Ainsworth has won me over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ainsworth has won me over

I know someone will tell me I rush to conclusions, and that I should wait for some more weeks, but I do not think I draw the wrong conclusions: I was wrong abut Ainsworth. He has won me over!

I was extremely disappointed when we signed Ainsworth. I felt is was the biggest possible mismatch between the type of players we have and the preferred style of the manager. For any small club to succeed longer term, player sales to the Premier League is vital. But a club can only develop players that are suitable for PL if the club plays a brand of football that resembles the PL to a certain degree. No premier league clubs are looking for hoof ball experts.

I felt the period under Ainsworth last season was torture. Most often, I didn't like the football, but more importantly, I felt we were going nowhere. Critchsley had to deal with an injury nightmare we have hardly ever seen before. Player after player returned under Ainsworth, but we never improved. I appreciate graft and hard work, but there must be something in addition. I like a direct style of play and counter attack when the opposition is disorganised. But aimless long balls forwards without a clear plan is dreadful. The season was saved by the away win at Burnley. In my book, this was pure luck. We could have been four down by half time.

This season started in possibly even more dire circumstances. When Watford were 4-0 up after 40 minutes I feared they could score ten.

When Ainsworth announced (before the Cardiff game) that we would change style and tactics, going for a more possession based style, I thought it was the first sign of a desperate manager on his way out. If you have preferred a certain style of play for ten years, and built your identity and competence around it, how should you manage a completely opposite style equally well to other managers than have fine tuned it for years? I thought it would end in tears.

I have now seen four league matches under the reborn Ainsworth. It has produced two wins, but more importantly, it has produced four impressive matches, with an efficient style of play. We are reasonable solid defensively, and we produce many chances. The play is entertaining and with seemingly a clear plan. We are still very direct, we are susceptible to the long balls towards a lonely Armstrong, but there is a style of play that suits our players. With a little bit of luck we could have won all four and been one point off the top of the table.

There are so many things to cheer about:

- Ainsworth seems to get the best our of some under performing players, such as Kakay and Dozzell. They have never been better (we knew from the past that Kakay is better in a back three than as a full back or wing back). Armstrong is like a new player, but his development might also be down to more experience - he is still young (now it is all about getting the best out of Willock and Dykes as well).

-Some of the players Ainsworth has brought in are looking like sterling signings - in particular Cook, Colback and not at least Smyth. Apart from the howler against Southampton, Begovic has also done well and Fox looks a useful signing. I suppose Lerkech is one for the future.

- We have a team with fight and spirit I cannot remembers since the Warnock days with Hill, Derry and Mackie.

- We have more tempo to our game. In Smyth and Armstrong we have a wealth of pace, that gives us many new options.

- We seem better organised defensively than under recent managers.

- We see young players getting a chance. It is too early to say if Kolli and the other young players that have been given a chance will establish themselves in the team, but there are certainly more encouraging signs than I can remember for many years.

I know it is early days, but I think this season will be fine. I don't think we will be in a relegation battle. I am prepared to hear that I am stupid that draw conclusion based on just four matches, but I don't bother. Ainsworth has won me over and I am so glad I was wrong.

My definition of hoof ball is long "high" balls from defence to the forwards, with the midfield looking up seeing the ball flying over their heads. Longer passes on the ground is not hoof ball as I know it, but maybe the current definition which differs from this tic-tac style.

Im glad GA is getting results, the style suits the masses and we're not searching for yet another manager.
    Last edited by SheepRanger; 04-09-2023, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Fair play to you Oslo, it's nice that GA is finally getting most of the fans on his side. Don't think we could get any other Manager in that would genuinely care about this club succeeding as much as him.

Sheep and I have always felt that Ainsworth never played hoof ball, yes agree it is direct though. But give me direct football over the tika-taka stuff, honestly at times that type of football has bored me to tears under the last 3-4 managers. The direct approach gets the fans off their seats most of the game. Smyth is perfect for this type of system and now it seems, as you point out, Ainsworth and his team are starting to improve players like Armstrong, Dozzell, Kakay. Maybe he will produce players which we can sell for decent fees after all. Also think Kolli really has something about him and in a couple of seasons may be the goal scorer we desperately lack, even at 18 he has a certain swagger and I think he will reach the top level.

Another point, I think we may well underestimate the impact that Richard Dobson is having. In an Assistant you always need someone who brings something different to what you bring, he could well be the brains behind our tactical play.

Comment

If you judge him by the players he brought in (if indeed it was him) I’m happy no very happy, Fox, Cook,Asmir,Smyth. Not bad at All

2 away wins, clean sheet Saturday, already played some of the fancied to go up away. Not bad at All

i also like watching us play

early days but positive

Comment

Originally posted by djp View Post
          Fair play to you Oslo, it's nice that GA is finally getting most of the fans on his side. Don't think we could get any other Manager in that would genuinely care about this club succeeding as much as him.

