Warbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

I've wanted shot him for more than a year. I'm not blowing in the wind or revising my opinion every 5 minutes either. He's a bang average manager with a pisspoor record who's taking us nowhere. Obviously, if you are content with biding time for a few years going nowhere he IS the man for the job, I grant you that.
    I'm confident enough to say that if he the Norwich squad he'd have them in top spot same as Farke has done.

Comment

I think we should rest assure that the future of Warburton has been adressed already, despite lack of an announcement. I find it unlikely that QPR will let a manager like Warburton, who can easily be picked up by other Championship clubs or foreign clubs, remain in the unknown about his future four months before the conclusion of his contract.

My take is that there is a new contract lined up, but with one caviat: If the club gets relegated, there might not be a prolongiation. Another reason it may not yet be announced, might be that Warburton is dragging his feet, wanting to know what budget is available for next season before commiting to a new contract, or because he is holding out for a better financial package for himself. A club like Cardiff will surely sound out Warburton about the vacant job, and they can probably offer him a better deal than we can.

Warburton has done well, consider the overhaul of the squad he has had to deal with two times in quick succession. Each time the salary budget has been cut in half. Few other managers would deal so well with that. We are still not out of the woods despite the two recent wins, but if we finish where we are now (17th) Warburton has done a good job.

Aside from the results, Warburton has overseen the successful development of young players (Eze, BOS, Chair, Manning, Masterson, Kakay, Dickie), he has establish an attractive style of play, he has (together with Ferdinand and Hoos) delivered a good transfer surplus and he has developed very sellable assets for the future (first of all Dieng and Dickie, hopefully at one point others such as Willock, Dykes, Bonne, Kakay etc). If we, hypotetically, sell Dieng and Dickie for £20m during the next transfer window, the club has netted £40m+ in transfer fees on a spending of £5-6m. That very well done- obviously provided my assumption of the values of Dieng and Dickie are correct. Warburton needs to share the credit with Ferdinand, but he obviously has a big stake in the success.

Warburton is certainly not a Premier League manager. If he was, he would not be here. Because he is not at that level, everything he has done has not been perfect, far from it. We tend to moan about his stubbornness at time, and I think that is fair. As an example, changing system from 4-2-3-1 to 3-5-2 should have been tried much earlier, given the problems we faced in front of both goals. But the fact it is far from perfect, does not mean he hasn't done a good job. The main problem this season is the fact we did not have money in the summer, when the owners were so scared of the potential consequences of covid for their own businesses that they were unwilling to come up with enough money to secure a decent striker. You don't get proven strikers at this level for £6k a month (Dykes, Bonne). I said for a long time that the owners will understand that it is contraproductive not to provide enough cash to sign an experienced striker on loan at he start of the January transfer window. I repeatedly said that this missing piece in the jigsaw is the big problm this season, not the manager. Austin is now in place and I think Warburton now has a squad that is good enough to steer us to safety, provided we find a replacement for Carroll of course.

I think Warburton wants to stay. It looks like he works well with Ferdinand, Hoos, Ramsey, Eustace and the rest of the coaches. He enjoys it here, and I think he knows he has backing and patient bosses and owners, that are desperate to get out of the "sack a manager a year" strategy. I am looking forward to a new contract to be announced, and I will be sad if Cardiff or another club picks him up.

Comment

I think exactly the same but couldnt have written your summary to the same standard. Great post.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
          He's a dead man walking. He's gone in the summer, just keeping hotseat warm over coming few month for the next incumbent.
          Agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
            I think exactly the same but couldnt have written your summary to the same standard. Great post.

Cheers, Sheep!

Comment

Working...
            X