A question of crowds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question of crowds

Okay straight forward FACTS for you. No nonsense just the truth. No picking one random game out of an entire season to make a point but an actual look at the last 5 seasons in the Championship as a whole to make a direct comparison.

Just to show you where all the information has come from:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/stats?id=334&cc=5739

If you are into stats (like me) then it is a particularly good and up to date website.

Total Season Attendances
    QPR:
    2004/05: 369,283
    2005/06: 309,133
    2006/07: 297,537
    2007/08: 321,053
    2008/09: 324,078
    5 Season Total: 1,621,084

Total Season Attendances
    Burnley:
    2004/05: 286,713
    2005/06: 286,616
    2006/07: 274,999
    2007/08: 284,391
    2008/09: 300,886
    5 Season Total: 1,433,605

Attendance difference between QPR & Burnley since 2004/05: 187,479

187,479 fewer people went through the turnstiles at Burnley than QPR between 2004 and 2009. At say £20 a ticket that is £3.7m less revenue generated than us over 5 years. I could easily speculate that each of the 187,479 extra punters at QPR could have bought programmes, hot dogs, memorabilia etc etc all adding to the coffers but as I don't have an average spend I won't as I don't have the facts. But you know and I know that we do spend money at the ground and the chances are that the 187,479 will have given the club extra revenue.

187,479, which is an average of 37,495 fans a season fewer than us, which is 1,630 fans a match fewer through the turnstile than us.

Proof that a club with fewer fans than us meaning less money generated than us (with no doubt smaller sponsorship deals and poorer owners than us) can win promotion to the Premiership.

Good stats, but it is only one team of the various that have been promoted.

Burnley are the only team in the last 10 years to get promoted with those kind of crowds.
    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

sorry apart from Wigan

Who now have much bigger crowds, would like to know compariosn when they go up??
      THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

SirPie? How do the figures add up against poorly supported Blackburn?
        #standuptocancer
        #inyourfacecancer

Comment

This is turning into, "Apart from all that... what have the Romans done for us?".
          Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post

Burnley are the only team in the last 10 years to get promoted with those kind of crowds.
            i still dont get your point on this. our billionaire owners knew what size crowds we averaged. if they thought it wasnt enough, why buy the club at all? didnt they do the maths beforehand? once they bought the club, why increase prices so massively to push more people away? why talk about 4 year plans?

are you saying they didnt know how small our average gates were and now the owners have got their calculators out they are making us, the fans the scapegoats for this mess because not enough of us are turning up to watch that crap? nothing to do with an average success rate of signings being around 1:10? nothing to do with putting very average players on long contracts? or selling our best players? and all the other things we all agree they've messed up on.

when are they going to take responsibilty for this mess and stop shifting the cause/blame?

its now being proven that other clubs have done it on similar gates. the difference? they had owners willing to spend and had stability.

Comment

QPR:

Wigan:
              2004/05: 265,941

Wigan went up that season but had 104,000 fan fewer than us.
              Last edited by sirpiechucker; 25-01-2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Yes less money, less fans, less players and less managers but they still managed it.
                Queens Park Rangers
                NPower Champions 2010/2011

PREMIER LEAGUE 2011 - ETERNITY (Oh well got that wrong, we'll be back though)

Comment

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post
                  Okay straight forward FACTS for you. No nonsense just the truth. No picking one random game out of an entire season to make a point but an actual look at the last 5 seasons in the Championship as a whole to make a direct comparison.

Just to show you where all the information has come from:
                  http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/stats?id=334&cc=5739

If you are into stats (like me) then it is a particularly good and up to date website.

Total Season Attendances
                  QPR:
                  2005/06: 309,133
                  2006/07: 297,537
                  2007/08: 321,053
                  2008/09: 324,078
                  5 Season Total: 1,621,084

Total Season Attendances
                  Burnley:
                  2004/05: 286,713
                  2005/06: 286,616
                  2006/07: 274,999
                  2007/08: 284,391
                  2008/09: 300,886
                  5 Season Total: 1,433,605

Attendance difference between QPR & Burnley since 2004/05: 187,479

187,479 fewer people went through the turnstiles at Burnley than QPR between 2004 and 2009. At say £20 a ticket that is £3.7m less revenue generated than us over 5 years. I could easily speculate that each of the 187,479 extra punters at QPR could have bought programmes, hot dogs, memorabilia etc etc all adding to the coffers but as I don't have an average spend I won't as I don't have the facts. But you know and I know that we do spend money at the ground and the chances are that the 187,479 will have given the club extra revenue.

187,479, which is an average of 37,495 fans a season fewer than us, which is 1,630 fans a match fewer through the turnstile than us.

Proof that a club with fewer fans than us meaning less money generated than us (with no doubt smaller sponsorship deals and poorer owners than us) can win promotion to the Premiership.
                  Any one can use statistics to make a point .... 60% of people know that!!!

Comment

53% of all statistics are made up.
                    Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
                      53% of all statistics are made up.
                      27% of right handed people have two vowels in their first name

Comment

32.5% of all statistics are incorrect by up to 11.3%
                        oldhoop

The Bread Mans Blue and White Army

Comment

Hull?

Wigan?

Watford?

Palace?

Bristol City & Preston in play off finals?

Remember the crowds only increased exponentially when they went up.

Comment

sorry apart from Wigan

Who now have much bigger crowds, would like to know compariosn when they go up??

Pete, this is why I often say that if QPR think big enough to build a new ground, and the team goes up, they will attract more than 25,000.

It has happened at every club that did this. Bolton, Wigan, Charlton (improved The Valley), Reading, Stoke, Hull.

Even Burnley are pulling in more fans into their old stadium amd if they were to stay up and increase capacity, build a new ground I think they would start to attract more fans from the outskirts of the town (they already get about 20% of the population watching).

QPR can't realistically increase Loftus Road, so a new ground is the only viable option if the club want to attract 20,000+ crowds.

Comment

Sir Les, not sure Burnley spent fortunes, they bought well.

They had a "team" of players and a very good manager.

Yes, we have to addresss the team aspect and cut ties with the big time charlies and mercenaries

Comment

Working...
                              X