• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rs Under Marti

Here's our league record under Marti:

W D L f a
    12th Queens Park Rangers 29 5 5 5 19 18 5 4 5 11 13 -1 39

Sorry if it formats weird...

It's VERY symmetrical isn't it - virtually no difference between home and away form, fewer goals away from home suggests we're a bit tighter/cagier away from LR.

As you can see, we'd be 12th in a league that started on N0v 4th and 11 points clear of the drop.

For sake of comparison, here's Gareth's last 29 games (can't equate it to an accurate league position cos 6 different teams involved across 2 seasons):
    Queens Park Rangers 29 1 2 11 7 29 4 2 9 14 28 -36 19
    You get the feeling we'd be below Rotherham today if GA was still here.

Interesting stuff, MC has definitely helped put us in a position where we have a shout of staying up. I do think under GA we'd likely be down already.

What GA seemed pretty good at though was getting the odd backs against the wall, against the odds result, when it really mattered. I really hope MC has that up his sleeve, we'll need at least one of those in the next three games.

Comment

The squad was improved by four players in Jan and even Marti struggled with the players Gareth had at his disposal. I think Marti would still have got more out of Gareths squad, but don't forget the Jan window which followed a cash injection from Baitha naming rights.

I think the players knew the club were doing things on the cheap under Gareth and it was a hard ask from him. I feel very sorry that his opportunity to manage us came with so little investment.

Comment

There's no question on Marti being the right man for the job, anyone who does question the appointmnt needs their heads read.

There have been some moments to question though, Wednesday and Plymouth most recently.

My thoughts on Marti at the moment is he is over thinking things, and should concentrate on our strengths as a team, which will bring enough results to see us home. I don't think the team can play several different ways, we are confused at times. He'll get there and I really think we'll be upper mid table in this division next year should we stay up.

Comment

Thing that sticks out with GA is that shocking home record. There's just 1 win in that snapshot above but wasn't it virtually a whole calendar win without a win at LR?
          Good point above about Gareth pulling a rabbit out of the hat when it really mattered though... Wonder how he did it? Maybe he threatened to sing on the team bus all the way home

Comment

We can work on the training ground all week , but come Saturday dykes , Armstrong , Smyth have no composure in front of goal that's out of Marti's hands.
            Team and results have improved since GA left but maybe we sit in our current league position because that's where we should be .

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
              The squad was improved by four players in Jan and even Marti struggled with the players Gareth had at his disposal. I think Marti would still have got more out of Gareths squad, but don't forget the Jan window which followed a cash injection from Baitha naming rights.

I think the players knew the club were doing things on the cheap under Gareth and it was a hard ask from him. I feel very sorry that his opportunity to manage us came with so little investment.
              I have read the situation slightly differently, Sheep, but I admit I don't have any other information than the rest of us.

My take is that the club backed Ainsworth to the extent possible during the summer window and even a bit more than we should. Despite having to cut losses by around £15m compared to last season, Ainsworyh was allowed to sign expensive players such as Begovic, Cook and Colback. These are all in the £10-20k band per week. Dykes received a new contract based on £18k/w. On top of this, we also signed Fox, Cannon, Larkeche and Smyth, and Richards, that we were obliged to based on the agreement made the previous summer.

When signing all these new players, where some were expensive, I think the board was assuming there would be some outgoing players at the end of the transfer window - players such as Willock. However, it did not materialise.

I think the owners figured out in September that they needed to inject cash in ways that are compliant with FFP to stay inside the FFP threshold. Hence, they signed naming rights for the stadium, the main stand and the training complex. Moreover, they looked for savings everywhere: No new DOF as previously announced, Ramsey was made redundant and replaced by internal promotion, medical chief left and replace with internal promotion, CEO replaced with cheaper solution etc.

Nourry said, when the transfer window opened, that we had no money to invest in new players unless we managed to free up money somehow.

