Wingbacks Wingbacks Wingbacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

? Did you not read OP..... Threads about our weakness at RB/LB.

I agree we have been weak in full-back areas for years, deffo before Warburton arrived. Today, we are still weak in these areas - Warburton manifestly hasn't solved the problem at all. I am not disagreeing with the idea of getting 2/3/4 new full/wing backs through the door but given our finances and the likelihood of sourcing top-notch players is low, I have suggested the alternative approach of employing a coach who can solve the ongoing problem by improving existing players. This would be a far cheaper solution than just throwing players at Warburton and hoping he can do something with them.
    I get you're anti Warburton and that's fine. But the form table doesn't lie, since he's had some decent players at his disposal we've been doing great, good football, solid results. Some players have turned their season and maybe careers around because of it.

Throwing money at WB's when there isn't the money to be spent, and throwing money at a formation is a bit anti why we have a DOF, sure. For my part i see a plan working, i see no alternative coaches at this point in time that wouldn't be a bigger gamble than getting a couple of young players or prem squad players in to fill those positions. You are right though, we haven't had really good full backs since Walker.

From a football perspective, i like wing backs, as long as the squad depth is there it allows for greater flexibility of formation during the game, something I think Warbs would be able to do more often, if squad was stronger and more flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

? Did you not read OP..... Threads about our weakness at RB/LB.

I agree we have been weak in full-back areas for years, deffo before Warburton arrived. Today, we are still weak in these areas - Warburton manifestly hasn't solved the problem at all. I am not disagreeing with the idea of getting 2/3/4 new full/wing backs through the door but given our finances and the likelihood of sourcing top-notch players is low, I have suggested the alternative approach of employing a coach who can solve the ongoing problem by improving existing players. This would be a far cheaper solution than just throwing players at Warburton and hoping he can do something with them.
      Yes I know that & then why bring up about a new manager & Saying play 4 at the back when our system has been working fine, I rest my case, probably need think a bit before you reply

Comment

Ryan Manning would have been an ideal wing back in this team . Not the best defender but quality delivery going forward. Sadly his head got turned by a few extra quid .

Comment

Matt Penney 21 Sheffield Wednesday LB out of contract end of season.Linked to us according to newsnow

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
            Ryan Manning would have been an ideal wing back in this team . Not the best defender but quality delivery going forward. Sadly his head got turned by a few extra quid .
            I still think it was a huge error to sell him for a pittance like we did when as you say, he would have been ideal for us this season, even if he did go on to leave on a free in June. We would have got good service from him or let him rot in the kids squads as we would have done with BOS if Fenerbache did not agree a fee.

Comment

Originally posted by MINCER View Post
              Matt Penney 21 Sheffield Wednesday LB out of contract end of season.Linked to us according to newsnow
              Never sign a defender who has his socks pulled up over his knees. Doesn't make him look like hes willing to put his foot in and get hurt does it!! Can you imagine Mark Dennis or Rufus Brevett running around smashing people with their socks up around their ar se!! No chance.

Comment

Originally posted by MINCER View Post
                I dont know much about him, but he has made something like 28 apperances for Sheffield Wednesday. He also recently had a loan spell with FC St Pauli, making 17 apperances and scoring one goal. Hes also had loan spells at Bradford City and Mansfield Town.

He is a low risk signing, so maybe good to go for on a free transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dono77 View Post

Never sign a defender who has his socks pulled up over his knees. Doesn't make him look like hes willing to put his foot in and get hurt does it!! Can you imagine Mark Dennis or Rufus Brevett running around smashing people with their socks up around their ar se!! No chance.
                  Dennis and brevitt hard men drop me out

Comment

Originally posted by ConorQPR2000 View Post

I dont know much about him, but he has made something like 28 apperances for Sheffield Wednesday. He also recently had a loan spell with FC St Pauli, making 17 apperances and scoring one goal. Hes also had loan spells at Bradford City and Mansfield Town.

He is a low risk signing, so maybe good to go for on a free transfer.
                    The fact that Wednesday would prefer to play a CB and a RB out of position rather than him should tell you a lot. Plus he is not free as we would have to pay a developement fee.

Comment

Another C/Back with pace required please.Too easy for teams to bypass the high line the team currently employs.Barbet again at fault for Dieng red card.

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post

The fact that Wednesday would prefer to play a CB and a RB out of position rather than him should tell you a lot. Plus he is not free as we would have to pay a developement fee.
                        Unless the club see something in him that suits us better then I dont know.

Comment

Originally posted by ConorQPR2000 View Post

Unless the club see something in him that suits us better then I dont know.
                          Just because he isn’t the right fit for another club doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be an asset for us . Jordy couldn’t get a game at league 1 Hull yet looks comfortable playing for us at this level . The same things were said about Mackie , Derry and Hill the season they arrived. Dom Ball couldn’t get in a league 1 Rotherham side but is a good squad player for us .

Comment

He might still be better than what we have as back up to Wallace.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

Just because he isn’t the right fit for another club doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be an asset for us . Jordy couldn’t get a game at league 1 Hull yet looks comfortable playing for us at this level . The same things were said about Mackie , Derry and Hill the season they arrived. Dom Ball couldn’t get in a league 1 Rotherham side but is a good squad player for us .
                              Mackie,derry and hill.
                              now there's 3 names that's just put a smile on my face.

Comment

Working...
                              X