Wingbacks Wingbacks Wingbacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wingbacks Wingbacks Wingbacks

In my opinion our weakest position by far. I'd get rid of all of the current options and replace with 2 dedicated and 2 back ups who can play elsewhere. As that will never happen will have to make do with 2 dedicated plus what we keep after this season.

What realistic options are there? Who has seen some lower league talent or bench warming prem non starter?

Mathew Sorinola 20 Left WB MK Dons out of contract end of season.Unlike most modern day players can play with both feet.

Jack Tucker 21 CB Gillingham out of contract end of season.

Both players would be available on development fees

Comment

We missed Wallace last night, don’t rate Nico & Kakay had a poor game, supposed to cover centre back but seemed more over to the RB position, Kane not a lot better & yes new backs next season

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffqpr View Post
        We missed Wallace last night, don’t rate Nico & Kakay had a poor game, supposed to cover centre back but seemed more over to the RB position, Kane not a lot better & yes new backs next season
        I agree about Wallace, he has been outstanding in the last month or two and I don't rate Kakay, Kane and certainly not Hamalainen. If we can sign at least 2 new wingbacks that are better than those 3 for next season that would be very useful. Although they are still under contract and finding buyers for them might prove difficult.

Comment

Wallace been brilliant so must be kept as first choice LWB, sell Kane, loan out Nico and keep Ozzie as RWB back up. But agree we need 2 x new WBs on either side still.

Comment

I agree with others, Wallace has been good and we may get another good season out of him but he needs some good competition/back up, Nico doesn't seem to fit that bill at this time, on the other side we did see some really good matches from Kane but he is very inconsistent and should be replaced with a better wingback, Kakay is good cover there and may grow into the role but at this time I don't think he is an every game starter! If we are going to continue to play this system which I think most will agree we should this is a crucial position to address!
            @gatorTFC

Comment

Despite Barbet playing reasonably well at CB for the most part he is still prone to lapses in concentration which seem to have gone unnoticed in the last couple of games.

I would suggest Barbet undoubted talent for passing and crossing may be better suited at Left WB.

Comment

Originally posted by lincoln ranger View Post
                Wallace been brilliant so must be kept as first choice LWB, sell Kane, loan out Nico and keep Ozzie as RWB back up. But agree we need 2 x new WBs on either side still.
                Agree with you Lincoln, Wallace well with another season unless there’s a free he’s been very good since getting fit

As for selling Kane what’s he worth, kakay I’d keep as cover but nico sorry not up to it

Comment

Couple of suggestions.

Dujon Sterling
                  Josh Sims
                  Ronan Curtis
                  Mallik Wilks

Comment

Let Warburton go and bring in a manager happy to play a flat back four and deploy proper winger(s). What exactly is the obsession with wing-backs anyway? Warburton has had two years to make his wingback obsession work and he has failed miserably in my view.
                    I think Kane and Wallace can be solid pure defenders and likes of Adomah, Willock and Thomas can be decent pure wingers. It's conceivable that Kakay and Hammy could be decent wingers too. I think we have the personnel already if manager has the wit and flexibility to deploy and coach them correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                      Let Warburton go and bring in a manager happy to play a flat back four and deploy proper winger(s). What exactly is the obsession with wing-backs anyway? Warburton has had two years to make his wingback obsession work and he has failed miserably in my view.
                      I think Kane and Wallace can be solid pure defenders and likes of Adomah, Willock and Thomas can be decent pure wingers. It's conceivable that Kakay and Hammy could be decent wingers too. I think we have the personnel already if manager has the wit and flexibility to deploy and coach them correctly.
                      Wtf how has he failed? Results since new year has proved how good it’s been except a few mishaps now & again, keep what he’s been doing

Comment

Wtf how has he failed? Results since new year has proved how good it’s been except a few mishaps now & again, keep what he’s been doing
                        Again I agree with you. I was advocating a 3 at the back system as it also produced our best form whilst it was used last season.

Our form has been very good with just the occasional loss, since the switch at the end of December. Obviously the loan signings have also hugely contributed to the improvement, but it can be argued that they fit in well within the 3 at the back formation.

I don't know anything about the suggested names given in this thread but perhaps MW, the DoF and scouts are fully aware of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                          Give over we're in the top 5 since Christmas on form and that's with #### backs. Kakay and Hammy are ok for where we are but not for where we are going.

Barbet as a WB back up isn't a bad shout.

I do agree Wallace has been good but if playing this way those two positions are key, if they suck the back 3 has to pick up the slack, the midfield is over run and the strikers get no service, good wingbacks and the whole team can perform at a higher level. Is Wallace good enough? Yeah guess so being realistic.

Comment

Wallace has been good The 2nd half of the season and his re-introduction into the team has coincided with an upturn in form. We do need to remember that he was shocked for a long period earlier on this season and I'm not sure we can rely on him being fit over the course of a whole season. Imo we need a new lwb as well as anew rwb.
                            as for the Rotherham game, there was no danger at the back until the Vice Man went off at ht - for me Kane was the culprit as he looked disinterested and did not drop back enough. Kane played as a right winger instead of as a rwb and left Kakay completely exposed. Had enough of Kane and his crap attitude. He is not as good or content as he thinks he is

Comment

? Did you not read OP..... Threads about our weakness at RB/LB.

I agree we have been weak in full-back areas for years, deffo before Warburton arrived. Today, we are still weak in these areas - Warburton manifestly hasn't solved the problem at all. I am not disagreeing with the idea of getting 2/3/4 new full/wing backs through the door but given our finances and the likelihood of sourcing top-notch players is low, I have suggested the alternative approach of employing a coach who can solve the ongoing problem by improving existing players. This would be a far cheaper solution than just throwing players at Warburton and hoping he can do something with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X