What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

Assume you were our manager or DOF. Assume that the sale of Freeman for around £5.5m pretty much secured compliance with P&S rules (formerly called FFP), but you found there was no room for new investments in players. Assume you were of the opinion we desperately needed 2-3 strikers and ideally at least one more wide player, if not two. What would you do: Hold on to all your players and go for free-bees or loans or see if you could raise necessary transfer funds by selling players in position where we are better covered?

I think this is the situation Warburton, Les and Hoos have been facing. They were hoping bids came in for Luongo (just one year left of the contract and high earner) or Leinstner (does not fit Warburtons possession based style of play). I think no bids were forthcoming for any of the two players and there were no signals anything would happen before the transfer deadline. In this situation WBA popped up and put in a bid of £1.5m for Furlong out of the blue. The club probably valued him a bit higher, but decided to go for it in fear of other opportunities disappearing and countered with a bid of £2.5m and struck a deal somewhere in between.

A transfer fee of £2m or thereabout allows us to spend £5m+ on new players if we sign them on long contracts. The reason is the way P&S works. The transfer fees we pay are not taken as costs in the year of the investment but amortized over the length of the players contract periods. A player bought for £3m now will only incur costs for S&P purposes of £1m the first year if he signs a three year contract. This way the club can turn the £2m or thereabout from Furlong into a much larger transfer budget to go towards the players we have to get on board to have a chance of securing survival this coming season. Without a transfer and salary budget we cannot secure proper strikers and wide players.

I see someone calls the sale of Furlong a joke. We could probably have got a bit more in an ideal situation, but I think this was a sensible decision, given the situation we are in. I think I am pretty sure I would have done the same if I was Warburton; not at least if I knew I could get hold of one of Chelsea's talented young right backs on loan as a direct replacement for Furlong. I think many of the comments expressed through message boards and social media are disrespectful to the club, unless those making the comments think it is much better to hold onto Furlong than to secure a couple of decent strikers.

Saying no to the offer for Furlong could have left us with no budget for striker and wide players and that would be irresponsible in my mind.

A great read and a sensible post until you put the bit about us spending 3-5 million on players lol sadly will be freebies and loans or the odd few hundred grand for alan judge it seems

Comment

Originally posted by furlong29 View Post
      A great read and a sensible post until you put the bit about us spending 3-5 million on players lol sadly will be freebies and loans or the odd few hundred grand for alan judge it seems
      I guess we will sign another 5-6 players including loans. This is probably Cameron, Sterling, Judge and 2-3 strikers. If we pay 8-10k a week in salaries this is £2-3m a year. Regarding transfer fees: I believe we will pay £0.6m+ for Judge. More importantly, I guess we will see some half decent fees paid for one or two strikers, but time will tell (one loan + two acquisitions)....

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
        Assume you were our manager or DOF. Assume that the sale of Freeman for around £5.5m pretty much secured compliance with P&S rules (formerly called FFP), but you found there was no room for new investments in players. Assume you were of the opinion we desperately needed 2-3 strikers and ideally at least one more wide player, if not two. What would you do: Hold on to all your players and go for free-bees or loans or see if you could raise necessary transfer funds by selling players in position where we are better covered?

I think this is the situation Warburton, Les and Hoos have been facing. They were hoping bids came in for Luongo (just one year left of the contract and high earner) or Leinstner (does not fit Warburtons possession based style of play). I think no bids were forthcoming for any of the two players and there were no signals anything would happen before the transfer deadline. In this situation WBA popped up and put in a bid of £1.5m for Furlong out of the blue. The club probably valued him a bit higher, but decided to go for it in fear of other opportunities disappearing and countered with a bid of £2.5m and struck a deal somewhere in between.

A transfer fee of £2m or thereabout allows us to spend £5m+ on new players if we sign them on long contracts. The reason is the way P&S works. The transfer fees we pay are not taken as costs in the year of the investment but amortized over the length of the players contract periods. A player bought for £3m now will only incur costs for S&P purposes of £1m the first year if he signs a three year contract. This way the club can turn the £2m or thereabout from Furlong into a much larger transfer budget to go towards the players we have to get on board to have a chance of securing survival this coming season. Without a transfer and salary budget we cannot secure proper strikers and wide players.

I see someone calls the sale of Furlong a joke. We could probably have got a bit more in an ideal situation, but I think this was a sensible decision, given the situation we are in. I think I am pretty sure I would have done the same if I was Warburton; not at least if I knew I could get hold of one of Chelsea's talented young right backs on loan as a direct replacement for Furlong. I think many of the comments expressed through message boards and social media are disrespectful to the club, unless those making the comments think it is much better to hold onto Furlong than to secure a couple of decent strikers.

Saying no to the offer for Furlong could have left us with no budget for striker and wide players and that would be irresponsible in my mind.
        Finally something actually worth reading on here. I thought that this board had turned into pointless rumours and malicious mud slinging.

​​​​​To respond to your original question; Yes I would do exactly the same thing, as the options appear to be very limited.

Comment

I would get in the Forest CB, Judge, the Chelsea RB and a couple of strikers.

I would fund this with the sale of the BFG and Luongo.

Comment

That probably a fairly realistic account of where the club is at right now and the hard decisions which have to be made. I don't really think we'll sign anyone on a higher transfer fee, if we were to take a bit of a punt, then personally I'd prefer us to do this on a striker, primarily because we desperately seem to need one, but also because there is limited value in loaning in a striker who might, if we are lucky, bang in some goals, only to see him return to his parent club to be sold on by them for an inflated fee, where is the long term gain in that? If we invest in an emerging young talen, we might, just might uncover or develop a gem, if that happened we would hopefully keep him, if not then the likelihood is that a young striker who gets 15 or so goals for us in a season would surely rocket in valuation.
            Last edited by Qpstranger; 24-07-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Get Adel back on loan dangle a carrot big bonus for promotion 1 season deal .
              He cut this league apart only a few years ago,get promotion we get the money problem over and Adel gets his money.and along the way a bit of enterta
              inmentFFP sorted and can then move forward with a clean bill of health

Comment

Oslo, why do you ave to spoil everyone's fun with sense?

A reasoned propzition simply is not good enough to satisfy yor 'avRAGE poster. You must understand football is all about throwing off your inhibitshuns and maoning and railings against them above who you suffer threwout the weak.

Get real, Les, Oose and fernadise are just no good..

Comment

Some sense in there, but really spend money to buy players, I don't think that is happening. And as for trthe Sterling deal, well that has fallen through. Wouldn't it have been better to wait until he had been signed before selling Furlong?

The same goes for selling Smith. Only now has a striker been signed on loan, but that still leaves the squad short on forwards. So I would have hung on a bit before praising them for their good work.

And yes, I would have held out for a bit more for Freeman and Furlong. If Sheff Utd and WBA were keen on signing them they would have upped their bids a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                  X