40 years ago today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 years ago today

It's 1130, 40 years ago I was well on the way to Wembley as we were outside by 12 noon.
    Great memories and can't believe it's 40 years.
    I was 19.

40 years !! I remember it well , was 15 at the time , went to every round except Middlesbrough away which my mum and dad said no you can’t go lol

Comment

That's closer to World War II than it is to today y'know. Just saying like......

Comment

Originally posted by stainrod67 View Post
        40 years !! I remember it well , was 15 at the time , went to every round except Middlesbrough away which my mum and dad said no you can’t go lol
        I was 19 at the time and went to m/boro away in the replay .
        There was 11 of us c/mob on the inter city train and a couple of other Rangers , we were drinking Drambue snake bites all the way there , just as well really as Boro had a welcome party outside the train station and one of the other 2 Rangers got a bottle to the head , so him and his mate went up the hospital .
        Leaving the 11 of us to run the gauntlet all the way to the ground , with Boro continually attacking us .
        In the ground i think there was only one supporters coach and a few that came by car , we went mental when Warren Neil ( i think ) scored in extra time.
        As there were only 11 of us the old bill took us back to the station by mini bus , thank god , there were hundreds of Boro waiting for us and the Drambue snake bites had worn off, we would of been slaughtered. When all the Boro saw us giving them farewell signs from the mini bus , they all started running after the bus towards the station , thank god a train came as soon as we got there and off we went to Darlington for some refreshments. It was a brilliant night and the whole cup run was great.
        Shame the fa cup isn't the same anymore , i always preferred the cups and playing new teams in them days.

Comment

I was 14, time just flys !!
          i remember recording the whole day on 1 hour Betamax tapes .
          F*CK OFF CHELSEA WEST LONDON IS OURS!

Comment

Originally posted by Harrow QPR View Post

There was 11 of us c/mob on the inter city train and a couple of other Rangers , we were drinking Drambue snake bites all the way there , just as well really as Boro had a welcome party outside the train station and one of the other 2 Rangers got a bottle to the head , so him and his mate went up the hospital .
            Leaving the 11 of us to run the gauntlet all the way to the ground , with Boro continually attacking us .
            In the ground i think there was only one supporters coach and a few that came by car , we went mental when Warren Neil ( i think ) scored in extra time.
            As there were only 11 of us the old bill took us back to the station by mini bus , thank god , there were hundreds of Boro waiting for us and the Drambue snake bites had worn off, we would of been slaughtered. When all the Boro saw us giving them farewell signs from the mini bus , they all started running after the bus towards the station , thank god a train came as soon as we got there and off we went to Darlington for some refreshments. It was a brilliant night and the whole cup run was great.
            Shame the fa cup isn't the same anymore , i always preferred the cups and playing new teams in them days.
            Do u remember the Asian fella that drove the CM transits called mam ?

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post

Yes i remember him , from Wembley i think , more so in the earlier days , don't remember seeeing him much later 80s

Comment

Blimey, always thought his name was Mann. Didnt really know him to talk to, just aware of him as being associated with that older bunch of hoollies we had in late 70s.

Comment

Not seen him myself since early 80s lovely bloke . Got us home a good few times when others were to drunk to drive. .One of my kids sent me a old photo a couple of weeks ago and mam was in it

Comment

Not seen him myself since early 80s lovely bloke . Got us home a good few times when others were to drunk to drive. .One of my kids sent me a old photo a couple of weeks ago and mam was in it
                    I've got a photo with him in it , in Blackpool after Preston away early 80's , i've got a few photos of us mainly in Blackpool after various away games up north, i can't believe how young we all look.
                    I saw some photos of 2 coaches of the lads in Stoke the other week , can't believe how old they all look haha.
                    I can't really remember who drove the mini buses , Luton vans etc , i was always too pissed, i'm sure Micky W drove the Luton vans a couple of times with over 20 of us crammed in the back.
                    It must have looked a site when the shutters came up and 20 odd herberts jumped out the back .

Comment

I've got a photo with him in it , in Blackpool after Preston away early 80's , i've got a few photos of us mainly in Blackpool after various away games up north, i can't believe how young we all look.
                      I saw some photos of 2 coaches of the lads in Stoke the other week , can't believe how old they all look haha.
                      I can't really remember who drove the mini buses , Luton vans etc , i was always too pissed, i'm sure Micky W drove the Luton vans a couple of times with over 20 of us crammed in the back.
                      It must have looked a site when the shutters came up and 20 odd herberts jumped out the back .
                      I remember Micky's uncle worked on a door in a club think it was Nottingham , we all went back there after sheff weds away it was my 21st in 1981 I took load of snaps and at the 82 cup final . Still in contact with RC and daily with zippy

Comment

That was me who got the bottle in the head. Six stitches .Plain clothed Copper took me into Boro end to identify who he thought had done it. Looked a right mess going straight into work the next morning.

Comment

Is it any wonder why Stainrod’s parents said he couldn’t go? Mine said the same about the final (although I was a few years younger and still a schoolboy ).

yes, it was a winner from Warren Neill.

Comment

I remember Micky's uncle worked on a door in a club think it was Nottingham , we all went back there after sheff weds away it was my 21st in 1981 I took load of snaps and at the 82 cup final . Still in contact with RC and daily with zippy
                            I vaguely remember going to some club in Nottingham area after a game at Sheff weds . Think we were in a mini bus that day and parked up a hill and as we walked passed some pub , Wednesday came out and attacked us but were chased back inside.
                            I must know you by sight , if not names , i very rarely missed any away games in those days.
                            I can remember ZIPPY , more so from the earlier days , one thing that stands out with Zippy was him on a pool table in a club , swinging the cue around in Skegness after Grimsby away last game of the 82/83 season , when the locals all had a pop at us.
                            We used to stop at a few northern towns on the way home for a drink, remember stopping at Burslem on at least 2 occasions , some of our lot even pulled a couple of birds there and used to go up there to see them.

Comment

Originally posted by gr1 View Post
                              That was me who got the bottle in the head. Six stitches .Plain clothed Copper took me into Boro end to identify who he thought had done it. Looked a right mess going straight into work the next morning.
                              You was a bit unlucky that night , there were quite a few bottles raining down on us, could of been any one of us. They emptied a skip on us nearer to the ground and just kept coming at us but we kept repelling them.
                              Hope it did'nt do any lasting damage .

Comment

Working...
                              X