Thoughts on Burnley WLM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post

You aren't wrong. Remember years ago being invited to an event. Realised when I got there that the entertainment was Bernard Manning. Almost walked out as all I really knew about him were the horror stories in the tabloids. Got worse as the table right in front of him was almost entirely black guys. Expected carnage. What I got was a fairly gentle mannered guy who poked fun at everything, and I mean everything, but in a way that made people laugh with him rather than some baying far right mob. At the end the black guys went up, shook his hand, had a chat and went away happy. That was in Brighton during the day and he had a gig in Blackpool that evening. He died a few months later. Behind the media vitriol was a bloke who got joy out of making people laugh.

If you wrote down what he said it would have made him look a monster. However you take any group of male friends and we spend most of the time taking the riss out of each other when we go out. If you wrote it down would make it look like we hated each other.

Time has moved on and the Manning type jokes do not have a place in modern comedy but what we have is a PC prison where people are afraid to say anything. That cannot be right. A lot of comedy is built on being irreverent. In my view it should stay that way and only be stamped on when it is intentionally abusive.
    And because of this the sterile BBC and Michael McIntyre are the norm. Personally I detest both with a passion. I cant even understand why "Mind your Language' in 70s is deemed racist, it was merely a language school with each character having a generic stereotype - so what! I'm Welsh and bald and have list count of the number of times I've been called a sheep shagger and slap ed, all in fun. Over the years o have recruited people from various nationalities and sexual orientation and as long as they an make my working life easier then they're hired. If this country was so bad it's amazing how many people are prepared to risk their lives getting into it. On the whole I think we're a very tolerant and accepting country.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
      don'y

Pretty much agree. Political correctness is becoming a disease that impedes rather than helps drive positive change. I watched Till Death do us Part as a kid with Alf Garnett as main character. For a while he had a black, gay home help called Marigold. It was comedy gold and now seems banned. Whilst it would not be made now due to some of the language used it is to me an important example of our social history. The actor Warren Mitchell gave an interview years later amazed some idiots thought of Alf as some kind of racist role model. I agreed with him in that it showcased racism existed and was an absurdity based on old prejudices and was something to be laughed at due to it's stupidity, words to that effect anyway. I got that from it even as a circa 7 year old! It taught me racism was wrong and dumb. This banning of God knows how many things, pulling down of statues creates wider divisions and entrenches both sides. There are other more positive things we can do than simply destroy or hide the past that can show how society has continued to evolve.
      True, about Alf Garnett. He was a racist and the show was to highlight how wrong his (and those with similar views) were.

All lives matter. As for the killing of George Floyd , yes it was very wrong no matter what he had done as a criminal and those police officers should all have been charged, as any gang members would have had they been involved in a murder. The police in the USA do tend to kill more blacks than whites and all those cases should be investigated and treated with equal measures, yet they don't and that is where the real problem lies. No matter what our skin colour is, ethnicity etc. we should all be treated equally.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

And because of this the sterile BBC and Michael McIntyre are the norm. Personally I detdoesn't meannest both with a passion. I cant even understand why "Mind your Language' in 70s is deemed racist, it was merely a language school with each character having a generic stereotype - so what! I'm Welsh and bald and have list count of the number of times I've been called a sheep shagger and slap ed, all in fun. Over the years o have recruited people from various nationalities and sexual orientation and as long as they an make my working life easier then they're hired. If this country was so bad it's amazing how many people are prepared to risk their lives getting into it. On the whole I think we're a very tolerant and accepting country.
        I agree, that we are a tolerant country , but there are some who are racist just as there are in almost all (if not all) other countries around the world.

Oh, and I really enjoyed watching Mind Your Language too, as well as Love Thy Neighbour, not that I shared the racist views & comments, but that I could laugh at how ridiculous they were.

Comment

Sign on the roadside:

'Girls must flash their t1ts if they're not racist'

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
            Sign on the roadside:

'Girls must flash their t1ts if they're not racist'
            This is a fantastic idea for women to show support for minority groups whilst celebrating their gender. Everyone wins!

Comment

As has already been posted.
              The love thy neighbour white fella was always bettered by his neighbour week in week out.
              But can see why it's not shown now.
              But what constitutes racism and offence today is a joke.

Comment

Dyslexic lives mattress!

Comment

Working...
                X