No announcement yet.

DoF - Elephant in the room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbelievable that some are actually having a pop at Les Ferdinand right now.

Polter and Chery considered "flops" and Les is an idiot for signing them? We're making a profit on the pair of them! If you don't rate them then surely you should be delighted we've made money on them?

Imagine you got given 2 jumpers for xmas. You hate them both and sell on ebay for double the price...then still moan that the person who got them for you was a clown.

What makes me laugh is how many have been shouting and moaning that they want the QPR of old. The QPR than took unknown lower league players, developed them, then sold on for a profit. Is this not exactly what we've done? Is this not exactly what we are doing as a club??

We had Chery and Polter for 1 full season. Chery arguably got worse whilst Polter slightly improved and we've sold the pair for almost twice as much as we got them for initially...and yet some are manking and moaning and having a pop at Les.

Jesus Christ I despair at times with some of this clubs fan base I really do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cjskinz View Post
      You watched Chery on youtube in a slower more open league?

Yes agree Luongo may have been overpriced when we bought him but I think he'll come good when he gets a decent team around him.

Really? Smithies should go for minimum £5m and Hall we are basically guaranteed a big profit on.

So what? I don't even really know how to answer that. We were always doomed no matter how much we spent in the PL. Now we are in the Championship where we should be, and trying to do things that doesn't make the club look like a complete joke and make natural rather than forced progress.

Well the main thing is Les and Hoos are trying to stop this FFP stuff. Doesn't make Les a bad DoF because he has been given a remit in which he has to work within and some signings haven't worked, and some that haven't worked out we've made a profit on rather than HUGE losses as before. Some signings have worked out. I would hope that given time he would be able to see what is a good buy and what isn't (experience).
      Smithies £5m, Hall £3m.

To be fair, our summer business was a huge improvement on the season before, so maybe you're correct in that he's improving with time in the job.

However, imo only Smithies and Hall have been good signings in the 15/16 season, who cost £1.8m for the pair, meaning we spent a further £13.7m on players who just haven't cut it. Although we have got some of that back granted, but that's not the point. We signed 16 players that season and most will agree Smithies and Hall are the only two who have been fully successful. A few more split opinion but the majority are woeful.

As I said though, the last window was much improved so maybe, just maybe we're heading in the right direction. I guess this window will tell us that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattyqpr View Post
        Smithies £5m, Hall £3m.

To be fair, our summer business was a huge improvement on the season before, so maybe you're correct in that he's improving with time in the job.

However, imo only Smithies and Hall have been good signings in the 15/16 season, who cost £1.8m for the pair, meaning we spent a further £13.7m on players who just haven't cut it. Although we have got some of that back granted, but that's not the point. We signed 16 players that season and most will agree Smithies and Hall are the only two who have been fully successful. A few more split opinion but the majority are woeful.

As I said though, the last window was much improved so maybe, just maybe we're heading in the right direction. I guess this window will tell us that.
        Hopefully we're heading in the right direction.

And to be fair to some of the other players he's signed that have been woeful, they can only get better? I'm trying to be positive this year, if it hasn't been noticed
        My old man never said be a Chelsea fan...

Comment

• Originally posted by EssexR View Post
          Unbelievable that some are actually having a pop at Les Ferdinand right now.

Polter and Chery considered "flops" and Les is an idiot for signing them? We're making a profit on the pair of them! If you don't rate them then surely you should be delighted we've made money on them?

Imagine you got given 2 jumpers for xmas. You hate them both and sell on ebay for double the price...then still moan that the person who got them for you was a clown.

What makes me laugh is how many have been shouting and moaning that they want the QPR of old. The QPR than took unknown lower league players, developed them, then sold on for a profit. Is this not exactly what we've done? Is this not exactly what we are doing as a club??

We had Chery and Polter for 1 full season. Chery arguably got worse whilst Polter slightly improved and we've sold the pair for almost twice as much as we got them for initially...and yet some are manking and moaning and having a pop at Les.

Jesus Christ I despair at times with some of this clubs fan base I really do.
          Nowhere near double but still good business nonetheless

Comment

• Originally posted by Cjskinz View Post
            Hopefully we're heading in the right direction.

And to be fair to some of the other players he's signed that have been woeful, they can only get better? I'm trying to be positive this year, if it hasn't been noticed
            If we repeat the summer window in this one and next summer, then we'll be in good shape come August. It's a big job imo though as we still have a lot of players to shift.

I liked what Ollie said about Doughty today though. Why has he been out on loan? Played a lot of games, so if you don't want him, get rid, not loan. No nonsense from Ollie, exactly how it should be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattyqpr View Post
              If we repeat the summer window in this one and next summer, then we'll be in good shape come August. It's a big job imo though as we still have a lot of players to shift.

I liked what Ollie said about Doughty today though. Why has he been out on loan? Played a lot of games, so if you don't want him, get rid, not loan. No nonsense from Ollie, exactly how it should be.
              Quite a few managers must have thought he isn't good enough. Hopefully they were wrong. He's been playing very well for Swindon form what i've seen. Furlong coming back would mean no more Ned at RB as well (I'm a fan on Ned but he isn't a RB)

Basically just think Les gets unnecessary stick on this message board.

*****Please everyone in future aim all Ferdinand related abuse at Anton*****
              My old man never said be a Chelsea fan...

Comment

• Originally posted by Fozzieboy View Post
                I find it shocking how personal people get over this stuff.... Maybe Les Ferdinand isn't the best DOF(Not that I agree with that) but why start the name calling? I think people have a right to question some of the decisions but it really does feel his heart is in the right place and it does feel like a long term plan.
                I hear things like "his heart is in the right place" way too much about people at the club these days. It roughly translates to "he's not very good but we like him and he tries hard".

