Domination with no rewards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domination with no rewards

I’ve found myself trying to work out how we can completely outplay Watford, Brentford and others but lose and draw games we should be way out of sight. Tonight we played the best I’ve seen first half in years, yes Bristol City played badly as well but we were superb. We create several decent chances but only score one. Our opponents can 1 or 2 chances and will always score 1 of them.

So how do we address this? This is what I’ve been trying to get my ahead around. My thoughts:

1) should have signed Wells at all costs as his pace and prowess would have put away several chances others miss. If not Wells is Kelman the answer? If not we need a striker of Wells ilk

2) the manager and coaches are coaching average championship players well. We are outplaying better sides. They’re better because they’re near the top despite getting lucky point or 3 against us. So, do we need to change the manager or style of play to get better results from our average bunch? Are Warburton’s tactics and style of play suited to the likes of Rob Dickie (that pass was shocking today - under NO pressure).

3) will we simply just get by and stay up as we are? Is that acceptable as a fan? Are you happy outplaying supposed better sides and having our better players taken off us every season? Rinse and repeat?

Great post.

Agree we have average players on the whole, and often have to square off against squads that are deeper and more talented.

Yet why we believe the “possession game” — this season, next season, for the next century — will lead to our salvation is beyond me.

We need two things to escape the muddy rut we are in.

One. A finisher in the box, a la Charlie Austin.

Two. A real leader as captain on the field who can both bark and boost as needed.

MW seems a solid human being, but also,one who clearly has but one way of playing the game (which every other Championship team has figured out and adjusted to).

No innovation. No thinking outside-the-box. Just an aging coach sitting on an ice chest on the sideline accepting the flotsam of mediocrity around him.

Comment

Get austin in. Even half fit and on one leg still means hes better than any of the current lot. Would have liked to see us go for mowatt from Barnsley when we had the chance. Gets a few goals, puts his foot in, likes to play and can score from long range. Plus hes a captain so straight away hes the right type of leader we need. Basically the opposite to caroll, ball and Cameron.

Comment

Need to play 442 and ditch all this possession stuff don't we realise we have most of the possession in games and still lose it doesn't f ucking work change it.

Comment

You know what it will take and it's something we dont have....££££££££££££

We have average players that are playing alongside youngsters or inexperienced players. We all know where we are despite the bad results. We'll get the points we need and as the game rack up they'll get more experience.

Not sure if we'll be generating much cash in transfer fees for a while though, so I hope the owners have deep pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
            You know what it will take and it's something we dont have....££££££££££££

We have average players that are playing alongside youngsters or inexperienced players. We all know where we are despite the bad results. We'll get the points we need and as the game rack up they'll get more experience.

Not sure if we'll be generating much cash in transfer fees for a while though, so I hope the owners have deep pockets.

To be fait though Sheep MW with what you say are average players should of beat Watford Bristol City and with a decent ref Brentford, Reality is where the quality matters in the final 3rd we can't cross we can't shoot and at the other end the defence is so inexperienced its telling too frequently. Personally I think Dykes is shite as is Bonne chair has decent patches then goes awol. for what we paid for the two strikers possibly Austin a good shout but we aint got his wages we can't tie Bos down as good as he is he's equally as bad his decision making is poor as is his passing at times probably why nobody decent wants him in England. From what ive seen Kelman he's gotta be better than Adomah fk me he's had it he's come too late in his career buy a ST and go back to being a fan. put 2-3 decent players in this side and its top 10 leave it as it is personally I think were a soft touch and will struggle

Comment

What is it with people on here suddenly everybody is s hit say Dykes is crap not that Samuel and Chair Kakay are poor when it comes to put a decent cross in, they hang on to it to long, how many chances has Dykes had not many because of some of the decisions in the final third, poor corners poor free kicks, and to much tippy tappy football at the back, by the time the ball goes forward the opposition have all dropped back to defend, also our defense is not the best, Dykes will score goals with decent service there other players that are worse than him when it comes to going for goal, start getting behind the players, we know that some are not as good as others.
              Until we get a better standard of player, we can all complain about certain players, I'm one but when you calm down you realise that we are a long way from being a very good championship side.
              I'm sure we will get there in the end it's not going to happen overnight.
              So let's all have a bit more patience we will get there in the finish, we are not going to be relegation fodder there is worse sides than us.

Comment

We look a good side a lot of the time , we should not be ditching our style of play . We need to make better decisions in the final third and be more clinical . Mistakes at the back are also killing us , Dickie last night a prime example.

