Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then versus Now - A look back at our last relegation to the third tier

THEN:

We were relegated from the top flight in 1996. We then spent five years in second tier. In that 5th season, 2000 - 2001, we got relegated to third tier.

Our final record in 2001 was P46 W7 D19 L20 Pts 40. We went down with Huddersfield and Tranmere.

Our 1st XI was roughly: Miklosko, Breacker, Maddix, Ready, Barraclough, Murray, Rose, Peacock, Knight, Kiwomya and Connolly

We started that season with Gerry Francis as gaffer and Olly took over in February.

After 12 games we were P12 W2 D5 L5 Pts 11

NOW:

We are currently in our 9th season in second tier

We are P12 W2 D2 L8 Pts 8

So, draw your own conclusions. Obviously we are in the do-do right now but I think today's team is far stronger - the 00/01 team looks League One standard on paper whereas today's crop look much sounder on paper. Obviously that's irrelevant, it's how we measure up to the other teams in the division that matters.

We were carp back then but had some other half decent players like Crouch, Langley, Carlisle Wardley, Morrow, Rowland, Ngonge, Furlong on loan and others. Don't get me wrong, particularly second half of season we looked totally beat and doomed to go down. Players looked like they didn't want to be there so when I say half decent they just weren't up for it. So many players out of contract end of season so in pre-season next year we had about half a dozen players on books plus trialists, rumours club could go under and was a dire time.

Gerry had come back for a second spell but was clear he was a spent force as a manager.

Football was different. Just three subs then I think. The number of subs we have these days benefits the bigger clubs as it enhances the quality of their match day squad and cover over the course of the season.

Not sure if things worse now than then. We have FFP issues but have rich owners so in theory not at risk of ceasing to exist. Other than that all pretty depressing both then and now!

Comment

Interesting comparison.

Everything hinges on GA staying, bottom line is if he stays we are going down. I don't see a way out of this for him, as much as we all want it.

If he goes then obviously the replacement is key to staying up, if that's the best thing for us.

The following years after relegation we came 8th, 4th then 2nd.

We were then mid table year one back up, then narrowly avoided relegation for 2 years straight.

Comment

Much better now than back then, but standard of championship higher with so many more foreign players in England now. GA seems to lose the plot every so often (Watford and Blackburn) but felt for him last night. Relegation seasons start with ‘oh we’re unlucky’ , ‘ref was dire’ and this season following the track. But we have loads of games left. The question is if we’re doomed who is best manager for next year. But we’re not doomed yet by any stretch. I’d imagine we’ll lose to Leicester and the GA will go, but if we win he won’t .

Comment

Working...
        X