Sheep and I have always felt that Ainsworth never played hoof ball, yes agree it is direct though. But give me direct football over the tika-taka stuff, honestly at times that type of football has bored me to tears under the last 3-4 managers. The direct approach gets the fans off their seats most of the game. Smyth is perfect for this type of system and now it seems, as you point out, Ainsworth and his team are starting to improve players like Armstrong, Dozzell, Kakay. Maybe he will produce players which we can sell for decent fees after all. Also think Kolli really has something about him and in a couple of seasons may be the goal scorer we desperately lack, even at 18 he has a certain swagger and I think he will reach the top level.

Another point, I think we may well underestimate the impact that Richard Dobson is having. In an Assistant you always need someone who brings something different to what you bring, he could well be the brains behind our tactical play.
          Thank you so much djp.

I have watched and played football for years and this "hoof" stuff made me think I dont know what Ive been watching. Like you, this constant modern thinking that keeping possession without going anywhere is everything has driven me mad. Was it Shankley who said football is a simple game complicated by experts? Longer quick passes into space for runner to move into is just as important as neat triangles. There is so much football snobery out there.

Comment

Well done Oslo, you've summed up my sentiments entirely. I have been reluctant to post anything overly positive as it's still early days yet, and I recall how excited I was at this stage last season.
            But, the difference in attitude and style from the team that finished last season to the one that has played the last few weeks needs highlighting/recognition.

The team I watched for most of last year was arguably the worst that I have ever seen (easily the worst for attitude/lack of effort). This resulted in a mass clear out of players (most of which should never have been signed).
            Currently this team is showing all the qualities that last season lacked, ie a willingness to play for the team/manager/fans. Supporter's will always back players they recognise are trying to do their best.

We still have a few players who potentially should be moved on, and a few the jury's still out for (sorry Andre scoring a worldy and a couple of good games hasn't won me over yet, but it's a vast improvement).

We are still light in a couple of area's, and we will lose a number of games this season, but at this moment in time I cannot see us losing a game without putting up a fight.

The players we have brought in have undoubtedly helped to transform the side, some great signings, who have hit the ground running. It's too early to get carried away, but I think we will be okay this year, and I think Ainsworth and his team deserves credit for what they are doing/trying to do.

Comment

What about people giving a manager a chance before they judge him?
              QPR
              Best team in the world
              Sort of

Comment

He has done something special, as it's the first time in a long time we have seen the players trying. Win or lose, as a fan, that's all you ask of your team.

Comment

Just like Oslo and many other posters , i thought appointing Ainsworth was a massive mistake and i still thought that after the Watford game.
                  I still think it's way too early to tell wether he will keep us up , as the squad is very poor but there have been encouraging signs in the last few weeks.
                  To be honest signing, Begovic , Cook and Colback have helped massively and i have been very surprised how well Smyth is doing .
                  We are obviously still short in a few positions but that is the fault of our owners once again , in not backing the manager , hopefully we could still get a couple of out of contract players in.

Comment

Why give someone a chance? Much more fun to post a stick or twist poll after the first game of the season.

Think club knew what they were doing appointing him. Confidence shot to pieces, no steel in side and we would have no money to spend. Needed someone with a record of managing a team with very few resources and being able to fix dressing room and get players behind him. Hardly anyone lasts more than five minutes in the modern game and I think a lot of people underestimate how well GA did at Wycombe. He isn't conventional and I suspect that has not helped how he is perceived in some quarters but all the better for us. Very early days but indications since Watford savaging are he could be the right appointment in what will likely be a very tough time for the club this year.

Comment

Gareth has the team fighting that's what the fans want , the 5 a side we played in our half under previous managers did my head in .
                      I want to see the ball moved forward quickly , if it breaks down . Repeat.

Comment

I don't wish to go off at a tangent but there is something glaringly different this season that has possibly aided Gareth.....

We no longer have a DOF. Warburton, Beale, Critchley and Ainsworth v1.0 all had Sir Les lurking in the background. Nothing against Les, but I never truly got the point of the Lee/Les/Manager set-up - I certainly found it hard to see any tangible benefit.

I suspect Gareth is now unfettered and can apply his own undiluted principles. This is probably far clearer and simpler to grasp by the players - a very clear coaching structure with a very clear style of play.

Watching the game Saturday you got a real sense of team spirit and togetherness, stuff I've not seen since Derry and Hill's "Band of Brothers" approach.

Anyway, I feel the lack of DOF is a good thing, particularly with a manager like Gareth and our lack of resources. I dunno what the Board plan DOF-wise going forwards but frankly I'd just let Gareth get on with it with Hoos doing his bit in the background and not bother with a DOF.

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                          Gareth has the team fighting that's what the fans want , the 5 a side we played in our half under previous managers did my head in .
                          I want to see the ball moved forward quickly , if it breaks down . Repeat.
                          Bang on...

