Stick or Twist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick or Twist?

GA had said on numerous occasions he won't call out his players publicly and I admire that, however, you can't come out with "they gave everything" after that performance at Watford. If his mantra is to keep it all behind closed doors then fine but he's got to give a bit of truth to the performance without calling individuals out.
    Having said that, is he not embarrassing Willock by bringing him on in the 97th minute? Something is going on behind the scenes regarding Willock. Either play him or leave him out completely and tell the fans why. Trust me, if Willock is playing up or whatever, the fans will be with GA.

GA is playing with fire by embarrassing Willock or any player like that, if that's his intention. Whether Chrissy is intending to move on or not he will still be good mates with his teammates and all his close friends in the squad will not like what GA did on Saturday. When you're losing 5-0 at Oxford, 4-0 down in half an hour at Watford and embarrassing fellow friends/teammates you're going to be really close to losing some of these players.

My personal opinion, I think he's already lost them. Since the day he's come in I don't think the group as a whole has bought into his methods. Performances and results have been very poor, although tbf we got much needed results last season, but whether that was due to the players personal pride in not wanting to get relegated or GA is another matter. We also got help massively with Reading and Wigan being deducted points.

The fact he started Gubbins, Smyth and Kelman when he could have played more experienced and in my opinion better players also speaks volumes. Eye opening that he chose Duke-McKenna at half time also.

Let's have it right. You don't get done 6 at Blackpool, 5 at Oxford or 4 in a little over half an hour at Watford if this lot are playing for him. I don't think there has been one performance that I thought wow, this is working. We got a couple of much needed results but performances haven't improved one bit. Burnley battered us and without a lot of luck we'd have been 3 or 4 down at half time if we're honest. Stoke had 81% possession and we only had 3 shots. It's absolutely awful and not sustainable to keep playing in this manner and get enough points to stay up. It's impossible.

Whether the group is rotten or not, we haven't got the time or money to change that now, so there needs to be a change with GA. I'm one for giving managers time but for the reasons I've outlined I just can't see a positive outcome.

So, do we stick or twist?
    Stick with Ainsworth
    45.83%
    Twist
    54.17%

No money to sack him and his team or bring in new staff.

Stability is needed and see where we are when the window closes.

If over spending in the last two seasons cause us to go down then look at the Board not GA.
    Last edited by SheepRanger; 08-08-2023, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I suspect I will be in a small minority but I voted stick. Did not agree with team selection on Saturday but at centre back he had very little choice and we ended up with a very rusty Fox and sorry to say a League 2 at best Gubbins. In central midfield Dozzell who is League 1 all day long based on what we have seen so far. Watford were always going to rip that to shreds and if your spine is farked so is everything else.

We have no money and if we don't manage to sell a player or two and generate £5m plus we will potentially end up in breach of FFP and that does now allow any pennies to bring anyone in. GA has inherited this position and will if anything be more unhappy than we are with it. My own view is we need to get players fit and if we can squeeze in another freebie or two then all the better. Only once they are bedded in will we know if GA, or perhaps anyone, can get a tune out of them.

We sacked Critchley after around a dozen games and if GA was sacked he will not have lasted much longer. We can't keep doing this. It costs too much money, makes us more of a laughing stock, destroys morale and makes us unattractive to potential managers.

I am extremely worried for this season but we are in the brown stuff regardless of who the manager is. People keep saying GA is no good. He performed well with WW over a number of years, far longer than most managers last anywhere. You don't do that if you are carp. Yes he didn't get his chance before now but so what? He has it now and is used to being at a club with no money and particularly given his history with the club will be 100% motivated. Some changes have been made with backroom staff, DoF has moved on as has one of the owners. There is no 5 minute fix.

I don't know if GA will work out or not but for me sacking him after one game of the season is not the right thing to do. If we are still being ripped apart once he has a stronger squad to choose from then the answer will likely be yet another change. Whether that will give us an improvement who knows.

Comment

To have any chance of staying up we have to get rid of Ainsworth.
        We should never have appointed him , at Wycombe he had an established side that he added one or two players a season and they all bought in to his style .
        Its completely different here , the players have'nt bought in to his style and you could tell from their faces when he brought the Maori in to do the Haka , that they were embarrassed for him and were probably thinking who is this ####.
        We need a manager that can play football and organise a team defensively , it is pointless getting in one of these cheeleader type managers like AINSWORTH , HOLLOWAY , WILDER and NATHAN JONES , i would personally go for a foreign manager that is good tactically.
        Forget all this we can't afford to sack Ainsworth and hire a new manager because if we keep him , we are definitely getting relegated , no matter who he signs and then we would lose more money.
        Even with our current squad a tactically astute manager could organise us to be hard to beat and keep us in this division until we are allowed to spend a bit more.
        Our main problem over the last ten years has been poor management and especially our scouting network , especially in the centre forward department. We have been crying out for a decent striker for years but we sign Sylla , Washington , Dykes , Bonne and Kelman all absolutely ####. Cardiff are under a transfer embargo and are'nt allowed to pay fees for players , yet they have signed 3 strikers in the last 6 months all better than our lot. That tall striker that was at Reading Lucas Jaou i think his name is out of contract , he would be better than Dykes , why did'nt we sin him instead of giving Dykes a new contract .

Comment

My feeling is that a factor in Warburton (and maybe Critchley too) being released was their reluctance to meaningfully pick/start kids or development players. I suspect Gareth has received a steer from above to use the second and third string and he's duly obliging. Maybe he's just giving likes of Gubbins a final chance to prove they have a future before potentially shipping them off for good before September 1st?

