Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which football clubs are classed as Sleeping Giants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See I've never viewed forest as giants.
    A good team yes an exceptional team late 70s was it?
    But then they were run of the mill on a par with QPR when we got up in..... 84?
    Ipswich the same had a very good side for a few years.
    Coventry? If they are, we are.

Stoke?

Comment

I do wonder if there is a such a thing or just media spin and bluster

Comment

Not really sure what qualifies as a sleeping giant.
        Size of fan base? History? Trophies won?

Sunderland have fan base but haven’t won much, although a lot of seasons in the top flight.

Portsmouth have won the league twice but not much of a fan base.

Not sure what Forest have won apart from the Clough era, but that could be enough.

likewise for Derby.

Huddersfield were good in the 1920s but not much since. Although top flight until the early 70s.

Bolton and Blackpool had a history in the 50s and 60s, the former in the top flight even latter years.

The Sheffield clubs have top flight history and fan base but not sure about trophies - I can’t be bothered to check.

Coventry had a long unbroken run of around 30 seasons in the top flight with not many top half finishes and 1 FA Cup win.

Comment

Charlton Athletic?

They have not won much, but the used to play in front of 70,000 plus in the the thirties.
          I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

Not for me, but they are historically a giant from bygone times.
            As were Preston, but I've only known them as a, 4th/ 3rd div team till the last 20 odd years
            Please , let us remember the bygone days , the "times they are a changing" too fast these days.
            QPR
            Best team in the world
            Sort of

Comment

The team with one of the longest stays in the top flight before they were eventually relegated was Coventry. For me though, with the size of the fanbase and ground it has to be Sunderland. Almost every club has their 'five minutes of fame' with a golden side. In my time even Oldham and Bradford.
              p.s. Actually thinking about it Sunderland are more comatose than sleeping.

Comment

There are no sleeping giants. It's a redundant term in 2021 football. A club is either in the Premier League or it's not - any other demarcation is irrelevant.
                Brentford will have an income at least 20x bigger than a "giant" such as Sunderland this season for instance, even if Mackems get 40K crowds all season.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                  There are no sleeping giants. It's a redundant term in 2021 football. A club is either in the Premier League or it's not - any other demarcation is irrelevant.
                  Brentford will have an income at least 20x bigger than a "giant" such as Sunderland this season for instance, even if Mackems get 40K crowds all season.
                  Good post that man.
                  Sorta getting to that pov too

Comment

Working...
                  X