Dom,Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dom,Ball

On a previous thread of mine on another matter, someone raised the subject of missing Dominic Ball’s tenacity in midfield ( I raised the same with Yoann and his composure and comfort on the ball notwithstanding his propensity to drop clangers in dangerous areas.

About two years ago I got talking to a fellow in Westfield bar who introduced himself as Dom’s uncle. He said DB who was approaching 28 and soon to be out of contract was concerned he would not get a new offer. I had had the same feeling as the club were not falling over themselves to get in early. I told his uncle that I always worried about DB getting an early yellow and then treading eggshells whilst the opposition wound him up. I remember one on 6 mins and an early unnecessary one away at Fulham. Interestingly, his uncle said that in fact such an early would serve to focus his mind to watch it thereafter and to be fair I can’t remember a red though I cam remember often being nervous. Apparently, letting his opponent know ‘ he is around’ early is an important part psychologically of is M.O, though I can’ t believe opponents are not fully aware of how he operates.

I wonder if people feel the potential card jeopardy of his(and his ilk) style is worth the risk of more physicality in midfield?

We really lack grit and steel in the team , we have far to many show pony's ... Willock , chair , Richards , uncle

Comment

Dom Ball may not have been the greatest player, but he always done a job for us, still bermuses me why we got rid of him.

Comment

I thought George Thomas had a decent engine and work rate and could have played a defensive midfield role.

Granted he wasnt the attacking midfielder he was supposed to be, but his other attributes could have been very useful now.

Comment

George Thomas was poor , he had enough chances . Ran around a lot with no end product til he got tired .
          Then he stood around and did nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
            George Thomas was poor , he had enough chances . Ran around a lot with no end product til he got tired .
            Then he stood around and did nothing.
            Agree, last few games, Thomas has been on subs bench for Cambridge United. One "reasonable performance" for us in 3 years.

Dom Ball, wouldn't get in team ahead of Sam Field. Understand why we released him. Credit to him, found another club, unlucky with injury this season.

Comment

I was talking about using Thomas in a new defensive midfield role, not his attacking midfield role that your basing your comments on.

I thought he was sufficiently mobile to disrupt play and protect the centre backs. Nothing to do with creativity and attacking that we signed him for.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
                I was talking about using Thomas in a new defensive midfield role, not his attacking midfield role that your basing your comments on.

I thought he was sufficiently mobile to disrupt play and protect the centre backs. Nothing to do with creativity and attacking that we signed him for.
                The only role Thomas was fit for was cleaning the changing room after the game.
                Another terrible signing by Les , he was out injured for 9 months the season before we signed him . Was also injured most of his time here and got injured in his second game when he went to Cambridge. How the hell could he be a tough tackling midfield lynchpin ?

Comment

Originally posted by Harrow QPR View Post

The only role Thomas was fit for was cleaning the changing room after the game.
                  Another terrible signing by Les , he was out injured for 9 months the season before we signed him . Was also injured most of his time here and got injured in his second game when he went to Cambridge. How the hell could he be a tough tackling midfield lynchpin ?
                  Fair point.

Comment

Originally posted by Isleworth116 View Post

Agree, last few games, Thomas has been on subs bench for Cambridge United. One "reasonable performance" for us in 3 years.

Dom Ball, wouldn't get in team ahead of Sam Field. Understand why we released him. Credit to him, found another club, unlucky with injury this season.
                    Agree that Field is a better option than Dom Ball but i would still feel that he would have done a good job for us this season

Comment

i I think Field is more of a number 6 - left footed alongside no. 5- but he is saleable and will be gone

Comment

Originally posted by KLOS View Post
                        i I think Field is more of a number 6 - left footed alongside no. 5- but he is saleable and will be gone
                        Southampton offered £3m in Jan which we rejected. They be back to build their Championship team. I can see them coming in for Willock too. They'll need bodies as they sell off their premiership high earners.

Comment

Working...
                        X