5 at the back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 at the back

We have looked so much more solid with 5 at the back.

The problem is, this has included BOS at left wing back who is a real threat going forward clearly

I can’t see Wallace fulfilling this role (too slow and poor going forward) or Niko (too lightweight)

I don’t want us to go back to 4 at the back as our results have been awful playing this way

Other options;

Recalling MIdo - but he can’t play wingback
    New signing - hope we have some options
    Someone else at wingback - Willock? Thomas?

Thoughts?

Has Liam Lindsay signed a new contract with SC already? Could be a good option.

Comment

No reason why Nico can’t step into left wingback position, he wouldn’t be as exposed as he was at left back and has the legs to get up and down . If we are looking to go for it later on in games we could always play Willock there who again would have the legs to get up and down .

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
        No reason why Nico can’t step into left wingback position, he wouldn’t be as exposed as he was at left back and has the legs to get up and down . If we are looking to go for it later on in games we could always play Willock there who again would have the legs to get up and down .
        Fair point but my concern with Niko is that his crossing is poor and he can’t beat a man ..... based on his performances so far. Clearly in a back 5, we may see a different Niko

Comment

Wallace has shown very little in his 18months with us ,he looks well past his best years but probably better defensively than Nico at this moment.

i wouldn’t be surprised to see Wallace start against Cardiff but a new LWB is a priority in this window

Comment

I agree that we look a lot better with the 5, and it worked well for Kane to be able to get forward and provide crosses.
            My problem with the system isn't the wing backs but the midfield.
            5,3,2 needs a strong playmaker in the middle of the park and we don't have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mem View Post

Fair point but my concern with Niko is that his crossing is poor and he can’t beat a man ..... based on his performances so far. Clearly in a back 5, we may see a different Niko
              I wouldn’t say Nicos crossing could be any worse than Bos to be honest .

Comment

It’s clear looking at his assists (2 in 21) his crossing has been poor and been playing for himself.

Maybe Ody Alpha might be given some game time.

Comment

I hate 5 at the back. 4-4-2 all day for me. Let's face it, 5 at the back is only on the table cos all our full-backs are ropey. If we had decent full-backs there'd be no clamour for playing wingers as pretend defenders.
                  Anyway, formations aren't set in stone during 90 mins.... things can flex and adjust depending on how things are going.

Comment

[QUOTE=Abseits;n2552579]I hate 5 at the back. 4-4-2 all day for me. Let's face it, 5 at the back is only on the table cos all our full-backs are ropey. If we had decent full-backs there'd be no clamour for playing wingers as pretend defenders.
                    Anyway, formations aren't set in stone during 90 mins.... things can flex and adjust depending on how things are going. [/ I think your right , our fullbacks are hardly Bardsley and Wilson . Plus it allows us to play 3 in the middle and gets 2 strikers in the team . Our wingers have been poor this season so even harder to play 4 4 2 .

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                      I hate 5 at the back. 4-4-2 all day for me. Let's face it, 5 at the back is only on the table cos all our full-backs are ropey. If we had decent full-backs there'd be no clamour for playing wingers as pretend defenders.
                      Anyway, formations aren't set in stone during 90 mins.... things can flex and adjust depending on how things are going.
                      Wasn't it 'Arry who wanted wing backs but eventually abandoned it because even then we didn't have the players to make it work?

Comment

Originally posted by Undecided View Post

Wasn't it 'Arry who wanted wing backs but eventually abandoned it because even then we didn't have the players to make it work?
                        He brought Rio Ferdinand in to play 3 at the back but it didn’t work as Richard Dunne wasn’t comfortable in that formation and it was quickly abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

He brought Rio Ferdinand in to play 3 at the back but it didn’t work as Richard Dunne wasn’t comfortable in that formation and it was quickly abandoned.
                          You say quickly, but wasn't it actually about 25 mins into first game?

Comment

Working...
                          X