Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Club & Fan Group Disagreement re Stan Bowles Benefit - Game vs Bournemouth Jul 29th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stanley View Post
    I dont think you can assume that's a given Mel (as pointed out earlier). And if he isn't and the club have been profiting from his image then it kind of weakens the rest of your argument.
    Anything with his name on it would normally be copyrighted (I believe copyrights now last 50-60 years).

Comment

• Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
      Anything with his name on it would normally be copyrighted (I believe copyrights now last 50-60 years).
      You would so hope, but don't think you can't take that as a given. Neither can you assume that all players from the 70's owned their own copyrights and image rights like they all do today. Especially one like Stan who was such a care-free maverick. I doubt he even had an agent.

As an earlier poster said:
      Originally posted by RobertoQPR View Post
      Doubt it. That's a modern day thing started by Beckham. George Best was probably the only early one!

Comment

• Also, laws in most countries prevent them from using your likeness for promoting a business or product without your permission. This is called the Personality Rights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per...). Again, this exists in one form or another internationally.

Pretty sure it comes under this heading and if they asked permission, pretty sure they would have to pay something.

Comment

Also, laws in most countries prevent them from using your likeness for promoting a business or product without your permission. This is called the Personality Rights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per...). Again, this exists in one form or another internationally.

Pretty sure it comes under this heading and if they asked permission, pretty sure they would have to pay something.
          Yes, that's how it should be but again we can ultimately only speculate. Only the club and whoever's looking after Stan's interests know the actual situation. For example you can't say for certain that Stan owns his image rights.

I edited my post above too.

Comment

• To be fair probably sold his image rights to a bookie...
            The early bird catches the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese....

Comment

I'm sorry (and you will say this is because I'm American but I'm 100% British) but I totally agree with Hoos. Stan Bowles was a good player and the Club have already recognized this by giving him a Stan Bowles day and he would legally be receiving money from any merchandise which bears his name.

I am sure he made a good living from the Club.

It is unfortunate that he is suffering from such a disease. I am not sure what money can do to help this.

However after he retired he chose to spend his money on drink, gambling and womanizing which is why he is in the situation he is today, I don't think this is a good example to our youngsters. Also it sets a bad example to the young players coming to the Club, The message being sent out by the Club IMO to our young players is your earning a good wage, we don't care how you spend it because we will step in and help out in the end.

Also I believe there is more to this story than meets the eye

If the fans are so upset about it contact the club and tell them you would come to the match at 10 pounds a ticket. If 10-15,000 supporters pledge to come, maybe the Club will change their mind.
              Very Cold.
              C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

• The gambling is also an illness in it's own right but I don't see him wasting it on that so shouldn't be used as a reason. I think the money would go to his daughter who I'd imagine desperately needs it for care
                I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

• Main point for me is why club let all these people out so much effort into organizing, only to be told at end that club won't pay a penny

Comment

• Originally posted by upperloft View Post
                    Very Cold.
                    Thought It was just me thinking that.

As regards to money not helping him, surely it would give him care he needs and help his daughter out?

My old man was in a ward recently with Alzheimer's suffererers and they are being lost in the system as hospital isn't suitable and nor is being at home.

Comment

• Originally posted by shaggy24 View Post
                      Totally agree im more concerned that the dross served ip is deemed to be worth the ticket fees. The buzz of sat 3pm has gone and a chore i own my own business if i ran it so lousy id have no customers which is where tf is taking us.
                      spot on
                      i don't get the buzz of going down there anymore and have been going for 50 years, a few beers with me mates i enjoy, the football comes secondary.

Comment

I'm sorry (and you will say this is because I'm American but I'm 100% British) but I totally agree with Hoos. Stan Bowles was a good player and the Club have already recognized this by giving him a Stan Bowles day and he would legally be receiving money from any merchandise which bears his name.

I am sure he made a good living from the Club.

It is unfortunate that he is suffering from such a disease. I am not sure what money can do to help this.

However after he retired he chose to spend his money on drink, gambling and womanizing which is why he is in the situation he is today, I don't think this is a good example to our youngsters. Also it sets a bad example to the young players coming to the Club, The message being sent out by the Club IMO to our young players is your earning a good wage, we don't care how you spend it because we will step in and help out in the end.

Also I believe there is more to this story than meets the eye

If the fans are so upset about it contact the club and tell them you would come to the match at 10 pounds a ticket. If 10-15,000 supporters pledge to come, maybe the Club will change their mind.
                        Agree that there is perhaps more to this story than meets they eye. If that is true then it's still a balls up by the club because the media and social media have presented the story in a way that makes Lee Hoos look like an absolute ar#ehole.

As for the rest of what you've written, sorry but I disagree with all of it.

Ok, so Stan is no saint and has made some pretty self destructive life choices since retiring from the game but it's his life to do as he chooses. What you need to remember however is that guys from Stan's era played in a much harsher environment for significantly less rewards than the spoilt, overpaid muppets we are cheering on today. Football was a mans sport back then and player power didn't exist. Stan would turn out week in, week out, get kicked up in the air and get paid not a lot more than the fans watching him for the privilege. Secondly, he has done more for this club than anyone I've seen play in my 20 odd years of watching Rangers and he deserves our support until the day he dies!
                        Last edited by Tarbie; 12-01-2017, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Massive own goal by the club and yet another great bit of pr for the fernandes era.

Comment

• Originally posted by upperloft View Post
                            Very Cold.
                            Very. I'd expect nothing less tbh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                              Agree that there is perhaps more to this story than meets they eye. If that is true then it's still a balls up by the club because the media and social media have presented the story in a way that makes Lee Hoos look like an absolute ar#ehole.

As for the rest of what you've written, sorry but I disagree with all of it.

Ok, so Stan is no saint and has made some pretty self destructive life choices since retiring from the game but it's his life to do as he chooses. What you need to remember however is that guys from Stan's era played in a much harsher environment for significantly less rewards than the spoilt, overpaid muppets we are cheering on today. Football was a mans sport back then and player power didn't exist. Stan would turn out week in, week out, get kicked up in the air and get paid not a lot more than the fans watching him for the privilege. Secondly, he has done more for this club than anyone I've seen play in my 20 odd years of watching Rangers and he deserves our support until the day he dies!
                              Spot on pal.

Comment

• I'm sure this will be sorted soon enough. Bet it's not half what its being made out to be. Far as I know Stan's daughter looks after his cash so would be no worries about him wasting it. I'd be very very surprised if he does not receive money for merch sold with his likeness.

Comment

Working...
                                X