Sports output too.... prem, F1, Golf etc etc.
                  It's quite hard to see how this won't dent attendances on a miserable November night when railways are on strike.

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
                    Think you’re right Saturday 3.00 works for everyone weekdays and late ko not so attractive

Comment

For big clubs the TV money is extra income. Part of ours will be compensation for those not turning up. But personally, I'll still go to 10-15 games a season home/away whether it's on TV or not. It's up to Marti and the lads to make sure we sell out.

Comment

Realistically how many games at home will remain at Saturday 3.00 do you think

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Hooper W12 View Post
                          Realistically how many games at home will remain at Saturday 3.00 do you think
                          Well 5 out of every 12 weekend games will be shunted.

There are normally 9 midweek rounds in a season plus bank holiday games.

So, you'd expect about 15 home games per season on a Saturday at 3pm. If 5/12ths get shunted that means we should be left with about EIGHT games at LR kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday next season.

Comment

I am interested to see how this plays out for us overseas viewers, I thought I read QPR+ won't be a thing anymore! I have an app where I can watch any of the matches on the regular Sky Sports network, hopefully next season's broadcasts on other Sky platforms are available, I do feel for local fans having start times and dates moved from a regular Saturday 3pm kick off!
                            @gatorTFC

Comment

If we have Sky money instead of paying punters perhaps we don't need a new stadium after all.....,

Comment

Working...
                              X