Squad improvement for 24/25 season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad improvement for 24/25 season.

Well, this is getting ahead of things a little. What squad improvements are we thinking for next season. A full off-season to recruit could be a massive next step. Let us start with stay, leave, and player incoming recommendations.

In this order
    Box to box midfielder to run the middle with Fielf and Colback
    Striker
    Box to box midfielder for rotation
    A central defender for rotation
    Goalie

I wouldn't be sad to see Asmir between the posts again next year, but we should look to the future. We need those midfielders as Hayden and Hodge go back. A striker is so so important also.

Replace anyone we sell

Any can be loanees

Comment

Players to stay.
      1. Dunne.
      2. Willock.
      3. Chair.
      4. Armstrong.

Players to Leave.
      1. Begovic.
      2. Archer.
      3. Kakay.
      4. Adomah.
      5. Dykes.
      6. Frey

incoming Players
      1. New keeper.
      2 2 strikers.
      3. Replacement for Chair if he's sold.

Comment

I literally cannot see the point in wasting time, money and effort trying to develop goalies when it's really easy to pick up a veteran like Asmir.
        We spent about 25yrs on bringing Lumley through, madness! Even if against all odds we develop an adequate keeper, they don't tend to attract big fees so I dunno what the upside is.
        As you say, I would not have a problem with Begovic being out No.1 next term. The only issue might be if his wages were a drain on us.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
          I literally cannot see the point in wasting time, money and effort trying to develop goalies when it's really easy to pick up a veteran like Asmir.
          We spent about 25yrs on bringing Lumley through, madness! Even if against all odds we develop an adequate keeper, they don't tend to attract big fees so I dunno what the upside is.
          As you say, I would not have a problem with Begovic being out No.1 next term. The only issue might be if his wages were a drain on us.
          If we can be mathematically safe with three games spare, I suspect Walsh will finish the season off. How he gets on will drive if Begs stays or if we have a new nos 1 from in-house.

Beat Sheff Wed & Plymouth and draw against Hull and Walsh should play from the Preston game.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
            I think its one of our least important positions to look at. We seem to be ok across the park if we keep this squad and loanees return.

We could go on and on about players like Paal, but in reality they are not going to be replaced with our budget.

I don't think it's overly optimisitic for us to be hovering arounf the upper mid table and play off places next season with some good recruitment.

I also think that's as long as Marti will last, in the current game he's poached next year, unless we find a way to keep him by pushing for promotion and finding some money. We've played some decent football this term but we are still a way off being ready to go up, 1, 2, 3 years? More?

We don't need to `develop' goalies, i agree entirely, I like Asmir and he has assisted in 2 very important goals, saved plenty, made afew mistakes, all goalies do. He's 36 though, 1 - 2 more years in a side that really could push twoard the top end of the table in 3 years or so. I think a key point for me is that all of our squad will likely have moved on in 3 years, but a goalie can be the anchor to a squad, many do stay for a long time purely because of thier longevity, so I'd be keeping an eye on potential replacements.

Box to box midfielder to run the middle with Field and Colback
            Striker
            Box to box midfielder for rotation
            A central defender for rotation
            Goalie

This is assuming we stay up of course

Comment

Begs is on over £30k a week.

I think we should develop GKs as it wouldnt be good to have our development and junior teams playing without one.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
                Begs is on over £30k a week.

I think we should develop GKs as it wouldnt be good to have our development and junior teams playing without one.
                Can't remember last one we developed Tony Roberts ? Lumley you can scrap he was shite

I still think the lad at Rotherham decent in a poor side as for Begovic on 30k can't believe that

Hayden apparently wants to stay and took a cut in wages to come on loan. I just think that MC if backed will get us maybe to play offs but everyone knows we need a CF and without one we've got no hope of getting into top 6 but would be around top half

Been a bit disappointed with Hodge looks a player obviously need games but he don't look like one that can grab a game and change it but if we managed to do a new deal with Willock, chair issues getting resolved Lucas Anderson them 3 plus Smyth as sub think were ok with Colback and field in MF

