• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QPR ruining weekends since 1882

N/M

So so true.

Comment

I should know better than to look forward to a match after winning 2 away matches on the bounce, I thought maybe with no QPR+ for me this might be the game where we finally score some goals and I'm not going to see it, not so much!
      @gatorTFC

Comment

Very disappointed with today, I stupidly thought we were building Upto a little run.
        I don’t like to single players out, it’s a Team game .
        But Dykes please just leave!!
        F*CK OFF CHELSEA WEST LONDON IS OURS!

Comment

Originally posted by northampton rs View Post
          Very disappointed with today, I stupidly thought we were building Upto a little run.
          I don’t like to single players out, it’s a Team game .
          But Dykes please just leave!!
          Dykes & Austin had no support & crossing was diabolical

Comment

That 1882 date. How genuine is that? I remember early in the year 1982 the club suddenly announced we were born in 1882 and thus it was now our centenary year. It all seem rather sudden and out of the blue - there'd been no build up at the start of that season or anything.
            My lasting impression was that it was a marketing wheeze to make a quick buck. However, it was kind of lost and wasted due to our subsequent march to FA Cup Final..... The centenary celebrations were suddenly superfluous and went by the wayside in favour of cup fever.
            However, the club had shot it's bolt, they'd named 1882 and now had to stick with it. I think they should have gone for a more realistic date for the formation of QPR FC rather than a sort of archaeological reach back to some church team.
            I'm not dissing our history, I'm just pointing out my recollection of events in 1982 when a centenary was magically pulled out if a hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo
              It's in the club's history. The club was formed by a merger of St Judes Institute and Christchurch Rangers in 1882.
              To be exact Christchurch Rangers were formed in 1882, the merger with St Judes was 1886.

Comment

The whole thing is sketchy in my view. My recollection is the above dates appeared out of nowhere in very late 1981 and the club suddenly announced "Yippee!! It's our centenary" which you have to admit is quite convenient isn't it?

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone with older programmes from 70s and before to see what our founded date was quoted as prior to 1980s as I'll be first to admit my memory is somewhat addled and not what it was.

Comment

I've fished a 1963 away programme out of my attic and it has following bio.....

Founded 1885 by Rev. Gordon Young for boys of Droop Street Board School ; became professional club 1898 ; Southern League 1899 - 1920, when became one of original members of League Division III ; popularly known as ' the R's. '

This does back up my recollection that 1882 was not always cited as a our date of foundation. Even the above 1885, which seems to relate to a school, seems like it's "reaching" somewhat.

I do accept there's a bit of a licence or leeway to pick a date somewhere from when a few snotty urchins started kicking a ball about in 1880s and finally becoming pro team in 1898 though.

Ah well, whatever - I stand my original point that the 1882 date was maybe borne out of a somewhat of hastily arranged piece of gimmicky marketing in 1981-ish based on some tenuous links between some old schools. I'd say 1898 is a more credible date and would still make us a grand old club that's been ruining Saturday's for 120 years+.

Comment

In 1882 there was a team playing as St. Judes, ( from the Droop Street area )
                    In 1886 they merged with a team playing as Christchurch Rangers
                    As most of the players were from the Queens Park area, the name Queens Park Rangers was chosen.
                    This was the first time we played under that name.
                    Make of it what you will, but 1886 seems more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersroar View Post
                      As most of the players were from the Queens Park area, the name Queens Park Rangers was chosen.
                      That sounds about right to me too. However, the club is over 130 years old and has been ruining fans' weekends on a regular basis since forming. I have probably only really enjoyed maybe 15 seasons (with quite a few ruined weekends during those) out of my 47 years of supporting QPR.

The rest have largely been ruined weekends with a sprinkling of good ones and I look forward to the end of the season where I 'escape' from watching frustrating performances.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersroar View Post
                        QPR’s origin can be traced back to D Street Board School, later known as Droop Street founded in 1877. The school still stands, but was renamed in 1951 to Queens Park Primary School. The boys wanted to continue playing football after they finished school and formed a football club. It's likely the team was founded in 1882 under the name Droop Street Boys FC. Since the name Droop Street first existed 1884 it is possible that the absolutely first name was D Street Boys FC. In June 1, 1882 at the School Drill Hour on the playground was disrupted by outsiders. It may have been about football when the team was formed by a group of pupils and other young people.

http://qprland.larsnorlin.se/qpr.html

Comment

https://www.londonremembers.com/subj...-football-club

Comment

Working...
                          X