Ball-ing for a New Captain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball-ing for a New Captain

The only player on the pitch that looked to give a damn today was Dom Ball, even though he came in as a sub. He has that attitude EVERY game, versus an over-the-hill Cameron or a somewhat aloof Barbet.

Make Ball a starter (over Cameron) and the captain. At the very least he will push everyone else on the pitch to bleed for the Hoops.

No one likes a consistently losing football club — but what’s worse is when fans see a squad of players lacking commitment, or a leader amongst them willing to stand up.

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
    The only player on the pitch that looked to give a damn today was Dom Ball, even though he came in as a sub. He has that attitude EVERY game, versus an over-the-hill Cameron or a somewhat aloof Barbet.

Make Ball a starter (over Cameron) and the captain. At the very least he will push everyone else on the pitch to bleed for the Hoops.

No one likes a consistently losing football club — but what’s worse is when fans see a squad of players lacking commitment, or a leader amongst them willing to stand up.
    I’m not sure we should read so much into one horrific performance, if nothing changes or there is no improvement in the next few games then all things should be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

I’m not sure we should read so much into one horrific performance, if nothing changes or there is no improvement in the next few games then all things should be considered.
      Thanks for your response.

I am with you on this “horrific performance”, but the larger issues remain. We don’t have a captain/leader that exhorts the team on during the game, and we have but one way of p,aging regardless of the circumstances of any particular game. Makes us very easy for the opposing team to plan for and against us.

After nearly five seasons of mediocrity it is reasonable to ask any and all questions.

Comment

To be honest I don't know why Cameron was made captain, yeah he's experienced but he was never going to play 3 games a week at his age which this season demand.

If you look at the 16 league games ignore cups as were pony in them anyway. P16 W4 L7 D5, Of the 7 defeats Blackburn Awful, Preston Awful, Huddersfield Ok Barnsley we imploded with 10 men but 25% this season league games we've been abysmal and we are crying out for some leadership ok he's not the greatest Ball but he's 100% committed at the minute you can't really argue with him at least he will run into space which Carroll and Cameron don't do. When he starts and get hauled off we often lose shape. Lets be honest Henderson aint Liverpools greatest player but he leads by example.

Going back to the stats without going through the games it would be interesting to see the games V Brentford Bristol City Watford if he was in the starting line up as them 3 games we were very good and the ones which we were abysmal if he didn't?

Comment

Good post. Worth doing the math on Ball. What’s unmistakable though is he will go through brick walls for the team. Clint Hill-like in that regard.

Comment

That's fair enough Stains but it's not just the horror show but it's the games where we've played well and been on top and had to settle for point at best , this tells us we're a squad with a soft under bellie that need a captain and what I've seen Ball is only one that looks like he MIGHT be a man for it ,
            Warburton doesn't seem to want players for their battling qualities he bombed Scowens out but even though he wasn't everybody's cup of tea we could do with a couple with his attitude in the side right now

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post

That's fair enough Stains but it's not just the horror show but it's the games where we've played well and been on top and had to settle for point at best , this tells us we're a squad with a soft under bellie that need a captain and what I've seen Ball is only one that looks like he MIGHT be a man for it ,
              Warburton doesn't seem to want players for their battling qualities he bombed Scowens out but even though he wasn't everybody's cup of tea we could do with a couple with his attitude in the side right now
              Yeah good points , the thing is you want your captain to be the first name on the team sheet and I don’t see Ball featuring every week . Maybe Dickie may be an option ?

Comment

Yeah good points , the thing is you want your captain to be the first name on the team sheet and I don’t see Ball featuring every week . Maybe Dickie may be an option ?
                No Ball won't play regular every week I think M W bought him in as squad member , I'm not one for getting rid of M W and mean this as constructive criticism but I don't see leadership from him to quiet never seen him laugh imo he needs a right hand man who could relate to the players someone stern enough but someone the players respect that they could turn to

Comment

Ball has really grown on me, unlike Kane and Wallace, very disappointed in Cameron this year, really wanted to get behind him living in America, something to talk about down the bars of Santa Barbara but cant. While I’m on it what does Tom bring ? Passing and vision? I dont think so, steel in midfield HAHAHAHA.

Comment

The influx of foreign managers seems to have significantly diluted the importance of captains. Most of the foreigners see it as a daft antiquated thing, they don't prescribe much importance to the role and see it mainly as ceremonial thing.
                    I reckon that thinking has permeated to most clubs now, even those with British managers. I dunno if it's a specific rule or just a convention but aren't captain's allowed to moan at the ref or ask questions? In that scenario, a well-spoken genial polite player might make more sense? Dickie might say "fahking hell ref, that weren't in the box" whereas Carroll might say "excuse me Sir, that seemed outside the box - would you mind consulting your assistant?".
                    Maybe you need brains, not brawn in the modern skipper.

Comment

You are giving a very misguided view of a football captain or a changing room leader just answer did these player bawl out referies
                      Terry Venables a true leader of players
                      Gerry Francis another leader
                      Shaun Derry not captain but a leader
                      Allie Faulin a leader
                      KevinGallon
                      Tony Curry Ray Wilkins
                      All QPR captains or leaders in QPRs past

Comment

Good shout that

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
                          You are giving a very misguided view of a football captain or a changing room leader just answer did these player bawl out referies
                          Terry Venables a true leader of players
                          Gerry Francis another leader
                          Shaun Derry not captain but a leader
                          Allie Faulin a leader
                          KevinGallon
                          Tony Curry Ray Wilkins
                          All QPR captains or leaders in QPRs past
                          Them were the old days. Biggest issue today is the revolving door of players.... You get 3 or 4 in, 3 or 4 out every 6 months. I just don't see how you can build a genuine team or camaraderie with such a turnover over of players. It's like the squad is a disparate bunch of temps, have boots - will travel sort of thing. Park here for a year or two and then move on. How that lends itself to a natural and recognised skipper they all look up to is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

Them were the old days. Biggest issue today is the revolving door of players.... You get 3 or 4 in, 3 or 4 out every 6 months. I just don't see how you can build a genuine team or camaraderie with such a turnover over of players. It's like the squad is a disparate bunch of temps, have boots - will travel sort of thing. Park here for a year or two and then move on. How that lends itself to a natural and recognised skipper they all look up to is beyond me.
                            The Bosman rule changed all of that , players now have better options every time their contracts expire .Very rare you will get a player staying with a club at our level longer than 2 or 3 years these days.

Comment

Working...
                            X