I think Nourry and Marti did brilliantly with the cards they were given, or they were exceptionally lucky. Out of the blue, B'ham wanted Dozzell on loan. Moreover, other clubs wanted Kelman, Duke-KcKenna and some fringe/U21 players. It might have freed up close to 20k per week plus a loan fee for Dozzell. Inside this tiny amount we probably managed to sign Frey and Andersen on contracts that are backended, meaning we pay them more in 24/25 when our FFP headroom is generous, and less during the last four months of 23/24, when headroom is tight. I think they get less than £10k between them between now and end of May, and probably twice that amount next season. On top, we signed Hodge and Hayden hours before the transfer deadline, when Wolves' and Newcastles other options had disappeared, on what has been described as ridiculously cheap deals. On top of this we extended Kelmans contract, which pushed some amoritization costs into next season. All in all, I think the squad reshuffle in January did not increase our spending.

Hence, I do not think Marti has a higher budget at his disposal than Ainsworth. He is simply a better manager, and he and Nourry are better deal makers than Ainsworth/Hoos.

Comment

All my work mates are saying we're down and unfortunately I tend to agree with them looking at the remaining fixture. I think Marti has done remarkably well and I think whatever happens he deserves a chance in whatever league we find ourselves in next season but it will be deemed as a slight failure if we go down from what was at 1 PT a promising position. Gareth will be the main reason but it will be sad if he can't see our survival out
                I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

We stayed up last season cos Beale took 32pts from 16 games, blimey, we were on course for 92pts!

In fairness, the rot had begun to set in towards the end of his reign, but the collapse and tumble down the league under Critch and Gareth was truly staggering.

Obviously, squads get recycled every 6 months so you can't compare like-for-like, but c'mon.... Ainsworth's stats are bloody awful whatever way you cut the cake. This doesn't mean he's not a great bloke and an Rs playing legend though.

Comment

We are up against it but not down. Anything can happen in any game. Personally for the two home games I would stick two up top and look to move the ball quickly, get on the front foot. The three midfielders behind a sole non-goal scoring striker is the root of a lot of our problems. Playing that way is a big part of our struggles as we just don't look joined up enough and carry too little threat. Depending on availability would have Frey and Dykes up top to soften up the opposition with Armstrong to come on second half. If need be if nobody is available I would maybe send Willock to play just behind the striker.

Playing two up top is not a vote of confidence in our strikers. We just need to try something different and go for it. What we are doing is not working.

Marti has done a great job and I think we would already be down under most managers. When you look at the forty odd games before he joined think we were the worst in the division. You can tell from his comments he is as frustrated as we are with the team's lack of goal prowess but he has nothing else to work with. Whatever division we are in will be interested to see what team looks like after a summer transfer window.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

I have read the situation slightly differently, Sheep, but I admit I don't have any other information than the rest of us.

My take is that the club backed Ainsworth to the extent possible during the summer window and even a bit more than we should. Despite having to cut losses by around £15m compared to last season, Ainsworyh was allowed to sign expensive players such as Begovic, Cook and Colback. These are all in the £10-20k band per week. Dykes received a new contract based on £18k/w. On top of this, we also signed Fox, Cannon, Larkeche and Smyth, and Richards, that we were obliged to based on the agreement made the previous summer.

When signing all these new players, where some were expensive, I think the board was assuming there would be some outgoing players at the end of the transfer window - players such as Willock. However, it did not materialise.

I think the owners figured out in September that they needed to inject cash in ways that are compliant with FFP to stay inside the FFP threshold. Hence, they signed naming rights for the stadium, the main stand and the training complex. Moreover, they looked for savings everywhere: No new DOF as previously announced, Ramsey was made redundant and replaced by internal promotion, medical chief left and replace with internal promotion, CEO replaced with cheaper solution etc.

Nourry said, when the transfer window opened, that we had no money to invest in new players unless we managed to free up money somehow.

