Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommy Docherty - RIP

Passed away today aged 92.

A great QPR manager but I was quite young to remember the details. I'm sure others on here will remember the times when he managed us in the early 80s

What a shame, I will remember him with fond memories of his second spell at Loftus Rd.
    I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Shame , real colourful character . Didn’t he give starts to likes of Paul Goddard , Clive Allen , Gary Waddock and a few others .

Comment

Met him a few times at away games but could never understand what he said to me but his football philosophy was great and exciting to watch. Had to start a rebuild and brought in Tony Currie, as he knew Stan was probably on his way. RIP Tommy

Comment

Wasn't he manager for our 7-0 home win over Burnley?
          Brought in Chris Woods, Currie, David McCreery ?
          Got beaten up on a train platform remember that.
          His time with us was overshadowed I thought with Venables taking over after him and taking us to the cup final and eventually promotion.
          TV stole the early 80s headlines.
          RIP Doc

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
            Shame , real colourful character . Didn’t he give starts to likes of Paul Goddard , Clive Allen , Gary Waddock and a few others .
            Iirc Clive debuted in the 1st Division a few games before we were relegated.
            Scored a hatrick on debut.....I think.

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

He did Dave I was there a 5 1 win over Coventry in their famous brown kit .

Comment

Sad news RIP Tommy, remember his two stints at HQ & didn’t get on with Gregory first time round

Comment

RIP. He was the one who said he had more clubs then golf clubs

Comment

R.I.P.to Doc.
                    A reasonably successful 2nd spell.

​​​​​​No debuts to Goddard or Allen, he sold those two.
                    He did for Wayne Fereday, Dean Neal and Gary Waddock possibly along with a few others.

Comment

Yes on his full debut , a 4-1 win over Coventry. I remember noting his goal ratio for the youths & reserves and thinking he should be on the 1st team. Who knows, he might have kept us up. This is why I now think that if young players are good enough then put them in the team (even if only as sub).

Comment

Ah, the 7-0 against Burnley, the Glenn Roeder shuffle, Billy O’Rourke, their goalie was making his debut, without him it would have been 10-0, many of our players went to him at the end of the game and shook his hand.
                        I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

He did Dave I was there a 5 1 win over Coventry in their famous brown kit .
                          Aha nice one stains.
                          I honestly thought we were going to escape that year, I'm sure we had a high scoring game after that one too.
                          Cor that brown strip eh
                          Wtf were they thinking?!
                          Mind you it's iconic now

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post
                            Ah, the 7-0 against Burnley, the Glenn Roeder shuffle, Billy O’Rourke, their goalie was making his debut, without him it would have been 10-0, many of our players went to him at the end of the game and shook his hand.
                            Good memory Dave.
                            It was pointed out in later times in a video, something like Danny Baker's Right hammerings or something similar.
                            That Clive Allen hits the post with a shot from very close range and another player puts it in.
                            So Allen instead of celebrating his team mate scoring is holding his head in his hands and is very annoyed

Comment

Aha nice one stains.
                              I honestly thought we were going to escape that year, I'm sure we had a high scoring game after that one too.
                              Cor that brown strip eh
                              Wtf were they thinking?!
                              Mind you it's iconic now
                              That kit is worth a few quid now , I remember our pitch was an absolute mud bath back then , led to us getting the Astro a couple of seasons later .I can vaguely remember being at a game and beating Villa 1 0 towards the end of that season but the damage had already been done and we were doomed , nothing changes much at Rangers .

Comment

Working...
                              X