What's his short term plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's his short term plan?

We all like the cut of Marti's jib, perhaps we got carried away with 3 wins on the bounce though.

Is his plan with team selection and subs based on getting everyone involved, contributing, keeping players fresh?

Is there more to it with finding out who is up to the task ahead of January? Surely he can't have missed how poor Kakay was against Plymouth? Dozzell also.

Does he have to do this to try and prevent injuries?

I'm sure the answer is a little of all of this but I think we and the club would love to see points on the board at the moment, then start rotating. I feel he should know our best 11 against any given team by now, but the last 2 games have me wondering. I don't mind the results, they are what they are and this is football, I did watch Plymouth, i did not watch Wednesday. I do question the thought behind the men chosen to compete in these games.

I don't know what Dozzell does in training, but all the managers seem to love him. He obviously leaves his brain at the gate come match day.

Comment

My view is that he is a really good manager who longer term will be fantastic, my nervousness is that we still aren’t out the bottom 3. I know plenty of time left but can’t see us getting any points v Saints or Ipswich and maybe only a point v Millwall which could mean we are 5/6 points adrift again

Comment

Originally posted by Dorsetqpr View Post
        I don't know what Dozzell does in training, but all the managers seem to love him. He obviously leaves his brain at the gate come match day.
        I agree entirely.

Comment

I dunno. Our lack of energy yesterday puzzled me, particular if the rotation of players is about trying to keep them fresh and to play with pace/intensity for whole 90 min.

We do have a week til next game then it's something like 4 games in 8 days isn't it? Presume he'll keep on doing what he's been doing.

God knows what he's learned from last 2 outings cos half of them appear to be trying to play themselves out of contention for selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
            I dunno. Our lack of energy yesterday puzzled me, particular if the rotation of players is about trying to keep them fresh and to play with pace/intensity for whole 90 min.

We do have a week til next game then it's something like 4 games in 8 days isn't it? Presume he'll keep on doing what he's been doing.

God knows what he's learned from last 2 outings cos half of them appear to be trying to play themselves out of contention for selection.
            Energy was down against Plymouth aswell. I also noted it was the first post match i disagreed with, he talked about how hard the lads worked, i didn't see that till the 80 minute mark.

Comment

Always always play your strongest 11 , whatever the competition .... Winning is winning.
              How many times do we have to come on here complaining about Richards , kakay and Dozzell .
              He must know they ain't good enough.

Comment

I think a lot of managers think they bring more to the table than the ones before them. But surely Marti has seen dossiers on this players strengths and weaknesses. To think that he can change their abilities overnight might be an
                ego thing?

Giving so many players "an opportunity" in our six pointer games is plain stupid in my opinion. These are our must win games. He can experiment in games where the odds are against us. Surely this is nothing new and not unique to championship football. I think hes messed up in the last two games, but hes getting a pass due to the points hes already picked up.

I can only assume that his gamble with recent selections cones with a back up plan. If they fail then better players will definstely be coming in during early Jan, which will secure our survival despite these two disasters.

He wouldnt have risked losing points in these two games if the squad was going tuo stay the same till the end of the season........surely??????

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
                  I think a lot of managers think they bring more to the table than the ones before them. But surely Marti has seen dossiers on this players strengths and weaknesses. To think that he can change their abilities overnight might be an
                  ego thing?

Giving so many players "an opportunity" in our six pointer games is plain stupid in my opinion. These are our must win games. He can experiment in games where the odds are against us. Surely this is nothing new and not unique to championship football. I think hes messed up in the last two games, but hes getting a pass due to the points hes already picked up.

I can only assume that his gamble with recent selections cones with a back up plan. If they fail then better players will definstely be coming in during early Jan, which will secure our survival despite these two disasters.

He wouldnt have risked losing points in these two games if the squad was going tuo stay the same till the end of the season........surely??????
                  I think Plymouth we were caught off guard, they had us. Who knows what could've happened if the red card never came out but we were hanging on. I don't think picking Kakay for that game, one of the biggest culprits of the first 25 was a terrible idea for a new manager, not great, but not a WTF moment, same for Dozzell. Even bringing on Richards, wrong in hindsight, you can think of reasons why in the moment. However, to use both players in the next game after being so so poor, and using Armstrong as a lone striker in this system which as has been pointed out is simply premature is very odd.

Plymouth was a who knows, Wednesday was a what you doing mate?

Comment

Assuming short term means end of season.

Avoid relegation. 14 players out of contract this summer. Offer fresh contracts to regular starters, everyone else, time to leave. I'm thinking 13 out of 14 will leave. Keep Field, nobody else.

Serious cull of development players aged 20-22. We can't afford to give them more time.

Look for L1 players who possibly could step up to Championship. Players aged 20-22, regularly starting games.

Comment

Originally posted by Isleworth116 View Post
                      Assuming short term means end of season.

Avoid relegation. 14 players out of contract this summer. Offer fresh contracts to regular starters, everyone else, time to leave. I'm thinking 13 out of 14 will leave. Keep Field, nobody else.

Serious cull of development players aged 20-22. We can't afford to give them more time.

Look for L1 players who possibly could step up to Championship. Players aged 20-22, regularly starting games.
                      Short term means whats he doing right now, last few games and next few games.

You're right but my question really is what's he up to with team selection and subs at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post

Short term means whats he doing right now, last few games and next few games.

You're right but my question really is what's he up to with team selection and subs at the moment.
                        My guess, forced to rest key players. Simple as that.

I reckon he knows best 11, missing reliable players to cover for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Isleworth116 View Post

My guess, forced to rest key players. Simple as that.

I reckon he knows best 11, missing reliable players to cover for them.
                          Fri 1st Dec - Preston

Sat 9th Dec - Hull (8 days rest)

Wed 13th Dec - Plymouth (4 days rest)

Sat 16th Dec - Sheff Wed (3 days rest)

Sat 23rd Rec - Southampton (7 days rest)

That is not a busy schedule for professional athletes.

He was trialing some fringe players and taking off key players who get booked to avoid them getting a one match ban from being sent off with another yellow.

Championship players are more robust than he thinks.

He sacrificed points unnecessarily. Or hes playing a game to get more players. How much money has it taken to ditch GA & team and bring in Marti & team? If new players dont come in during than then I would have prefered to keep GA and use that money on players.

Comment

Fri 1st Dec - Preston

He was trialing some fringe players and taking off key players who get booked to avoid them getting a one match ban from being sent off with another yellow.

He sacrificed points unnecessarily. Or hes playing a game to get more players. How much money has it taken to ditch GA & team and bring in Marti & team? If new players dont come in during than then I would have prefered to keep GA and use that money on players.
                            What about Christmas parties. Not expecting Taylor Richards to hit dance floor without some rest.

Comment

Fri 1st Dec - Preston

Thinking about it, in past we've gone for player quality over player durability.

Clarke-Salter for example, excellent Championship centre half but has struggled keeping fit. Stop start.

Whilst I agree most players should cope with schedule you've listed, not sure ours will.

My view, we should sacrifice some quality for durability.

Comment

Working...
                              X