Who we can pick up as a CF maybe a loan deal is the key one,

Think MC will get Kolli involved again and the lad Alfie Tuck looks a prospect probably in cups as well

Having the solid pros like Cook and Morgan Fox around will help our youth as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy24 View Post

Can't remember last one we developed Tony Roberts ? Lumley you can scrap he was shite

I still think the lad at Rotherham decent in a poor side as for Begovic on 30k can't believe that

Hayden apparently wants to stay and took a cut in wages to come on loan. I just think that MC if backed will get us maybe to play offs but everyone knows we need a CF and without one we've got no hope of getting into top 6 but would be around top half

Been a bit disappointed with Hodge looks a player obviously need games but he don't look like one that can grab a game and change it but if we managed to do a new deal with Willock, chair issues getting resolved Lucas Anderson them 3 plus Smyth as sub think were ok with Colback and field in MF

Who we can pick up as a CF maybe a loan deal is the key one,

Think MC will get Kolli involved again and the lad Alfie Tuck looks a prospect probably in cups as well

Having the solid pros like Cook and Morgan Fox around will help our youth as well.
                  I hear you on the GK front, but if Marti thinks Walsh or Mahoney are good enough that's good enough for me. Begs was a free transfer signing and a former premiership keeper so will be on high wages. I got his salary from here, but other sites state the same. It doesn't seem unrealistic as a free transfer experienced signing....but a huge amount for us. Perhaps after the Lumley's we decided to buy in for the reasons you state. But I still hope to develop our own as it's cheaper. We need GKs in the development sides so hopefully one will come good and decent loans out.

How accurate this salary info is....who knows?

https://www.capology.com/club/qpr/salaries/

Comment

If we manage to keep hold of Marti then I believe following players are leaving or are likely to leave:

Asmir
                    Hodge
                    Hayden
                    Willock
                    Kakay
                    EDB
                    Adomah
                    Drewe
                    Walsh
                    Archer

Of those think (assuming we do now stay up) should offer new contract to Willock albeit suspect he will go a little further up food chain on much better terms. That said if he likes playing under Marti then wouldn't rule him out staying. Possibly Asmir depending on club's plans for goalie position.

We should take option on Dunne and Armstrong and see if we can agree longer deals with both.

Chair will likely attract interest and unless he signs a contract extension think we need to cash in while he has two years remaining.

Of rest read JCS attracting some interest.

Incoming need permanent or loan replacements for Hodge and Hayden, if a reasonable deal can be reached then sign Hayden on permanent deal. Possibly new goalie, replacement for any regular first teamers who leave and a goal scoring striker.

We actually look in pretty good shape for next season subject to not farking up the run in and Marti staying.

Comment

Agree with suggestions for releasing players.

I'd add players on loan, Gubbins, Duke-McKenna, Dozzell & Kelman to release list.

Kargbo and Pedder, both 22. Release.

Comment

Dozzell is my concern. Can see club taking risk by extending contract to try and get a fee and we end up keeping him meaning we lose one or two squad places to accommodate his wages. Can't see we have missed having him in the side so would rather just let him go.

Comment

Originally posted by Isleworth116 View Post
                          Agree with suggestions for releasing players.

I'd add players on loan, Gubbins, Duke-McKenna, Dozzell & Kelman to release list.

Kargbo and Pedder, both 22. Release.
                          Are Gubbins & Duke-McKenna having really bad loans then?

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                            Dozzell is my concern. Can see club taking risk by extending contract to try and get a fee and we end up keeping him meaning we lose one or two squad places to accommodate his wages. Can't see we have missed having him in the side so would rather just let him go.
                            We have a much stronger first team without him, vastly improved midfield, but still room to get better. I can see the opposite of him getting a new deal, club just wanting him off the books asap.

Comment

SDM will be 24 soon, and Gubbins 23. Neither can be considered young or up and coming sellable assets, and neither are good enough as squad members.

Comment

Working...
                              X