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
                            I know someone will tell me I rush to conclusions, and that I should wait for some more weeks, but I do not think I draw the wrong conclusions: I was wrong abut Ainsworth. He has won me over!

I was extremely disappointed when we signed Ainsworth. I felt is was the biggest possible mismatch between the type of players we have and the preferred style of the manager. For any small club to succeed longer term, player sales to the Premier League is vital. But a club can only develop players that are suitable for PL if the club plays a brand of football that resembles the PL to a certain degree. No premier league clubs are looking for hoof ball experts.

I felt the period under Ainsworth last season was torture. Most often, I didn't like the football, but more importantly, I felt we were going nowhere. Critchsley had to deal with an injury nightmare we have hardly ever seen before. Player after player returned under Ainsworth, but we never improved. I appreciate graft and hard work, but there must be something in addition. I like a direct style of play and counter attack when the opposition is disorganised. But aimless long balls forwards without a clear plan is dreadful. The season was saved by the away win at Burnley. In my book, this was pure luck. We could have been four down by half time.

This season started in possibly even more dire circumstances. When Watford were 4-0 up after 40 minutes I feared they could score ten.

When Ainsworth announced (before the Cardiff game) that we would change style and tactics, going for a more possession based style, I thought it was the first sign of a desperate manager on his way out. If you have preferred a certain style of play for ten years, and built your identity and competence around it, how should you manage a completely opposite style equally well to other managers than have fine tuned it for years? I thought it would end in tears.

I have now seen four league matches under the reborn Ainsworth. It has produced two wins, but more importantly, it has produced four impressive matches, with an efficient style of play. We are reasonable solid defensively, and we produce many chances. The play is entertaining and with seemingly a clear plan. We are still very direct, we are susceptible to the long balls towards a lonely Armstrong, but there is a style of play that suits our players. With a little bit of luck we could have won all four and been one point off the top of the table.

There are so many things to cheer about:

- Ainsworth seems to get the best our of some under performing players, such as Kakay and Dozzell. They have never been better (we knew from the past that Kakay is better in a back three than as a full back or wing back). Armstrong is like a new player, but his development might also be down to more experience - he is still young (now it is all about getting the best out of Willock and Dykes as well).

-Some of the players Ainsworth has brought in are looking like sterling signings - in particular Cook, Colback and not at least Smyth. Apart from the howler against Southampton, Begovic has also done well and Fox looks a useful signing. I suppose Lerkech is one for the future.

- We have a team with fight and spirit I cannot remembers since the Warnock days with Hill, Derry and Mackie.

- We have more tempo to our game. In Smyth and Armstrong we have a wealth of pace, that gives us many new options.

- We seem better organised defensively than under recent managers.

- We see young players getting a chance. It is too early to say if Kolli and the other young players that have been given a chance will establish themselves in the team, but there are certainly more encouraging signs than I can remember for many years.

I know it is early days, but I think this season will be fine. I don't think we will be in a relegation battle. I am prepared to hear that I am stupid that draw conclusion based on just four matches, but I don't bother. Ainsworth has won me over and I am so glad I was wrong.
                            I echo every word.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                              Why give someone a chance? Much more fun to post a stick or twist poll after the first game of the season.

Think club knew what they were doing appointing him. Confidence shot to pieces, no steel in side and we would have no money to spend. Needed someone with a record of managing a team with very few resources and being able to fix dressing room and get players behind him. Hardly anyone lasts more than five minutes in the modern game and I think a lot of people underestimate how well GA did at Wycombe. He isn't conventional and I suspect that has not helped how he is perceived in some quarters but all the better for us. Very early days but indications since Watford savaging are he could be the right appointment in what will likely be a very tough time for the club this year.
                              Fox, give it a rest about the poll all the time.

It was a poll that was actually very close before the Cardiff game, so it was value to see what people's opinions were. Isn't that what a forum is about?

Yes, one game into the season was very early, however, given the tactics and performance in that Watford game and based on all other games under GA, it was a very worrying time. In fact, it was so worrying GA even admitted he got it wrong big time and felt the need to change tactics and style. It was one of the worst performances in terms of players and manager we've seen in a long time.

The performances since have been what we all wanted to see from the day GA walked in. I thought he lost the players after the Watford game, given the effort and the tactics. It was amateur stuff. The Cardiff game answered a lot of questions and that's not just because we won. The first hour was fantastic. The attitude first and foremost.

I admire GA for holding his hands up. Most managers would have blamed the players. I'm delighted the style change has worked immediately. The majority now believe in GA. It's still going to be tough, but we definitely have enough. We need injuries and suspensions to be kind as we're a bit short, but that's a financial issue.

We've played Watford, Southampton and Boro away. 3 very difficult games. We've got 6 points and definitely should have a couple more. Given last season and our opening game, it's been a very good start to this season and I'm actually enjoying watching us again.

Comment

Working...
                              X