Comment

Originally posted by Macca View Post
                  What is it with people on here suddenly everybody is s hit say Dykes is crap not that Samuel and Chair Kakay are poor when it comes to put a decent cross in, they hang on to it to long, how many chances has Dykes had not many because of some of the decisions in the final third, poor corners poor free kicks, and to much tippy tappy football at the back, by the time the ball goes forward the opposition have all dropped back to defend, also our defense is not the best, Dykes will score goals with decent service there other players that are worse than him when it comes to going for goal, start getting behind the players, we know that some are not as good as others.
                  Until we get a better standard of player, we can all complain about certain players, I'm one but when you calm down you realise that we are a long way from being a very good championship side.
                  I'm sure we will get there in the end it's not going to happen overnight.
                  So let's all have a bit more patience we will get there in the finish, we are not going to be relegation fodder there is worse sides than us.
                  Good sensible post .

Comment

Mark Warburton has well and truly been found out. It`s time for him to resign.
                    QPR
                    Best team in the world
                    Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                      Mark Warburton has well and truly been found out. It`s time for him to resign.
                      There is plenty to iron out and improve on but saying that after watching last nights 1st half performance is unfair in my opinion .

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy24 View Post

To be fait though Sheep MW with what you say are average players should of beat Watford Bristol City and with a decent ref Brentford, Reality is where the quality matters in the final 3rd we can't cross we can't shoot and at the other end the defence is so inexperienced its telling too frequently. Personally I think Dykes is shite as is Bonne chair has decent patches then goes awol. for what we paid for the two strikers possibly Austin a good shout but we aint got his wages we can't tie Bos down as good as he is he's equally as bad his decision making is poor as is his passing at times probably why nobody decent wants him in England. From what ive seen Kelman he's gotta be better than Adomah fk me he's had it he's come too late in his career buy a ST and go back to being a fan. put 2-3 decent players in this side and its top 10 leave it as it is personally I think were a soft touch and will struggle
                        Yes, but you say should have, could have done this or that. The fact they didnt means they are not top drawer players.

Yes, we paid money for Dykes and Bonne and for us it was huge money, but in context of the market it was peanuts. Tony went to Brentford for a fee up to £10m and we got two strikers for circa £3m. The errors being made are reflective of their quality and we need to coach them to improve them. Bonne scored 11 goals last season so hes a one goal in four games player - that's the return we're expecting from him, but I doubt he'll get that because he's a bench striker. We have got what we could afford, warts en all.

MW has already said hes looking for an addition CB in Jan so hopefully that situation will improve. I've heard many managers say it would be worse if we weren't creating chances so things arent that bad. We'll pick up the points we need because those chances will get taken in enough games. I never said it would be pretty but we'll get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
                          We look a good side a lot of the time , we should not be ditching our style of play . We need to make better decisions in the final third and be more clinical . Mistakes at the back are also killing us , Dickie last night a prime example.
                          Agree it is down to the decision making. We need to play to our current players strengths and abilities then add the coaching to a "style" of play that Warbs thinks will be successful. That I think is where we go wrong on the pitch.

Comment

Any pub team can "dominate" the middle 75yds of a pitch - it's what you do in the first 20yds and last 20yds that matters. Does it occur to anyone that the opposition are content to let us have the ball pissfarting about with it making pretty shapes and patterns but causing them no danger whatsoever? What you might call dominating I call huffing and puffing.

The glaring fact is we are not very effective at playing for 90mins on a 115yd pitch. Playing well sporadically and stroking the ball about with no end product is utterly useless. Combine that with some brainless keystone cop defending and it adds up to this lot being the most disorganised and ineffective QPR X! for over a decade I reckon.

I should clarify this post is merely about challenging the notion that we're dominating games but still losing - I'm not commenting about our status, quality of player, budget, expectation etc etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                              Any pub team can "dominate" the middle 75yds of a pitch - it's what you do in the first 20yds and last 20yds that matters. Does it occur to anyone that the opposition are content to let us have the ball pissfarting about with it making pretty shapes and patterns but causing them no danger whatsoever? What you might call dominating I call huffing and puffing.

The glaring fact is we are not very effective at playing for 90mins on a 115yd pitch. Playing well sporadically and stroking the ball about with no end product is utterly useless. Combine that with some brainless keystone cop defending and it adds up to this lot being the most disorganised and ineffective QPR X! for over a decade I reckon.

I should clarify this post is merely about challenging the notion that we're dominating games but still losing - I'm not commenting about our status, quality of player, budget, expectation etc etc etc
                              I think we all agree we are coming up short in the final 3rd , anyone watching that 1st half last night would have to admit that was as dominant as a team could be . Our deficiencies are clearly , final ball , finishing and defensive mistakes . I hear fans calling for a change of style but I don’t see how this would improve those deficiencies. Dickies mistake last night was hardly over playing it was a poor pass made 30 yards from goal . The frustration with all this is we can see a good team emerging but we keep shooting our selves in the foot in crucial areas of the pitch .

Comment

Working...
                              X