Barbet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbet

Out of contract at the end of the season , what do we think is going on there ? Our most consistent defender over the last year and he is running down his contract and can walk for free at the end of the season.I’ve heard no talk of a new deal or any rumours surrounding him and it seems to be going unnoticed.Maybe he has made his mind up he is moving on already .

Would like to keep him . Has his faults but over all been decent and solid

Comment

Probably considered a 'Steady Eddie' to have rumours going around about other clubs wanting him. I'm sure we'd offer him a new deal in the summer and he'll accept it. I cant see any contract extensions being offered before then in case we go up through the play offs.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
        Probably considered a 'Steady Eddie' to have rumours going around about other clubs wanting him. I'm sure we'd offer him a new deal in the summer and he'll accept it. I cant see any contract extensions being offered before then in case we go up through the play offs.
        That’s a bit of a dangerous game to play don’t you think ? He can sign a pre contract agreement in January for another club . I think treating him like that is under valuing how consistent he has been .

Comment

I quite like him. I thought his positioning and concentration levels were very poor but he's definitely worked on this. He's tbf looked like our best defender. Probably worth a 2 year contract as even if we did go up he'd be a decent squad player
          I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

That’s a bit of a dangerous game to play don’t you think ? He can sign a pre contract agreement in January for another club . I think treating him like that is under valuing how consistent he has been .
            If we're chasing the play offs come Jan then I wouldnt want to see any player out of contract in the summer not giving their all to avoid injury. In Jan perhaps give him a two year extension then. Hes ever present and as WeAre says, he'd still be a good squad player if we went up. In fact, I hope we play the same team with a few additions if we went up.

Any prem money should go into the infrastructure not filling the pockets of agents and more players only with us for the dosh. Extend him, if we go up we'll only be there for one season. Norwich won the league easily, made a few signings and are still cannon fodder.

Comment

Up to 12 months ago I would have said to get rid of him. Thought he was a liability and our worst defender. He still has his moments but he has rapidly turned into one of my favourite players!! The move to a back 3 has done wonders for his game and he looks high on confidence. He's been captain a few times and has the respect of everyone in that dressing room so I would like to see him stay. He's vital to how we set up and he is worth a few assists now too so def look to keep him.

Comment

It’s a strange one , I can remember plenty being up in arms when Manning and Bos were running their contracts down yet nothing is being said in this case. It makes you think is Barbet a bit under appreciated within our fan base , a good reliable left footed centre back wouldn’t be cheap to replace.

Comment

But is he running down his contract? For all we know they are having genuine negotiations, or maybe we haven't even offered him one yet. Barbet is one of my favourite players in the team - in the Rangers tradition of having a cultured defender like Glenn Roeder. Noticeable the club website often use him for interviews because he is a bit brighter than the average. The way he puts in last ditch tackles and headers etc suggests to me he is very committed to the cause (unlike BOS who went missing).

Comment

If I were a striker I know which player I would prefer to play against out of Barbet or Dunne

Being honest Barbet has never been a good defender,last ditch sliding tackle should be his middle name.

Jimmy Dunne came on a free transfer and is the better defender IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                      But is he running down his contract? For all we know they are having genuine negotiations, or maybe we haven't even offered him one yet. Barbet is one of my favourite players in the team - in the Rangers tradition of having a cultured defender like Glenn Roeder. Noticeable the club website often use him for interviews because he is a bit brighter than the average. The way he puts in last ditch tackles and headers etc suggests to me he is very committed to the cause (unlike BOS who went missing).
                      This is what I’m asking , heard nothing about any new contract and it seems very late in the day to be dealing with it . As I said he can sign a pre contract agreement with another club in 3 months time and we can do nothing about it .All seems a bit odd to me .

Comment

Originally posted by MINCER View Post
                        If I were a striker I know which player I would prefer to play against out of Barbet or Dunne

Being honest Barbet has never been a good defender,last ditch sliding tackle should be his middle name.

Jimmy Dunne came on a free transfer and is the better defender IMO.
                        Been our most consistent player in the last 12 months , did you see Dunnes mistake yesterday, he will keep improving no doubt but that’s harsh on Barbet who has been very good for quite a while now . Dunne , Dickie , Moses , Jordy and Dieng have all made errors that have cost us goals in last 3 weeks .

Comment

Something has got to change in that 3 C/Back role Stainrod for this team to progress.

It could be argued that Dunne was at fault for losing his man but where were Dickie and Barbet for the first goal ?

i can’t get my head around having 3 C/Bs and all 3 being caught on their heels so often.

I would guess that the majority of goals conceded this season have come down our right side but don’t see too many calling out other players other than Kakay and Moses.

Barbet has probably been One of the First on the team sheet for MW before Dickie and Dunne but is he a better defender in your opinion ?

Comment

Originally posted by MINCER View Post
                            Something has got to change in that 3 C/Back role Stainrod for this team to progress.

It could be argued that Dunne was at fault for losing his man but where were Dickie and Barbet for the first goal ?

i can’t get my head around having 3 C/Bs and all 3 being caught on their heels so often.

I would guess that the majority of goals conceded this season have come down our right side but don’t see too many calling out other players other than Kakay and Moses.

Barbet has probably been One of the First on the team sheet for MW before Dickie and Dunne but is he a better defender in your opinion ?
                            It’s a tough one , Dunne just had to be goal side yesterday, he switched off , don’t see what Dickie or Barbet could have done but Dieng should have done better.A lot of goals conceded this season have been glaring individual errors, it’s hard to pin that on a manager . I tend to see the midfield as a bit of a problem, apart from Dom Ball our 3 cbs get no protection, Johansen is to lightweight to play that roll , the return of Field and even Amos will help in that respect.As for which defender is better than who , I don’t know but so far this season Barbet has made less mistakes than the others .

Comment

My view is that Barbet has decided that his future is elsewhere, maybe in France with his young family. He let his contract run down at Brentford, wouldn’t surprise me if he does the same with us.

I’m sure the club have offered him a new contract

Comment

Working...
                              X