Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help?

Afternoon R’s fans, first of all I’m here in peace. The reason I’m here is to ask for your help. It’s a bit of a long shot but I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have recently started researching my family tree, and have gotten as far as my great grandfather, Charles/Charlie Henry Jones. I was always told stories by my grandfather before he passed, of living on South Africa road as a young child, while his father played for QPR. I remember as a child, a painting/portrait my grandfather had, of a gentleman in a blue and white hooped kit, who i now believe was his father. I don’t have much to go on other than that he was born in 1911, so I believe he must have played during the early/mid 30’s. I’ve searched for QPR team photos from that era but to no avail. If anyone could help, or point me in the right decision, i would appreciate it very much.

Sorry Can't help mate.
    but good luck with the search.

Comment

Originally posted by SwanseaBen View Post
      Afternoon R’s fans, first of all I’m here in peace. The reason I’m here is to ask for your help. It’s a bit of a long shot but I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have recently started researching my family tree, and have gotten as far as my great grandfather, Charles/Charlie Henry Jones. I was always told stories by my grandfather before he passed, of living on South Africa road as a young child, while his father played for QPR. I remember as a child, a painting/portrait my grandfather had, of a gentleman in a blue and white hooped kit, who i now believe was his father. I don’t have much to go on other than that he was born in 1911, so I believe he must have played during the early/mid 30’s. I’ve searched for QPR team photos from that era but to no avail. If anyone could help, or point me in the right decision, i would appreciate it very much.
      Contact the club , they have a club historian that should be able to help.

Comment

The guy who runs this MB is an amatuer historian / archive of things QPR. Try and post there.

https://qprreport.proboards.com/

Comment

If you're on Twitter, try @retroQPR.

Comment

There may be some truth in the family history. Charlie Jones32/33 Div3(south) 13 appearances I goal. 33/34 3 Appearances. Is that enough for you to shout COYR's and change clubs?

Comment

Can I ask where you found that? I do already own a QPR top, not sure I can change clubs though, I’m in too deep now haha

Comment

From the official records of Gordon Macey who was at time the Official QPR Club Historian. Can I entice again for you to go all the way to change clubs if I tell you who he scored against in a 3-1 at the White City?

And if that does not do it, how's about a team photo from 34/35? Odd that he is there at start of season but he make no appearances.

Comment

Originally posted by SwanseaBen View Post
                  Can I ask where you found that? I do already own a QPR top, not sure I can change clubs though, I’m in too deep now haha
                  I owned a Swansea shirt as a kid during the Tosh years from living in Pembrokeshire. But I saw the light after seeing Stan Bowles on TV.

Comment

Ben, Good luck, hope you get the information you need.

I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Bloody hell! I am the latest in a long line of unremarkable and mediocre offspring. Imagine having an ancestor playing for the Rs - that'd be absolutely fantastic eh!? I'm well jealous of Swansea Ben I can tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Classof66 View Post
                        From the official records of Gordon Macey who was at time the Official QPR Club Historian. Can I entice again for you to go all the way to change clubs if I tell you who he scored against in a 3-1 at the White City?

And if that does not do it, how's about a team photo from 34/35? Odd that he is there at start of season but he make no appearances.
                        please tell me it was Cardiff?

i’ve also discovered my great grandfather and a great uncle both played for Swansea RFC and both scored tries against the All Blacks (in 1905 and 1934/35 respectively) so it’s been a relatively good day, until I remembered I’ve done sod all when it came to sport compared to them!

unfortunately, I’ve searched google for a while but just can’t seem to find anything from that era other than the stats that Classof66 has very kindly posted. I’m sure I’ll come across something/someone that will help, I’d certainly love to find a picture of him, especially in a QPR kit. The picture I mentioned in my OP was given to one of my grandfathers brothers after he passed so heaven knows where it is by now. Thank you everyone for your comments, again, if anyone can find anything that would be great, and I’ll be sure to keep you posted on any findings. I can’t say I’ll support you over the swans, but you’re certainly my favourite London club now! COYR’s

Comment

Now that would be something, but no it was the third goal against Bournemouth 32-33. R's Beat Cardiff 5-1 home and 2-5 away. Try Tony Lorenzo Talk Radio and Sky Broadcaster who is a QPR nut and just about has every programme going at https://twitter.com/TonyIncenzo. See if he can confirm he played in those games or a photo of team-sheet of those games.

As for photo of him, if you pm personal details I will see what I can do on 34-35 squad photo in which he stands in back row. He has a fine stock of jet black hair and unlike the others does not have a naff hairstyle but would you expect nothing else from a W12 lad. Trouble is photo is on centre crease and may be hard to scan, but I will try to take a photo and send as JPEG. I think he got squeezed out for in the 33-34 season the R's signed quite a few seasoned players and he did not get game time as a result to move on as a young player. But the R's were back at Loftus Road, so I suspect one of his three games at least was there if not all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Classof66 View Post

Now that would be something, but no it was the third goal against Bournemouth 32-33. R's Beat Cardiff 5-1 home and 2-5 away. Try Tony Lorenzo Talk Radio and Sky Broadcaster who is a QPR nut and just about has every programme going at https://twitter.com/TonyIncenzo. See if he can confirm he played in those games or a photo of team-sheet of those games.

As for photo of him, if you pm personal details I will see what I can do on 34-35 squad photo in which he stands in back row. He has a fine stock of jet black hair and unlike the others does not have a naff hairstyle but would you expect nothing else from a W12 lad. Trouble is photo is on centre crease and may be hard to scan, but I will try to take a photo and send as JPEG. I think he got squeezed out for in the 33-34 season the R's signed quite a few seasoned players and he did not get game time as a result to move on as a young player. But the R's were back at Loftus Road, so I suspect one of his three games at least was there if not all three.
                            can’t seem to pm you, can you message me so I can reply with details?

Comment

I've got a postcard size team picture of 1934/5 squad and the first name on it is Jones. Message me and I will post it to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X