No announcement yet.

Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well my thesis is: Gordon Macey the club archivist a wrong and made an error in recording it or his source was erroneous. Or the Southend records are incomplete. Gordon Macey only records first team players. I suspect that Southend United is the same. Given Southend United were in the two previous seasons in the running for promotion he could not break into the first team given his age. As the other documents I sent you shows the R’s were in financial do do - when were we ever not - and went for young talent that were cheap to pick up. I don’t think Charlie had broken into first team and is not recorded but was in their books and Gordon Macey t

Comment

Yeah you may very well be right, I suppose I’ll never know 100%. As I stated earlier, I never heard Southend mentioned by my grandfather, it’s was always QPR. My grandparents owned a pub on Swansea’s high street for many years, it was where my father was born and raised. Charlie would be there often, but my father doesn’t recollect him ever mentioning Southend so it is still casting some doubt in my mind because I’d love to know every team he’d have played for, but, I’ve already found more than I ever thought i would, plus, it’s not so bad when you find out your great grandfather was QPR’s number 10!

Comment

Ben did you not have the footballing gene?
        I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

I had a short period with the Swansea school boys as a youngster, never got far. I’ve played for various Swansea and Neath league sides in goal but I’ve never really had the physical attributes to be a professional goalkeeper, although my goalkeeping abilities were better than the average senior league keeper, without blowing smoke up my own #### of course lol. My father Jeff was an extremely good goalkeeper who was on the books at the Swans at around 17-18 years of age before he, I believe got a nasty gash on his arm from a drunken night at the pub he lived in at the time, and ended up getting released. He was good mates with Dean Saunders who lived in the area as well and would often train together. I always enjoyed following the swans home and away more than playing though, I had season ticket every year from the vetch up until about 2 seasons ago where I started playing local football again. I’m currently awaiting surgery on my spine so I’m not sure if my playing days can resume, if not, I’ll be back following the swans up and down the country.

Comment

Working...
          X