Don't players get appearance money? Maybe Willock trousered a bag of sand for wandering on for a minute or two and GA was doing him a favour that Willock and the squad would think was pretty decent?

Ultimately it's ALL speculation...... You can chose to speculate that it's all indicative of GA being bemused, clueless and out-of-his depth or you can speculate that he's got a firm vision and is having a final look-see at many players before settling on a first-team squad to tackle the remaining 42 games with.

Look, nobody could make a credible case to suggest all is well, everything's okay and we're set for a stonking campaign but I can't see the point in rounding on any of the staff after 1 competitive game or coming to any absolute or definitive conclusions.

Comment

One of the worst managers I’ve ever seen at QPR. Runs Paul Hart close.

His so called best quality - his self-styled positivity - is frankly an outrageous sleight of hand. Almost every sentence he speaks, he undermines the club with his inferiority ########. Hello Gareth, we are NOT little Wycombe, despite your best attempts at trying to convince us. Please go back there.

A cynic would argue he wants to pull the club down so far, even relegation he could try and paint as a success to keep his job. Who on EARTH starts the season by saying “I’ll keep us up”. Certainly not Neil Warnock who, are no better than us, and he’s saying he’ll get them as high up as possible. The right message.

He is a worse liar than Harry Redknapp and that’s saying something. Does he think the fans are stupid or something? His communications are continuously outrageous. I’m surprised he’s not been sacked yet because of his underhand negativity. And he lacks so many abilities and qualities as a manager, I don’t even know where to start!

Comment

Can those who voted twist please send the club £50k each to fund the managerial change. If you cant do that then please change your votes to stick.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
                Can those who voted twist please send the club £50k each to fund the managerial change. If you cant do that then please change your votes to stick.
                Behave Sheep!

You've just said we need stability then followed that up with see where we are in 3 weeks! So, you want us to back Ainsworth by spending what little money we have then sack him mid September if there's no improvement? I think that's the worst outcome!

Comment

Interesting views from both sides. I think one thing is obvious, we're in trouble on and off the pitch and it's going to take a big effort to keep Championship status.

Going down could put the club further into financial turmoil? Not sure on FFP requirements etc for Leagues 1 and 2.

Comment

So on Saturday GA told us that we may have just played the league champions! They are a great side. No disgrace. Blah blah blah. 3 days later, 10 of that starting team are put out of the cup on pens by the mighty stevenage!! 1-1 in normal time. Stevenage had more shots and more chances. Yet our lot managed just 1 shot on target in 90 mins! And this lot gave us everything!!! I think GA may be smoking something he's not supposed to be!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattyqpr View Post

Behave Sheep!

You've just said we need stability then followed that up with see where we are in 3 weeks! So, you want us to back Ainsworth by spending what little money we have then sack him mid September if there's no improvement? I think that's the worst outcome!
                      I have been consistent in my view that that GA cannot even be judged until at least one month after the transfer window is closed. Personally, I would give him until early Dec.

Its looking likely that we'll lose Field and Willock within the next three weeks. There'll be a mad scramble for replacements and a settling in period.

With the current flux I dont see any benefit of changing the manager, even if we lose the next three games. But if he goes then his replacement will be someone who is not currently working to save double compensation.

I doubt any manager would do any better.

Whatever money we have, I want it used on the player budget as this will have the bigger impact, not writing cheques to change the manager and coaches.

Its irrelevant anyway......its a DoF who would make these decisions, so we're sticking until one is out in place and hes had a chsnce to do a full review.

GA aint going anywhere for a minimum of three months, and certainly not after the first game of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

I have been consistent in my view that that GA cannot even be judged until at least one month after the transfer window is closed. Personally, I would give him until early Dec.

Its looking likely that we'll lose Field and Willock within the next three weeks. There'll be a mad scramble for replacements and a settling in period.

With the current flux I dont see any benefit of changing the manager, even if we lose the next three games. But if he goes then his replacement will be someone who is not currently working to save double compensation.

I doubt any manager would do any better.

Whatever money we have, I want it used on the player budget as this will have the bigger impact, not writing cheques to change the manager and coaches.

Its irrelevant anyway......its a DoF who would make these decisions, so we're sticking until one is out in place and hes had a chsnce to do a full review.

GA aint going anywhere for a minimum of three months, and certainly not after the first game of the season.
                        Not an issue with any of your opinions above, they all make sense if you still have belief in GA.

My belief has gone and yes we've only played one game this season and he's been dealt a rough hand but I've seen zero improvement in performances since the day he walked in. A full pre season and I've seen nothing improve.

People will say it was against Watford and they will be at the top end. What I will say is, Watford made one change for their team at Stevenage last night, the keeper. All 10 outfield players that battered us started. It finished 1-1 with Stevenage winning on pens. Oxford battered us, they lost at Cambridge at the weekend.

I agree that money would be better spent on players rather than sacking GA. Maybe we could scramble to safety this season and reassess next summer. I don't think we can though. I think our only hope is a fire sale and reinvest it all into the squad, but I'm not sure how much we can actually spend due to FFP.

The board have created a huge mess, we're in turmoil on and off the pitch and how it all ends I don't know but it's going to be a very ugly season.

Comment

In a world where have a more stable back of house, some money and a sqaud put together with a long term plan, with some depth, sorry Gareth has to go.

We don't live in that world, none of the above is true.

Therefore I see no reason for Gareth to move on, he has as much chance as any realistic appointment of scraping out results until the club sorts itself out, if it ever does.

Comment

Working...
                          X