Our poor home form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our poor home form

Much has been written about this phenomenon, whilst away we can be quite good. I guess one factor alone is not responsible but this is my belief.
    AWAY - The other team has to come at us and we are okay on the break.
    HOME - We have to make the play and we generally fail. For me, the main contributory factor in this is that we nearly always have a complete void, in the centre of our attack. Our usual attackers are rarely to be found there, hence, most of our goals come from defenders. This has been a season long issue and Marti recognised it and signed Frey, who has admittedly struggled so far.
    However we have seen glimpses of him worrying a defender, something nobody else really does.
    we almost never score a poachers goal because we don't have a poacher. If you can picture in your mind, the positions that Chair, Dykes, Willock, Anderson and Smyth take up, this is no wonder. (I leave Anderson out of this post). Just a thought but I think if we had kept Chris Martin on into this season, I reckon he would have scored more goals than all of our forwards put together. So, the lesson, if fit, Frey must play. Opposing Centre backs at LR have an easy time of it, with nobody to look after and can just generally "sweep up"

Agree about needing a goal poacher, the amount of times you see a dangerous ball into the oppo penalty area and not 1 of our players is there to receive it.

Comment

I don’t think the size of our pitch helps either it’s easy to compact us at home generally we’ve been better on larger pitches

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy24 View Post
        I don’t think the size of our pitch helps either it’s easy to compact us at home generally we’ve been better on larger pitches
        I think the same.

I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

The size of our pitch may indeed be an issue. However trying to get someone to score who isn't there seems insurmountable.

Comment

Originally posted by daveshads View Post
            The size of our pitch may indeed be an issue. However trying to get someone to score who isn't there seems insurmountable.
            How we put ourselves in a position of no cf of any real quality is poor but give Nourry and MC time I reckon we’re on the right path

Comment

The players we have do not lend themselves to two up top and we carry no real threat. Makes it easier for clubs to pick us off. It means we rarely get ourselves convincingly in front so cannot get on the front foot in home games. Away one up top suits us far better as onus is on opposition to try and come at us.

We simply have not had money for either a permanent proper goal scorer or a top class Premiership loan looking to cut their teeth in the Championship. Dykes has had a poor season, Armstrong useful sub but lacks guile and technical ability to be a starter so we are left with Frey who tries and is a physical presence but so far not much in the way of goals. If we had the players personally I would play two up top at home so Frey had a strike partner which would suit better his style of play and move the ball quickly down the flanks and then into the strikers. Difficulty is we have some creative midfielders but don't think any are really out and out wingers so we are trying to accommodate them all into a style of play that we have struggled with for a few years now. Can work well but quite often doesn't and particularly at home.

If we stay up and can change the squad in the summer will be interested to see how we then line up. My gut feeling is we will set ourselves up differently.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                The players we have do not lend themselves to two up top and we carry no real threat. Makes it easier for clubs to pick us off. It means we rarely get ourselves convincingly in front so cannot get on the front foot in home games. Away one up top suits us far better as onus is on opposition to try and come at us.

We simply have not had money for either a permanent proper goal scorer or a top class Premiership loan looking to cut their teeth in the Championship. Dykes has had a poor season, Armstrong useful sub but lacks guile and technical ability to be a starter so we are left with Frey who tries and is a physical presence but so far not much in the way of goals. If we had the players personally I would play two up top at home so Frey had a strike partner which would suit better his style of play and move the ball quickly down the flanks and then into the strikers. Difficulty is we have some creative midfielders but don't think any are really out and out wingers so we are trying to accommodate them all into a style of play that we have struggled with for a few years now. Can work well but quite often doesn't and particularly at home.

If we stay up and can change the squad in the summer will be interested to see how we then line up. My gut feeling is we will set ourselves up differently.
                When we did have the money Les splashed it out on Washington and Bonne and Dykes not exactly value for money probably 4-5m down the kharzi

Comment

We’ve just got to have some faith that the 12 year old they’ve brought in as CEO can get some players in over the summer

Comment

It was all there in plain view for all to see again tonight!!!

Comment

We should ask Leeds and Preston if we can switch the fixtures to their gaffs

Comment

Working...
                      X