Glenn Roeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenn Roeder

Haven't posted on here for years but felt moved to come out of retirement as (unless I've missed it?) no one seems to have commented on the very sad and premature death of Glenn Roeder. As well as always conducting himself perfectly, leading by example as QPR captain, he formed my favourite ever Rangers centre back pairing with Stevie Wicks. But more than that, he was IMHO a really ground-breaking player. Along with Alan Hanson he pioneered the idea in the English game that a centre half could be calm on the ball and play it out from the back. I will always remember the "Glenn shuffle" - he was far from the quickest and seemed to have slightly crab feet but despite this, he would march up field with the ball, do a couple of shuffles, and before you knew it he was approaching the opposition penalty area to lay it off to a Tony Currie or a John Gregory. Opponents knew what was about to happen but would get done every time. Great days. Fantastic as Terry Fenwick was for us I was really frustrated when El Tel bombed Roeder out of the team by moving Fenwick from right back to centre half. Glenn then moved to Newcastle which was considered a step down at the time. With Roeder's finesse and Wick's dominance it made for a great pairing. By all accounts Glenn was a lovely fella and a gent off the pitch as well. RIP. As a post-script, its great to see we have revived the tradition of buying centre halves cheap from lower league clubs (Roeder was from Orient if I remember right) and we then went on to get Darren Peacock. Rob Dickie seems to have a bit of both of those guys about him and has great promise.

Duh! Apologies Mods I only noticed afterwards that you had posted a sticky on this very subject - I never seem to look at those stickies. Sorry about that. Feel free to merge this post with that.

Comment

Welcome back isalegend.I never noticed the pinned thread either, until later than most.

Comment

Decided something this important needed to be featured, and a sticky.

Won't merge, as Glenn deserves at least a couple of threads, and I'm sure there will be more people wanting to pay their respects to one of our finest
        Minds Are Like Parachutes.
        Work Best When Open...
        @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Very sad news. Not only was Glenn a great cultured captain he was a leader on the pitch and a lovely bloke off it. Its always the good guys that get taken so early in life . Rest in peace Captain

Comment

Working...
          X