Is it so wrong that the fans would actually like capable people in the key roles at the club for once?

I've said it a few times, I don't crave Premier League football or big money transfers being made. I honestly don't care what league we're in, I'd just like to see us being run well. I honestly don't think we've been a run well club since before Chris Wright. It's depressing!

Comment

I think the challenge is fans don't fully understand the role he is playing, and actually I think changing him will mean losing all the learning we have had. IT all depends on what the processes of his role... Does he say to a Manager, I want you to buy players you can grow and we can make a future profit from? If So Chery and Polter will do this? So my guess is when JFH said I want ### Player... Ferdinand simply looked at the above and decided yes or no ! So hence him not signing Defoe for Redknapp(if rumours are true). I do question a number of signings but I guess in the current approach it was always going to take a couple of seasons and some wins and loses.
                  I remember this working in the past, Remember when we brought Tilson and Peacock!! One worked one never. So far I can see some good wins so far... Lynch, Bidwell, Smithie and possible more to come....

Sadly the question is are the fans of QPR willing to wait two years and watch some boring football
                  Whilst we don't know his role exactly, we do know that his managerial/ head coach appoints are failures or are failing, and we also can see that most of his signings are duds.
                  As for Defoe, he could have kept QPR up which would have been worth 10 tines his transfer package.

Going back to Tilson and Peacock, both were a success because they stopped the rot of 9 successive defeats and kept QPR up.
                  Tilson was later sold at a slight loss, but staying up more than compensated for that.
                  No excuses for Ferdinand, he is a dud and not helping the club.

I largely blame him for the Premiership relegation for
                  1) not signing Defoe
                  2) not signing anyone else
                  3) appointing the PE teacher.

I also hold him responsible for not winning promotion because of his transfer dealings and as 3) above then appointing JFH instead of Jokanovic or Warnock.

As they are cost cutting perhaps they can save on his wages by sacking him and not appointing another DoF.

Comment

• Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                    Whilst we don't know his role exactly, we do know that his managerial/ head coach appoints are failures or are failing, and we also can see that most of his signings are duds.
                    As for Defoe, he could have kept QPR up which would have been worth 10 tines his transfer package.

Going back to Tilson and Peacock, both were a success because they stopped the rot of 9 successive defeats and kept QPR up.
                    Tilson was later sold at a slight loss, but staying up more than compensated for that.
                    No excuses for Ferdinand, he is a dud and not helping the club.

I largely blame him for the Premiership relegation for
                    1) not signing Defoe
                    2) not signing anyone else
                    3) appointing the PE teacher.

I also hold him responsible for not winning promotion because of his transfer dealings and as 3) above then appointing JFH instead of Jokanovic or Warnock

As they are cost cutting perhaps they can save on his wages by sacking him and not appointing another DoF.
                    On 4 February 2015, Ferdinand became Director of Football at Queens Park Rangers so how was he responsible for not signing Defoe in the previous January or anybody else for that matter. Ramsey was appointed caretaker on 3 February (with Ferdinand as assistant for a short time) and manager on 12th. I can't imagine in the short time he was DOF he had a great deal of input into the appointment of Ramsey. I feel sure Tony decided to appoint Ramsey after I believe we won our first away game of the season (or something like that). Had that not happened he would have appointed Clement at the end of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                      Legend is not part of the job description, sentiment is an unsound basis for making quality business decisions, especially in sport. Les is part of the problem when it comes to gaffer recruitment.
                      He may be a legend as a player (still one of mine), but as a DoF he sucks imo.
                      Player recruitment is largely poor. Smithies Hall Chery Polter and maybe one, two or three more may prove to have been good.
                      However, his appointments for head coach/manager have been dreadful and extremely costly to the club. We could be on the way to 10 defeats in 13 and no transfer window we know it and the Board decide to act. I hope I am wrong, but so far the points in my 2015 thread ' Wake up and Smell the Coffee' are not far off.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
                        On 4 February 2015, Ferdinand became Director of Football at Queens Park Rangers so how was he responsible for not signing Defoe in the previous January or anybody else for that matter. Ramsey was appointed caretaker on 3 February (with Ferdinand as assistant for a short time) and manager on 12th. I can't imagine in the short time he was DOF he had a great deal of input into the appointment of Ramsey. I feel sure Tony decided to appoint Ramsey after I believe we won our first away game of the season (or something like that). Had that not happened he would have appointed Clement at the end of the season.
                        He was at the club as an advisor to Fernandes before that. After the 2-0 loss at West Ham in October 2014

What's more is he recruited Ramsey shortly afterwards.

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/...ning_1_3961367
                        Last edited by stanistheman; 10-01-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                          Nah..whatever he'd have scored, Caulker would have helped to concede at the back

Comment

• Originally posted by Shania View Post
                            How many new threads on Ferdinand do we need? Why not merge them?
                            Ask and ye shall receive........sometimes

Comment

• Thanks, Stanley. Are you WATRB`s own DOF?
                              QPR
                              Best team in the world
                              Sort of

Comment

I find it shocking how personal people get over this stuff.... Maybe Les Ferdinand isn't the best DOF(Not that I agree with that) but why start the name calling? I think people have a right to question some of the decisions but it really does feel his heart is in the right place and it does feel like a long term plan.
                                Agreed, I´m not sure what´s going on atm. It´s cringeworthy..
                                QPR
                                Best team in the world
                                Sort of

Comment

Working...
                                X