New goalkeeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New goalkeeper

I see we're interested in Stanley a black goal keeper from Nigeria. I don't want this to go silly and I'm all for equality but would you be happy to have an African goalkeeper?! I personally can't think of a good one and do they have the right temperament to make this challenging role a success? Obviously asmir is no spring chicken so definitely an area we need
    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

No way are we in for this guy. Never heard of him..I'd rather we started lining up the Rotherham keeper for next year. He's too good to be in league 1 next year.....as long as we stay up that is!!!

Comment

I'm more than happy with Asmir. I can't see point in buying or developing keepers when it's normally very easy to pickup up a veteran keeper for free. Being African is irrelevant, it's about the quality of football learning and development he's had and the level/standard of football he's played.

Comment

Mahoney has established himself at Swindon, so surely he's a contender to take the jersey.

Walsh has only made seven appearances for Accrington, so is he injuried or back with us?

Let's not write off our young keepers.
        Last edited by SheepRanger; 03-03-2024, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Mahoney was going great at Swindon but then had a season ending injury so he's back with us. Just not sure he's tall enough. Always think a keeper has to be 6"3 minimum for me..especially in the championship. We are bad enough at set pieces, asmir is big but stays on his line mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
            I'm more than happy with Asmir. I can't see point in buying or developing keepers when it's normally very easy to pickup up a veteran keeper for free. Being African is irrelevant, it's about the quality of football learning and development he's had and the level/standard of football he's played.
            You might be happy with asmir but the article highlights that our manager likes to play out from the back and asmirs kicking ability isn't to the level that our new model and stats driven look will be accepting plus he's 1 of the biggest earners so I think the article is spot on and an area we will look to change

Comment

Asmir was only a stop gap. We've had years of very average keepers and I'm sure we're using this season to search for a long term solution and hopefully someone with some sell on value. Even before he first appearance I didn't think Asmir would be with us for 24/25. I'm sure Archer will be on his way too.

I would love to see Walsh and/or Mahoney involved but if they have to fight for second fiddle then so be it. Ths four Jan signings has given me hope that if we sign a new keeper it will be for the right reasons.

Comment

Lad from Rotherham for me

Asmir may do another season he’s not really let us down though and a good pro in dressing room

Comment

In this division Asmir is great, plus i think there's something in his contract about youth development or coaching tied to the club?

Comment

Asmir has been responsible for a few goals, that's not what you need from your keeper. Mistakes happen, but he's not strong enough on crosses, set pieces, and that punch out that let them get one back at Leicester was criminal.

As for the OP.
                    I thought we were beyond this kind of racist ########?
                    Dieng, Mendy, Grobbelaar to name 3 that you've probably heard of. But there are a ton of good African GKs.

​​

Comment

Afcon should surely play into the decision. it's maybe not so bad for a GK as there's usually a dcent sub in any squad itching for a call up though I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by LordLoftus View Post
                        Asmir has been responsible for a few goals, that's not what you need from your keeper. Mistakes happen, but he's not strong enough on crosses, set pieces, and that punch out that let them get one back at Leicester was criminal.

As for the OP.
                        Dieng, Mendy, Grobbelaar to name 3 that you've probably heard of. But there are a ton of good African GKs.

​​

Interesting response but I expected one to jump onto it. Diengs mother is swiss and is that the best you can come up with. If you say there are a ton of good African keepers then name them? Don't say onana because he's also a liability

Comment

Originally posted by LordLoftus View Post

As for the OP.

​​

Wasn't criminal at all. Sat directly behind the trajectory you could see it swerving all over the place, It was like a corkscrew, changed direction at least twice. It became all about just keeping it from going in, just get something on it and hope for the best.
                          You wouldn't dig out a keeper for parrying a penalty only for the taker to knock the follow up in - I don't see Saturday as much different, it certainly wasnt "criminal".

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post

Interesting response but I expected one to jump onto it. Diengs mother is swiss and is that the best you can come up with. If you say there are a ton of good African keepers then name them? Don't say onana because he's also a liability
                            Tell me, how many names do you need to make you think that some people on a literal continent that makes up like 18% of the world population might have one or two people that could be a decent goalkeeper for us at championship level?

​​​
                            ​​​

Comment

• SheepRanger
                              SheepRanger commented
                              Editing a comment
                              No direct insults please.
                              Accusation deleted

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

Wasn't criminal at all. Sat directly behind the trajectory you could see it swerving all over the place, It was like a corkscrew, changed direction at least twice. It became all about just keeping it from going in, just get something on it and hope for the best.
                            You wouldn't dig out a keeper for parrying a penalty only for the taker to knock the follow up in - I don't see Saturday as much different, it certainly wasnt "criminal".
                            I accept different opinions on this, but I felt he shouldn't have pushed it back out in front of him and I only watched on TV live and the goal slowmo replays. ​​​

Comment

Working...
                            X