Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
Massimo Luongo is the best midfielder in the championship
Collapse
X
-
"What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

-
Comment
-
Not having that mate.
Decent quality midfield enforcers are tough to find. In my opinion, Scowen is the first good player of that ilk we've had since Shaun Derry.
Joey Barton could have played that role well too I think, but he was too busy trying to be David Beckham.Comment
-
Creative players are more immediately valued by clubs because their role is easily quantified by the layman: Does he score? Does he assist? If he does, he's worth a lot.
CDM's are much harder to truly value and end up being cheaper."What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment
-
Valued lower - yes. Easier to find - definitely not in my opinion.Comment
-
Defensive midfielders definitely harder to find that's why all the clubs are looking for them, and although not valued more in cash terms but definitely in playing terms, and believe me Luongo's & Freemans good start wouldn't have been anywhere near as good if it wasn't for the job Scowen does defensively, he's doing all the hard and unnoticed work, which allows the other 2 to go and play, their game further up the pitch, if one had to be missing one of them , I'd rather lose Luongo than Scowen there's cover for Luongo but not descent cover for Scowen
But sadly if you wear rose tinted glasses you don't see other than what you want to,Comment
-
This is how I see it too mate.Defensive midfielders definitely harder to find that's why all the clubs are looking for them, and although not valued more in cash terms but definitely in playing terms, and believe me Luongo's & Freemans good start wouldn't have been anywhere near as good if it wasn't for the job Scowen does defensively, he's doing all the hard and unnoticed work, which allows the other 2 to go and play, their game further up the pitch, if one had to be missing one of them , I'd rather lose Luongo than Scowen there's cover for Luongo but not descent cover for Scowen
But sadly if you wear rose tinted glasses you don't see other than what you want to,
Not taking anything away from Luongo, he looks twice the player this season that he ever has for us before. But you certainly cannot downplay the importance of having a decent defensive midfielder in the team, to allow Luongo and Freeman to play their natural, attacking game.Comment
-
Comment
-
Nail on head mate.
The fact that a player with as limited ability as Karl Henry has made a living for so long on the top 2 divisions is testament to how few decent players there are available for that role.Comment
-
If he's so good why is he playing for us? We all have favourite players at Rangers and I often read smithies best GK outside the prem, Hall is a top CB, Luongo best in the league, but no one has come in for them and we sell at the merest enquiry. I'll agree they are very good players and opinions and stats hide many things but cold hard cash is the best yardstick and we ain't fighting clubs away from our door..Comment
-
How well did Luongo do on Saturday back in his deeper role without Scowen in the side ?
Best player on the pitch or anonymous ?
Genuine question, not digging him out.Comment
-
Read loads on twitter during the match when we kept going in front saying hes an absolute joy to watch and a majestic player etc.
Need nas to stat us up.Comment
-
Luongo was probably our best player over the 90. Put in some superb tackles. Wheeler and Lua Lua were excellent in the first half. 2nd half Wheeler faded; Lua Lua continued well but was being constantly hacked down, until being forced off through injury. He was clearly targeted as our main attacking threat.Comment
Comment