In defence of Williams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In defence of Williams...

...I don't care if we sign a player from Chelsea, Peterborough or Staines because as soon as he puts on that hooped shirt he's an R. An R that should be supported, and R that should be applauded, an R who should not get booed. I know that if you pay your money you are entitled to your opinion and on a message board that is absolutely fine but what use does it have at a football stadium?

Tommy Williams did not pass when he should have done but that was a long time ago. Did it really cost us? Nope we were promoted the following season. Will shouting at him when he next plays for us help him or the team? Nope. Is this season the best opportunity to regain Premiership status since our relegation from the Premiership? In my mind, absolutely. So what good would reminding one of OUR players that he messed up a long time ago do to help this situation?

We win as a team and we lose as a team. Would Furlong have definitely scored if he received the pass? Why didn't anyone score over the 90 minutes for us? Why didn't anyone close Campbell down? Why as a team were we not good enough over the season to rely on a one off match to get us promoted? Williams is not to blame for the teams failure. We were successfully promoted the following season so why still so much anger on this messageboard towards him? If he flops we have cover in Borrowdale so give the guy a chance. Don't ruin his confidence and potentially the whole teams by getting on his back for one mistake a few years ago. We've all made mistakes whilst at work but do any of us like to be reminded of them? Are they helpful in raising our standards?

For Tommy's sake and that of the team as a whole vent your anger on this board but not at the game.

Just in case, I get confused for an idiot.

I think he is a good signing.
    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

I also think he's a very good signing.With the pace we have in our team and tommys willingness to get forward quickly,I think we can catch a'lot of teams on the hop,true Arsenal style.

Comment

Originally posted by LOOPYHOOP View Post
        I also think he's a very good signing.With the pace we have in our team and tommys willingness to get forward quickly,I think we can catch a'lot of teams on the hop,true Arsenal style.
        Agree with that - but in order for it to work we need the centre backs to be solid - which means Gorkks and Connolly (god help us if it's Stewart and Hall) and we need Mahon to keep excelling as the holding midfielder.
        #standuptocancer
        #inyourfacecancer

Comment

I know a lot is always made of the pass he DIDN'T make, but I'll always remember the one he DID make -- the assist for Wild Thing's first wonder goal at Rushden -- inch perfect, probably the reason why it was such a good strike.
          Faurlin is my hero!!! Love him!!! #########

Comment

I clearly remember the following season after Cardiff, we played Posh at Loftus Road on Sky. (1-1... late Gallen equalizer)

TW came on as a sub for them, and was booed by quite a few QPR fans.

The camera was showing a close-up of his face as he came on. You could clearly see him say, "They're booing me?? F***ing hell!".

He looked really gutted about it at the time, and a bit shocked.
            So I don't think he'll be surprised if one or two idi0ts decide to have a pop at him for the Play-Off thing.

The nickname "Square it Tommy" is fine, just a bit of humour. I'm sure that wont bother him.

Comment

fair point the past is a sore place to linger...but Tommy if you read this and you find yourself in a similar position at Wembley against Cardiff in May...FFS pass it !

Comment

players make mistakes, we all do
                his was following a great run, we had furs and gallen waiting but he went for glory and hit the side netting
                then we lose to a late goal, error by carlisle , another fave!!??
                it was a high profile miss..he was a good player..him and kelly were excellent.

i find it an astonishing signing based on the history, he wasn't given grief once, it has been every time..now we are to applaud and love him??
                there are numerous full backs we could go for...

one mistake, one error and he cops it , fact.
                and who put him in that position?

Comment

Originally posted by themodfather View Post

i find it an astonishing signing based on the history, he wasn't given grief once, it has been every time..now we are to applaud and love him??
                  there are numerous full backs we could go for...

one mistake, one error and he cops it , fact.
                  and who put him in that position?
                  Erm..... yes.
                  Because he's pulling on a QPR shirt for the first time since then, rather than a Peterborough shirt. It's really that simple.

Not sure about "love him"!!, but support and applaud him, yes.

Strange argument to be having, but there you go.

Comment

I always thought Thompson was more to blame for heading over when it was easier to score, Williams made his own oppurtunity as was entitled to take it.

I for one will give TW a rousing welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Pal View Post
                      I always thought Thompson was more to blame for heading over when it was easier to score, Williams made his own oppurtunity as was entitled to take it.

I for one will give TW a rousing welcome
                      BRAVO!!!

Who wouldn't want to take that shot on when they worked the opening?
                      Your mum would love me...

Comment

Well done Sir Pie...... as usual, the voice of reason!

Comment

Working...
                        X