Another football club getting a new ground before QPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another football club getting a new ground before QPR

Wealdstone fc of the national league have just announced plans for a new stadium in Hillingdon, yet another team getting a new stadium before us and bang in the heart of the QPR fan base, WHY CANT WE SEEM TO GET A NEW STADIUM, WHAT IS GOING ON?

https://www.wealdstone-fc.com/post/c...d-ddaa3ef3dcf9

Comment

Luton even worse https://footballgroundguide.com/news...-approved.html

Comment

We couldn’t build a stadium there big enough if they was building a 20/25k stadium I would understand your frustration but it’s 6k . If they made it to the football league they would need to move again as transport and parking etc wouldn’t work .

Comment

Not this again ,we can't fill the one we've already got
          Do we need a half empty stadium in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

A new stadium isn’t first of all about increasing capacity, but creating more none-matchday revenue. It can improve our annual budget by several millions.

Comment

They have a great website.

https://www.wfchistory.com/2020/post...-0-wealdstone/

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
                A new stadium isn’t first of all about increasing capacity, but creating more none-matchday revenue. It can improve our annual budget by several millions.
                I'd like to see evidence of this in terms of a big flash stadium in a built-up UK urban area. Wrexham (with all the love and good-will going their way) are massively struggling to build a single poxy stand of 5000. Local council putting loads of hurdles and barriers in the way. Even if/when it gets built there will be many many restrictions in terms of the ongoing use. The local communities and residents will always kick up a stink about any additional events and most local councils will agree with them.

Ultimately, any stadium (including tatty old Loftus Road) can technically hold other events but the simple fact is that most stadia barely hold 1 or 2 significant additional events outside their core use a year - I dont agree it's the "cash cow" developers would tout it to be. In any case, with a dozen football clubs in London plus all the additional venues available, the market is pretty saturated.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

I'd like to see evidence of this in terms of a big flash stadium in a built-up UK urban area. Wrexham (with all the love and good-will going their way) are massively struggling to build a single poxy stand of 5000. Local council putting loads of hurdles and barriers in the way. Even if/when it gets built there will be many many restrictions in terms of the ongoing use. The local communities and residents will always kick up a stink about any additional events and most local councils will agree with them.

Ultimately, any stadium (including tatty old Loftus Road) can technically hold other events but the simple fact is that most stadia barely hold 1 or 2 significant additional events outside their core use a year - I dont agree it's the "cash cow" developers would tout it to be. In any case, with a dozen football clubs in London plus all the additional venues available, the market is pretty saturated.
                  Events more likely to be small scale. Function room use etc. Company Presentations, Xmas Dinners etc. Events residents unlikely to notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Isleworth116 View Post

Events more likely to be small scale. Function room use etc. Company Presentations, Xmas Dinners etc. Events residents unlikely to notice.
                    Womens Institute, book recitals and jumble sales.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Womens Institute, book recitals and jumble sales.
                      Hope Hoos is reading this! We are missing out on literally tens of £s of revenue by letting LR sit there dormant most days.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

Hope Hoos is reading this! We are missing out on literally tens of £s of revenue by letting LR sit there dormant most days.
                        Community use = future planning consent!
                        Although, didnt work out with the KPF Stadium!
                        #### it........naming rights = £££££££

Comment

It's not a fair comparison because they had to move to the edge of the city to build it but Colchester United have had lots of success - I have no clue as to the financials - in using rooms at their stadium for company presentations, small business meetings, parties, discos, comedy nights and tribute (vomit!) acts. One of the local authorities I did consultancy work for had 2-3 rooms booked pretty much every non-matchday there. It struck me at the time as very innovative use of the space - but, it hasn't helped them on the pitch. They've also hosted the occasional concert at the venue, including Elton John - the car park had enough space for his helo and the limo for the 100 yards to the door.

Comment

As a hoops fan for over 55 years and as somebody who lived right next to that site in Hillingdon for 43 years (I moved to West Berks 2 years ago).
                            There was also a much bigger sight near there (ski slope) which was mentioned many years ago as a possible new home for the hoops. But clearly nothing came of it. Our ground at LR holds many memories and has an aura about it, but these sentiments won't survive economic pressures.
                            Various QPR boards over decades have all been lacking in foresight and understanding what standing still will do to you. Sometimes we could have relocated from a position of strength. But now???? There were many reasons to move (still are) - strong local fan base/ traffic considerations/ multi functional facility.
                            I despaired when I read this post about Wealdstone but all good luck and best wishes to them for their enterprise, which we have never had!

Comment

Should consider a ground share and make it a bit bigger!

Comment

Working...
                              X