No Chery, no Luongo. Three points.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
    Again, he's being played as a deep midfielder.
    What like Paul Scholes? Who I remember scoring and assisting a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
      Ok then why is Chery not doing the business if he's playing that role
      Chery hasn't been playing well, I said that already. As much as I like him, he's been out of form since the Fulham game and needs to just stick to being in the hole instead of running around the whole pitch.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
        Paul Scholes was famously good at winning the ball back wasn't he? Never mistimed tackles, did he?
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Again, he's being played as a deep midfielder, the primary role belongs to those in front of him. Chery, the wingers and the strikers are the ones who the burden of goalscoring and assisting should fall on, but because they aren't doing that, people will scapegoat everyone else and unfortunately, Mass is a target for scapegoating.
          But we look shaky defensively too when he plays. Whys that?

Comment

Makelele, Alli and Scholes in the same sentence as Luongo. Let's be honest now.. he plays like none of them. A Million miles away.
            C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

You are talking about two different players. Two players who have different styles and are expected to do different things. You can't seriously be comparing Luongo and Alli as players? Dele Alli made 1 tackle, didn't win anything in the air and didn't intercept anything. Meanwhile, Luongo averages 3.7 tackles per game, 1.1 interceptions per game and 2.7 aerial duel wins per game. He gives us a chance to win by doing his job.

Dele Allie is an attacking midfielder who just needs to have the final touch in a move to do something, but doesn't get involved in the defensive side of the game.

Luongo is being used as a defensive midfielder who needs to win the ball back and either run with the ball or play it to one of the front 4 to do the job.

Once again, I use the makelele comparison, Makelele almost never played a forward ball, never looked to get into the box, never looked to do that stuff, but he won his teams matches by screening the defense. How foolish would you look using the comparison above with Alli to Makelele?
              I think the point weare is trying to make is that if you looked at alli's stats, he would be given an average mark but he's the match winnner along with Kane. Stats can help but in my view are misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post
                I think the point weare is trying to make is that if you looked at alli's stats, he would be given an average mark but he's the match winnner along with Kane. Stats can help but in my view are misleading.
                Statistically, his rating according to whoscored.com was 8.4. 2 Goals, hit the post once and took 4 shots in total. He's got a high score because he is playing an attacking role.

Luongo's best game for us was an 8.8 rating against Fulham, No Goals, no assists, 6 Dribbles, 6 Aerial Duels won, 6 Tackles Made, 1 interception.

They got similar scores because they influenced the game the way their positions require them to.

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post
                  But we look shaky defensively too when he plays. Whys that?
                  The team looks shaky defensively but we lost 6 - 0 at home when Luongo didn't play. In fact, 2 of our 3 worst defensive performances this season were without Luongo in the team.

With Luongo, we concede 1.27 goals a game on average. Without him, 2.4 goals a game conceded.

Comment

Lets please have no more mention of makele with Luongo or how Mas does plenty much better than Delli Ali a bloke who he isn't fit to lace his boots.

I really hope Mas comes on an becomes a prem player (for us) as he does have a nice touch and a few tricks but he has literally miles to go before that happens. Has potential, but has he the heart? I'm not too sure :(

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                      Bit of a silly comparison mate, Scholes/Luongo. Might have played in the same position but Scholes was always infinitely better than Luongo is now. That's like comparing Sylla to Ibrahimovic
                      Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                      Pawel Wszolek - 6
                      Luke Freeman - 6
                      Matt Smith - 6
                      Ebere Eze - 4
                      Joel Lynch - 3
                      Tomer Hemed - 3
                      Toni Leistner - 2
                      Massimo Luongo- 2
                      Angel Rangel - 2
                      Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                      Geoff Cameron - 1
                      Aramide Oteh - 1
                      Jake Bidwell - 1
                      Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                        Whatever he is he's been pure and utter pants for us up to now. Caulker has scored more goals than him. Me, sitting in the Ellerslie, have scored the same as him.
                        Exactly right. It doesnt matter how he has played else where for club or country, or where people think he should be playing, or meaningless stats. Most of us judge him on his performances for QPR, which apart from a couple of half decent games have been pretty poor. Getting sick of saying it....... NOT GOOD ENOUGH AT THIS LEVEL..... FACT!

Comment

Could someone please tell me when Luongo influenced a game?

Comment

you should all remember not to argue with Nas. He's always right.

Comment

Statistically, his rating according to whoscored.com was 8.4. 2 Goals, hit the post once and took 4 shots in total. He's got a high score because he is playing an attacking role.

Luongo's best game for us was an 8.8 rating against Fulham, No Goals, no assists, 6 Dribbles, 6 Aerial Duels won, 6 Tackles Made, 1 interception.

They got similar scores because they influenced the game the way their positions require them to.
                              See that contribution over the space of 90mins don't seem an awful lot and I'm a fan he must have done more in the game then that

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                                See that contribution over the space of 90mins don't seem an awful lot and I'm a fan he must have done more in the game then that
                                That contribution in a game is pretty immense, considering that if you look at the average, in the league, the highest average for each of those in that position is:

Tackles - 3.76 successful tackles per game by Massimo Luongo

Interceptions - 2.75 interceptions per game by Alexander Tettey

Dribbling - 1.65 successful dribbles per game by Massimo Luongo

Aerial Duels - 5 aerial duels won by Mile Jedinak

Consider Jedinak's size when looking at that. For me, I know what I want from Luongo and maybe other people want different things from Luongo but imo, Luongo wouldn't be getting this level of sh it from fans if the rest of the attacking side of the team was doing their job better. He does have weaknesses in that he can lose the ball when he's bullied off of it but there aren't perfect players and he simply needs to work on his strength.

Everyone is always gonna want more from their players, but to put the burden of goalscoring/assists on Luongo is only happening because the players who are supposed to step up in that way aren't doing it.

People thinking that yesterday was won because Luongo wasn't in the side is ludicrous, it's simply because the players ahead of the position he would play actually did their job.

Look at yesterday for example. Sandro and Manning in CM, neither one took a shot, Sandro made 2 successful dribbles, manning made one, Sandro won 1 aerial duel, manning won 2, Sandro had 70% pass accuracy, manning had 62%. But Sandro performed really well primarily because he was set in a defensive role and did that job, making 6 successful tackles and 1 interception, while Manning made 3 successful tackles and 1 interception.

Over 90 minutes, players tend not to hold the ball for more than 4 or 5 minutes total if they're lucky. There isn't much time to stamp your mark. I mean, the best tackler in the prem makes 4.8 tackles per game and only 7 players made more than 3 tackles per game. Generally, no action on a football pitch is performed successfully more than 4 times a game and only the best at any level reach those values.

Comment

Working...
                                X