• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olamide Shodipo

Olamide shodipo
    Stay and play ?
    stay and go out on loan?
    go?

I can't see role for Shodipo, Chair, Willock and Thomas playing well. 4th choice attacking midfielder should be younger player from U23s.

Under contract for another season, expect him to go out on loan and get released next Summer.

Comment

I think our turnaround in fortunes since January has probably put an end to his future with us ., especially the emergence of Willock who has nailed down a starting position. I expect us to receive a few bids for him though as he has done himself no harm at Oxford.

Comment

Originally posted by Isleworth116 View Post
        I can't see role for Shodipo, Chair, Willock and Thomas playing well. 4th choice attacking midfielder should be younger player from U23s.

Under contract for another season, expect him to go out on loan and get released next Summer.
        Personally rather try shodipo than Thomas, dont think he adds anything

Comment

I can't see point of loaning him out for the year and then he's out of contract. We either commit to him in our squad now or sell him. Even if we just get £25K that's better than getting zero this time next year.

Hopefully this will make people wake up and realise the majority of "kids" do not evolve into genuine first team players. That's not peculiar to us, it's across the league. I'd be surprised if more than one "kid" makes the transition at any club more than once ever 2/3 years. I reckon we are not doing too badly with our developmental squads but we still need transfers and loans to be the meat and potatoes of the 1st team - any homegrown additions are a bonus, not an expectation.

Comment

Originally posted by furlong29 View Post

Personally rather try shodipo than Thomas, dont think he adds anything
            Thomas was very good when he did come on for us, and he's got more to his game than just a forward. (Different player IMO)

I like Mide, but will he struggle to play for this squad?

Comment

Originally posted by qpr4life View Post

Thomas was very good when he did come on for us, and he's got more to his game than just a forward. (Different player IMO)

I like Mide, but will he struggle to play for this squad?
              Agree about Thomas , I think there is more to come from him next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                I can't see point of loaning him out for the year and then he's out of contract. We either commit to him in our squad now or sell him. Even if we just get £25K that's better than getting zero this time next year.

Hopefully this will make people wake up and realise the majority of "kids" do not evolve into genuine first team players. That's not peculiar to us, it's across the league. I'd be surprised if more than one "kid" makes the transition at any club more than once ever 2/3 years. I reckon we are not doing too badly with our developmental squads but we still need transfers and loans to be the meat and potatoes of the 1st team - any homegrown additions are a bonus, not an expectation.
                Totally agree that it makes no sense whatsoever to loan him out again in his final season. I think Oxford would be willing to pay a fee (more than £25k) for him if he was put up for sale, as would a number of other League 1 sides having seen what he has done out on loan. A fee of 100k with a 30% sell on clause would probably suffice.

Comment

I'd keep. Good option off the bench and cheap .

Comment

Thought I'd give you some feedback from an Oxford perspective - overall Shodipo has had a good season, his 10 league goals would make a decent show-reel in there own right. His overall game has improved massively, when he first arrived if he lost the ball he would drift back and certainly never track. Since Xmas, when our form improved, he has worked much harder and contributed his bit defensively.

However, I'm not 100% he could cut it in the Championship - he has some skill and enough pace, although not blistering and whilst his goal return has been impressive, I think he has managed one or two assists in a team that has scored 70+ goals. He can also disappear for large chunks of a game if things aren't happening.

I think it's been a good arrangement for both parties. He's had regular football in a team that tries to play properly and we've benefited from a player that wants to improve. I think he also needs some sympathetic management.

As noted above, I don't think you'd struggle to sell him to a League One team for a smallish fee with a good sell-on. We've brought through a few players on that basis in recent years - Dickie (as you know!), Lundstrom at Sheffield, Kemar Roofe (Rangers), Ledson (Preston), Johnson (Middlesbrough) and Nelson and Whyte at Cardiff. Whether he's the answer to your problems is another question!

Comment

Thanks Ron

Comment

Working...
                      X