Leicester charged with financial monkey business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leicester charged with financial monkey business

I mentioned them in the Forest thread. Prem have now charged them, with EFL likely to follow. Deduct them 200 points and they might finish below us!

I'm sure it's all geared for a point deduction from the start of next season. I doubt there'll be enough time to stop their promotion. Minus four points to start their prem season whilst still picking up loads of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
      I'm sure it's all geared for a point deduction from the start of next season. I doubt there'll be enough time to stop their promotion. Minus four points to start their prem season whilst still picking up loads of cash.
      I just can't see other clubs, say Leeds, lying down and taking that. I don't blame them either.... its getting to ridiculous levels. I think there needs to be zero tolerance and The Prem and EFL need to get joined up on the punishments. The concept of a club charged with breaking FSR being promoted is completely unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

I just can't see other clubs, say Leeds, lying down and taking that. I don't blame them either.... its getting to ridiculous levels. I think there needs to be zero tolerance and The Prem and EFL need to get joined up on the punishments. The concept of a club charged with breaking FSR being promoted is completely unacceptable.
        As I read it, the breach is during their time in the Premiership. Even at an appeal stage, I just can't see a points deduction being applied to the championship. Stopping them getting back there would be effectively relegation as a punishment.

For breaches in the Prem they will start on either minus 4 or 6 if they get promoted this season. They'll be up against it to stay there with that.....specially with an ever aging Vardy still in their squad.

Comment

But what if they don't go up, they do a "QPR" and stay down for 10 seasons - how/when does Prem apply a poxy 4-point deduction? This is why there needs to be joined up action between Prem and EFL.

They WILL breach the EFL rules this season too as the scale of their rolling losses, even adjusted to account for them as a newly relegated club, means they have overspent.

They simply cannot be allowed to go up and should be stripped of parachute money too.

Comment

I see Leicester have now instigated legal proceedings against Prem and EFL - it really has got to a ridiculous stage where results and league tables aren't the whole story anymore.
            If leagues can ban clubs from joining alternative or unsanctioned competitions (ie the European "super league") I don't see why they can't ban clubs from taking legal action against them. Rule 1 should be teams abide by the rules and don't argue about it. Failure to comply is automatic expulsion.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
              I see Leicester have now instigated legal proceedings against Prem and EFL - it really has got to a ridiculous stage where results and league tables aren't the whole story anymore.
              If leagues can ban clubs from joining alternative or unsanctioned competitions (ie the European "super league") I don't see why they can't ban clubs from taking legal action against them. Rule 1 should be teams abide by the rules and don't argue about it. Failure to comply is automatic expulsion.
              Sounds kinda dystopian.

When money gets involved in sport, or anything really, trying to regulate it becomes so tricky and someone will always feel they've been hard done by.

I don't think FFP in it's current model works, like in F1 it's almost impossible for a team to get to the top sustainably. Funnily enough Leicester bucking that trend, but only once and now look at them.

The only way to change it is to completely overhaul the sport and pick up a form of US draft system, salary caps, franchises whereby club revenue is not as directly related to the players on the pitch (It always is to a degree). But that will never, ever happen.

Fundamentally why do we have ffp? Is it to prevent clubs going into administration, or to level the playing field. I'd argue the current setup does neither effectively, however we, recipients of one of if not the biggest punsihment ever, seem to be or have very much learnt our lesson and if we survive this season we'll be moving towards a healthy club, however we could have easily gone down last year and be in serious financial trouble now.

Comment

Working...
              X