A selling club ... are we?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A selling club ... are we?

Many described the R's as a selling club. Always were and will always be. However we are not good at selling. We lost Manning for nothing, same with Robinson, as for BOS the club got a small fee compared to what expected. Looking around, there are plenty of players that was ditched by the R's and now their valuation is up. The likes of Mepham, Zemura and Lowe as well! You feel you want to cry seeing players refused by the club to then offer 4 year contracts to several players that are of no use. My conclusion is that the club is a shambles re-contracts and selling players. Now we have Willock and Dieng who are entering the last year of their contracts! Here we go again. Do we ever learn? Maybe that is the reason following Willock loss of form?

To be s selling club you have to match these players with a buying club. If Willock and Dieng stay this window its because nobody wants them for the valuation we have put on them. If fees of £10-15m each were placed they would be sold in a heart beat.

Comment

My point is that if they are not sold now, in summer they will be on their last year of the contract. Then what? Maybe another situation similar to BOS or Manning? Something is not being done correctly. We are not doing our business in a shrewd way.

Comment

We have ambitions of being a selling club but that has gone awry since Eze. A couple of years ago we had a number of players potentially looking at upward moves. Dickie has gone from being first choice centre back, our rock, linked with moves to Mid-table Prem clubs to fourth choice. His decline is quite shocking. Maybe NC can reignite him a bit, who knows. Willock fantastic player but does have his share of injuries. If he has a decent rest of season can see him going in summer although maybe not for the money we would ideally like. Dykes was linked with £10m+ moves but has stalled and we are looking more like getting our money back if we were to sell. Would rather get him to sign a new contract and keep him personally. Chair can look very good at times but his game lacks the overall consistency to seriously temp a Premiership side. If can improve certain parts of his game then could maybe make step up. Bright we had to let go on the cheap as contract running down. Dieng again being linked with moves although more as a number 2 goalie.

We have brought players in with probably an eye on improving and increasing in value. Dunne has been a decent acquisition. Clarke Salter if he can stay fit maybe another one, Field if he can stay fit, Amos so unlucky with injuries, Armstrong raw but potential, Dozzell not worked out yet, both Roberts and Richards been brought in with a clause allowing us to buy them if we want to and can afford it.

It wasn't that many years ago we had literally no player worth more than about a bag of crisps (and a number of very highly paid ones we couldn't wait to get off the pay roll!) and very few if any of much chance of improving to any degree. So overall a frustrating last year in terms of player development but we are in a significantly better position than we were say five years ago so hopefully can get things going again. With the current frustrations can be easy to forget the progress that has been made within extremely tight financial constraints.

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
          My point is that if they are not sold now, in summer they will be on their last year of the contract. Then what? Maybe another situation similar to BOS or Manning? Something is not being done correctly. We are not doing our business in a shrewd way.
          My point is we cant sell them if nobody wants to buy them for a price we think is suitable. If they're not sold in the summer then they will be part of our 23/24 promotion push and will either sign new contracts with us or leave on a free. Likewise, if the players are determined to run down their contracts and not engage with other clubs until they're free agents then there's nothing we can do about that.

Comment

Thats the model of the club, buy young, develop and sell for profit

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

My point is we cant sell them if nobody wants to buy them for a price we think is suitable.
              It's a very fundamental, valid point, and well made.

Comment

All clubs are selling clubs except the big boys.

Personally, it we can £5m for Dykes, I’d let him go

Comment

Any club looking at CW will take into consideration Injuries and attitude , either he's injury prone or his head has been turned and he's chosen to go thru the motions .
                  Any scout looking at him now won't be talking him up , he needs to get his head down and work hard .

Comment

Originally posted by Hope & Faith View Post
                    All clubs are selling clubs except the big boys.

Personally, it we can £5m for Dykes, I’d let him go
                    Yes, snd bringing in Barnes makes perfect sense then. Hopefully we could spend the £5m on another CF.

Comment

I only just stumbled on this article from a couple of weeks ago but it does look like the club are trying to be innovative in their approach to deal making....

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news...-pitch-090123/

Maybe it'll bare fruit in coming seasons?

Comment

Working...
                      X