I think Nourry and Marti did brilliantly with the cards they were given, or they were exceptionally lucky. Out of the blue, B'ham wanted Dozzell on loan. Moreover, other clubs wanted Kelman, Duke-KcKenna and some fringe/U21 players. It might have freed up close to 20k per week plus a loan fee for Dozzell. Inside this tiny amount we probably managed to sign Frey and Andersen on contracts that are backended, meaning we pay them more in 24/25 when our FFP headroom is generous, and less during the last four months of 23/24, when headroom is tight. I think they get less than £10k between them between now and end of May, and probably twice that amount next season. On top, we signed Hodge and Hayden hours before the transfer deadline, when Wolves' and Newcastles other options had disappeared, on what has been described as ridiculously cheap deals. On top of this we extended Kelmans contract, which pushed some amoritization costs into next season. All in all, I think the squad reshuffle in January did not increase our spending.

Hence, I do not think Marti has a higher budget at his disposal than Ainsworth. He is simply a better manager, and he and Nourry are better deal makers than Ainsworth/Hoos.
                      Great post as usual Oslo.

I'm so disappointed GA couldn't do the job and I'm not blind to the fact that Marti is an upgrade. All your points are valid, but I find it hard reading Gareth getting trashed. He did his best with the hand he was given..I hope Marti/Hourry give us a brighter future. The only constant in football is change.

Comment

Great post as usual Oslo.

I'm so disappointed GA couldn't do the job and I'm not blind to the fact that Marti is an upgrade. All your points are valid, but I find it hard reading Gareth getting trashed. He did his best with the hand he was given..I hope Marti/Hourry give us a brighter future. The only constant in football is change.
                        He did his best, yes. But his best wasn’t anywhere good enough. Fans have every right to express their disappointments and feelings. After all, the threat of relegation still looms large. If that isn’t reason enough to be angry, to be disappointed, to wish to discuss GAs failings, then what is.

If we stay up, then yes, discussions around GA will naturally fade away, because there will have been no huge repercussions. Until that time, it is only natural for fans to discuss this topic - because it is still raw, it is still current and it is still highly in context.

Your continued and robust defence of GA, despite all data points to the contrary, is admirable but also a bit odd. One can only assume your favourable perspective of GA as a player, and as a man, somewhat clouds your judgment when assessing his skills, and record, as QPRs manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post

He did his best, yes. But his best wasn’t anywhere good enough. Fans have every right to express their disappointments and feelings. After all, the threat of relegation still looms large. If that isn’t reason enough to be angry, to be disappointed, to wish to discuss GAs failings, then what is.

If we stay up, then yes, discussions around GA will naturally fade away, because there will have been no huge repercussions. Until that time, it is only natural for fans to discuss this topic - because it is still raw, it is still current and it is still highly in context.

Your continued and robust defence of GA, despite all data points to the contrary, is admirable but also a bit odd. One can only assume your favourable perspective of GA as a player, and as a man, somewhat clouds your judgment when assessing his skills, and record, as QPRs manager.
                          I am merely giving my opinion and never tried to suppress anyone's right to have another opinion.

As I said in my post I dont like seeing him trashed, he's a decent bloke and servant to the club. I also said Marti was an upgrade.

It's clear some of the players didn't buy into what Gareth was trying to do, and who knows what lies behind those individual errors that cost us so many points. It seems clear Willock wasn't going to bust a gut for GA. Marti has also benefited with the return to fitness of JCS and an additional four players into the squad in Jan.

As Warbs always used to say 'Fine margins'.

Clearly a change was needed and the end justifies the means. But, if I ever meet Gareth I'd happy have a pint with him and thank him for his efforts. But I wouldn't trash him on here if I wasn't prepared to do it to his face.

Comment

I am merely giving my opinion and never tried to suppress anyone's right to have another opinion.

As I said in my post I dont like seeing him trashed, he's a decent bloke and servant to the club. I also said Marti was an upgrade.

