Centre back solution!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centre back solution!

Before I get shouted down, it's just an idea that's all! Firstly well done to all the fans who turned out today. If the team was as good as the support.....well you know the rest!!

Given our complete lack of pace with all our centre defenders at the club, would it not be better to give kakay a run at centre half?

Yes he has mistakes in him but these are usually him getting dispossessed out wide by trying to over play etc. He's a big lad, he's naturally very fit, he's quicker than the others, he gets stuck in and he's gives it 100%. For me we have 4 centre backs who think they can all play, are casual in possession, are slow when they make mistakes and seem to struggle to concentrate for 90 mins. If you literally tell Ossie to head, kick, block and smash the ball away from our box the he can do those. We don't need players who can hit nice 20 yard balls across the box or dribble the ball all the way up the pitch.

Just get rid of it or tell the defensive central mid to come and take it off you!!

We could have the answer to our problems as I'm sick of watching dickie, dunne and dewijs lose the ball and then get smoked ìn a foot race because they think they are obliged to have all the time and space in the world when they don't!!!

Not the worst idea. Couldn't be worse than Dunne.

Comment

If he can sort out his somewhat dodgy positional play in a new role, I`m all for it. Some may call experiments like these putting square pegs in round holes though.
      QPR
      Best team in the world
      Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Dono77 View Post
        to head, kick, block and smash the ball away from our box the he can do those.
        Why does that remind me of Clint Hill?

Come to that, why did the post about a defensive coach also remind me of Clint Hill?

Comment

Kakay is an awful defender - I can't see how playing him in the middle makes any sense? I don't think there's anything much wrong with our CBs, they're just left dreadfully exposed by our shape/formation.

I reckon that 99% of attackers are pacier and nippier than 99% of centre backs, the trick is to never to allow the CBs to get isolated 1-on-1 or turned around or stretched across the defensive line. I think we're failing as a team in all three respects.

Comment

We have the worst defence in the league but you don't think there's anything wrong with our centre backs?!!!! Can't agree with you there at all. If you think 99% of forwards are quicker than 99% of defenders then your argument falls flat as we have austin who is slower than any of our centre backs. Dykes is hardly using bolt either although he's not slow by any means.

Maybe we should sign some centre backs with a bit of pace instead of looking for ones who think are good passers of a ball and can throw in a cruyff turn now and again. If we are going to persist with 3 cbs then we need some with pace and don't overplay the ball.

Comment

Kakay shouldn't be anywhere near the first team , yesterday's winner was awful . Defender should have been tight and one play off them 5 yards behind . So late In the game just body check dembele .... Watch video of him and he loves running onto thru balls and scoring . This team don't seem to learn from their mistakes

Comment

So we just stick with the current 3 lads at the back and allow them to start every week even though they are costing the team points? We seem to have big lads who are afraid to impose themselves on their opponents. Our back 3 are units yet I've not seen any real aggression from them.

We aren't learning as we go so give someone else a run. What's the worst that can happen? The fact that the club haven't had a decent right back in years has come back to haunt us every season. Wallace and McCallum can play left back/left wing back. Neither kakay or moses are good right backs so until we sign a proper/proven right back then we are going to persist with a back 3.

Comment

I think it is mostly about pace. We simply need a new center back who is pacy.

The best defenders have three features: arial abilities, technical skills and speed. With our budget we cannot expect to get defenders that have all three abilities. We have focused on the first two and have ended up with four central defenders with no pace at all. You can develop the first two but is is hard to develop speed once you are 18 or more - you either have it or not. We cannot turn any of our CD into pacy players and we are therefore desperatly in need of a new CD if we aim for a play off spot. However, I am afraid we have to sell before we can afford a player that ticks all three boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dono77 View Post
                    We have the worst defence in the league but you don't think there's anything wrong with our centre backs?!!!! Can't agree with you there at all. If you think 99% of forwards are quicker than 99% of defenders then your argument falls flat as we have austin who is slower than any of our centre backs. Dykes is hardly using bolt either although he's not slow by any means.

Maybe we should sign some centre backs with a bit of pace instead of looking for ones who think are good passers of a ball and can throw in a cruyff turn now and again. If we are going to persist with 3 cbs then we need some with pace and don't overplay the ball.
                    I said 99% because I knew someone would pop up and mention Austin

Comment

I agree with the need to find a speedier CB to complement our back 3. You can't teach speed; you have it or you don't. And by now every opposing team knows they can use a fast attacker to open us up. The fact we seem to give up at least one or two breakaways every game speaks for itself.

With that said, let's look at another contributing factor to our defensive challenge: midfield. When's the last time we had midfielders impose their will on the field? Love Ball but he's limited in talent. Johansen is a superb field general on offense but AWOL on defense. Chair and Willock are amazing, but defense is not in their reportoire. In fact, Dykes and Admoah often do more defending than our natural defenders.

Comment

Sorry but who are these fantastic speedy cultured CBs that all our rivals in the Championship have???? Are you telling me Tim Ream is any better than Barbet or Dickie..... I can't see it myself. I could beat Steve Cook, Chris Mepham and Gary Cahill in a foot race (and I'm an old man) but they're solid enough at the back for the league leaders aren't they?

Our CBs are more than good enough for this league but they will continue to look like donkeys playing in Warburton's "system". It's Warburton - NOT the CBs!

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                          Not the worst idea. Couldn't be worse than Dunne.
                          I have always said I think he is a better CB than full back and he can't be any slower than the other CBs we have.

We either try him out in a back or as Abs, says coach our current CBs to defend as a unit, so as not to constantly get caught out. I am not sure which one of those is more likely to work given it is Kakay or Warburton's ability to defend/coach defending.

We could do with finding another Paul Parker from somewhere.

Comment

Agree our central defenders should be good enough for this league. Bigger issue for me is full backs, allow too much space and overall spine of team does not look tight or mean enough. We will score goals this season but will also concede an awful lot unless the system is tweaked and some changes to the line up.

If Kakay was seriously considered for that role needs a run outside the first team to see how he fares.

Comment

Working...
                            X