Les Ferdinand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well said.
    I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

He makes some great points and if you don't think he received racist abuse you don't understand the issues black people face on an ongoing basis. I doubt much if it was from true QPR fans but he would have absolutely had racist insults throw at him in DMs or casual racist remarks.

His point about how many #### white people get a second, third, fourth, and more chance is absolutely right. We often see managers and we are like "how the #### did he get another club to hire him". While to his point there are a ton of former black players who never received a first chance. Example of #### managers; Mark Hughes, Wayne Rooney to Birmingham.

I get his frustration, he was misquoted in the headline, and will probably never get another DOF chance while there are going to be others out there that tried and failed worse than him that will.

That's a fair point and what he was making in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by LordLoftus View Post
        He makes some great points and if you don't think he received racist abuse you don't understand the issues black people face on an ongoing basis. I doubt much if it was from true QPR fans but he would have absolutely had racist insults throw at him in DMs or casual racist remarks.

His point about how many #### white people get a second, third, fourth, and more chance is absolutely right. We often see managers and we are like "how the #### did he get another club to hire him". While to his point there are a ton of former black players who never received a first chance. Example of #### managers; Mark Hughes, Wayne Rooney to Birmingham.

I get his frustration, he was misquoted in the headline, and will probably never get another DOF chance while there are going to be others out there that tried and failed worse than him that will.

While I agree clubs re appoint has beens and washed up and recycle their careers if Les feels like that it's his opinion but imo what's he actually delivered at qpr.

As a club we've given it the kp in memory of a coloured youth player

Chris Ramsey and several black/ coloured youth coaches opportunities yep maybe his choice along with others but were hardly successful in development or recruitment. The clubs stagnant and sinking through ffp and he was part of the last 3yr cycle so some of the mess is on his watch

Whilst to certain extent as you say he may not the chance others get he had a decent shot with us and on merit if he'd been brilliant he'd of been long gone, fact is were a shambles with nice training facility

I dont give a toss whether we have a trained gorrilla as dof or the tea lady its a 3 points on a saturday that matter to fans and they've been few and far between for far too long

Comment

Originally posted by LordLoftus View Post

I dont doubt hes received racists comments and I agree with the lack of opportunities for former black players. Both claims can be substantiated by the facts.

But what I dont like is that he says "some" criticum of his performance as a DoF would be based on racism. So, in that situation he was not subject to direct racism but either deliberate indirect, or subconscious racism. These things are very hard to prove and can be seen as someone showong the race card to deflect job failures.

Im not interested in what he feels "may" be racist intent, but give me examples of why you think that.

Again, racism does exist and jobs after playing for black people is limited and that needs changing. It is a fact thar 18% of the UK population are from ethnic minorities, but representation in our, and most teams, exceed that percenrage. There is over represtation on the football field but under representation in managerial roles.

Overall, he failed in his job to get us regular premiership football, recruited some rubbish managers, signed off on stupid player contracts, player recruitment was average and little money created from players sales.

It wasnt that long ago he was being linked with DoF jobs are Newscastle and Spurs! His lack of success at Qpr was likely the reason he didnt get either.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

I dont doubt hes received racists comments and I agree with the lack of opportunities for former black players. Both claims can be substantiated by the facts.

But what I dont like is that he says "some" criticum of his performance as a DoF would be based on racism. So, in that situation he was not subject to direct racism but either deliberate indirect, or subconscious racism. These things are very hard to prove and can be seen as someone showong the race card to deflect job failures.

Im not interested in what he feels "may" be racist intent, but give me examples of why you think that.

Again, racism does exist and jobs after playing for black people is limited and that needs changing. It is a fact thar 18% of the UK population are from ethnic minorities, but representation in our, and most teams, exceed that percenrage. There is over represtation on the football field but under representation in managerial roles.

Overall, he failed in his job to get us regular premiership football, recruited some rubbish managers, signed off on stupid player contracts, player recruitment was average and little money created from players sales.

It wasnt that long ago he was being linked with DoF jobs are Newscastle and Spurs! His lack of success at Qpr was likely the reason he didnt get either.
            Spot on sheep

Me and my Mrs Foster 2 kids both short life span boys from Pakistan we kop forms of racism, I'm old school and treat people as I'd like to be treated myself ill play golf decent level if someone's a tw@t they don't get a beer from me regardless of colour and but if decent they do.

If Les feels let down it's not down to qpr it's as much about Les and others failing nothing else.

Comment

The demented ownership before Les came in had nearly ruined the club. From the get-go Les had to "manage down" everything and start again from virtually scratch. Look at all the clubs that went bust or into administration or had points deduction or transfer embargos in past 8 years - there's loads of them, far more than most realise. A lot of those clubs are the same sort of stature as us.

Did Les to a great job? No. Did he do an awful job? No. I think he did okay in the context and circumstances he operated in. I feel it was reasonable to let him go after 8 years but I dont think it's fair to put the boot in on his tenure as DOF.

Given there are hundreds of pro black footballers out there I think there is bound to be a question about why there aren't so many black managers, administrators and senior coaches in the pro game. Les's status means that he will constantly be asked for comment and insight on this point due to his lived experience - I don't think that means he has a chip on his shoulder or is carping on again or waving the race card about; it's just him talking expansively about what he has seen and dealt with after being directly asked the question.

Comment

Sheep, the evidence is the amount of #### he gets while being a black DOF yet white DOFs that do worse than him get a second, third, forth chance.

Thats what he's talking about. That's the evidence he's pointing at.

He did ok, he did great at first and was being linked to all sorts of chances. Up until the downward spiral last season, which happened under three managers, he had done fantastic work and we were top of the table under his recruitment of players and manager.

He doesn't get the credit for that he deserves and he feels he might not get another chance, or more specifically the same chances, now that other white DOFs would have if they'd had his record and been in charge through that. And that's not a reflection on the QPR fans as much as society as a whole. That's the point he's making and he's not wrong.

​​​

​​

Comment

A great example of black managers getting chances jimmy floyd haslebank, never done anything of note anywhere he's been ,now part of the England team set up. So not always about colour or talent a lot of the time it's about who you know that get you job's

Comment

No Les you did a terrible job employed awful managers off an algorithm instead of their football pedigree

Comment

Working...
                    X