It's clear some of the players didn't buy into what Gareth was trying to do, and who knows what lies behind those individual errors that cost us so many points. It seems clear Willock wasn't going to bust a gut for GA. Marti has also benefited with the return to fitness of JCS and an additional four players into the squad in Jan.

As Warbs always used to say 'Fine margins'.

Clearly a change was needed and the end justifies the means. But, if I ever meet Gareth I'd happy have a pint with him and thank him for his efforts. But I wouldn't trash him on here if I wasn't prepared to do it to his face.
                            Where he is being “trashed?”

On your other point, if players didn’t buy into GA, then it’s not hard to see why given his overall management and football style. Take for example, his management style. GAs own self-promotion was that he was Mr Positive. But in reality, he was far more Mr Negative.

Trying to Gee players up with an underdog mentality (translation: we are second best in quality, but we will out work you instead), may have worked at little Wycombe who recruited non-league players, but to a group of largely ex premier league academy players, it was never going to generate buy in. In fact it probably eroded any respect and buy in. Baffling approach from a man who claimed he was big on culture. He needed to read the room, and adapt his Wycombe experience, but he didn’t, and couldn’t.

“The championship is scary” - before a ball had been kicked.

“It’s tough” on repeat, literally every interview.

“I think we are the underdogs against Wigan, even though I know they are bottom of the table” - alarm bells ringing loudly at this point. How NOT to inspire confidence, mind-boggling really.

And upon every defeat, the solution…. “We have to work harder”. Nothing about patterns of play, keeping the ball better, tactics, quality. Imagine being a player and hearing this as the go-to solution. A complete and utter turn off.

Good managers inspire, poor ones don’t. Unfortunately, GAs inferiority undertone that was evident in all communications, was probably the primary result of any lack of buy in. And that’s before we even begin to discuss his attritional long ball football style- choosing to enforce this upon a group of largely technical players was just utter madness.

He signed his own death knell on both counts - choosing the wrong management approach, and choosing the wrong football approach. You can choose to blame the players all you want, but the data comparing GA and MC does not lie. It’s not hard to see where the problem was.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post

Where he is being “trashed?”

On your other point, if players didn’t buy into GA, then it’s not hard to see why given his overall management and football style. Take for example, his management style. GAs own self-promotion was that he was Mr Positive. But in reality, he was far more Mr Negative.

Trying to Gee players up with an underdog mentality (translation: we are second best in quality, but we will out work you instead), may have worked at little Wycombe who recruited non-league players, but to a group of largely ex premier league academy players, it was never going to generate buy in. In fact it probably eroded any respect and buy in. Baffling approach from a man who claimed he was big on culture. He needed to read the room, and adapt his Wycombe experience, but he didn’t, and couldn’t.

“The championship is scary” - before a ball had been kicked.

“It’s tough” on repeat, literally every interview.

“I think we are the underdogs against Wigan, even though I know they are bottom of the table” - alarm bells ringing loudly at this point. How NOT to inspire confidence, mind-boggling really.

And upon every defeat, the solution…. “We have to work harder”. Nothing about patterns of play, keeping the ball better, tactics, quality. Imagine being a player and hearing this as the go-to solution. A complete and utter turn off.

Good managers inspire, poor ones don’t. Unfortunately, GAs inferiority undertone that was evident in all communications, was probably the primary result of any lack of buy in. And that’s before we even begin to discuss his attritional long ball football style- choosing to enforce this upon a group of largely technical players was just utter madness.

He signed his own death knell on both counts - choosing the wrong management approach, and choosing the wrong football approach. You can choose to blame the players all you want, but the data comparing GA and MC does not lie. It’s not hard to see where the problem was.
                              You've made a good argument for thrashing him there.

I can only reiterate what I've already said. The players didn't buy in to what he was trying to achieve and clearly Marti is the better manager at this level.

I never argued against GA's sacking but I was sad he couldn't make it work. We are in a better place and the end justifies the means.

PS.......great hoof up field by Begs for Dunne's wonder goal the other week. As a keeper he does like the odd long ball these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X