No announcement yet.

Just Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was, along with many others getting really annoyed whenever he lost the ball cheaply and people wanted him subbed but I know when it came down to it, we were happy when he scored and did his job well and we were supporting him when he stepped up for a Pen.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by West London is Rss View Post
      Nah Nasser, when Charlie arrived he couldn't hold a thing up there - Bit like Connor now. He improved and that part of his game got better, just like I hope Connor's will.

I fail to see why you have any issue with a guy who has only just turned up, hasn't had a full pre-season and has scored in both appearances? Why so harsh, don't understand it.

I think you should stick to stats Nasser because what you're saying doesn't add up again.

You want him to not chase the ball down, when JFH's philosophy is the striker is the first defender and to press from the front? I mean 'playing to the crowd chasing'. What the bl00dy hell is that hahaha! Would you have Polter not do it as well??!!

Timing of the runs etc. - Give the guy a ####in chance will ya!! You don't become the finished article overnight!

You also say he needs to 'make the runs earlier', half the time last night the ball was either pumped in around his neck, like he was 6''3 Polter, or pumped over the top aimlessly. When balls are coming at him like that, it's nothing to do with him, it's the service.

I don't think many fans (if any) will be with you at all on your views to be honest...

He didn't pull up any trees last night make no mistake, but your issues with a guy who is at least trying, run too deep for me.
      You seem to think he was a summer signing... He's been here 8 months now and he's been getting coaching for 8 months from two of the top strikers in premier league history. Polter has improved ridiculously since they've come in, Conor hasn't. As I said, I hope he succeeds, but I don't think he will on what i've seen in the last 8 months.. not overnight like you put it.

Also, Polter does indeed chase the keeper down but Polter also closes down extremely intelligently when he's not chasing the keeper. If he loses the ball, he always goes to win it back. Conor just stood there whenever he plays a poor pass or took a bad touch. Polter closes down the defenders at the right times, Conor doesn't. Playing to the crowd chasing is what Mackie would do, it's headless chicken running and it does nothing when you're trying to win the ball back other than make you look like you're trying. Since you've played at such an esteemed level, you should know that not all closing down is useful. When the passes weren't great to Conor yesterday, he didn't try and make something out of them. Polter does.

As for making the runs earlier, I'm talking about when the ball is played in from wide, his reactions are really not good enough at this point, but I hope this improves.

I don't ask for fans to "be with me" on anything, if I did, I wouldn't use stats and frankly, if others did, this place would be a darn sight more boring and I'm not about to be the reason for that. I don't think CW is as good as he should be and he's not had overnight to prove it to me, he's had 8 months and he's scored 2 goals in total, one in a non competitive game. He's had 16 competitive appearances and I've said it before, but I'll say it again anyway, Polter scored a class goal on his second competitive match for a new club in a new country and still didn't get another start until the 19th of december, where he got an assist, leading into a pretty good run. So you talk about someone who hadn't been given the time to prove himself, that's Polter, not CW.

CW will get chances off the bench at best and that's where he will need to impress, just like Polter did and many others who've impressed for their clubs over the years. If he doesn't, it's a shame but it's his own fault. If he does, then good for us as a club, because we have another striker we can rely on.

And you think I've got issues with him, I said before the season started that he was capable of getting 10 league goals and I damn sure hope I'm right.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Don't think things will work out for Washington, seems like most of the fans have made up there mind. Still think he needs a run of games, that's starting them as well. Not just 10-15 mins here and there. We cannot expect Polter to do it all himself and some of the games I saw him play last season were awful but he seemed to have turned a corner. Give Washington till Xmas and see how he gets on. Find it funny how certain players like Hoilett, Fer, Phillips were given support after some of there shockers. Just give the guy a chance at least he is trying.
        C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

Right, although I listened to the game on the radio last night, given that there are such contrasting opinions about the game on here, I thought I would watch the entire 120 minutes on QPR Player (you're welcome) so I could judge for myself. I even reviewed certain parts, because of course you don't get replays on Player. So here are my (relatively) objective opinions:

First up, El Khayati: I've read some absolute nonsense in this thread that he was poor and even that he was showboating. Not only did this not happen once, he was possibly our best player over the 120 minutes. He showed fantastic touches, great linking play, and was playing in superb crosses right up to the end. His fantastic one-two with Chery, then burst down the left, beating two Swindon players to cross beautifully for Conor Washington's flick and Ngbakoto's goal was brilliant. He did not shirk any tackles, he was consistently good, and of course, he scored the winning penalty. Possibly my MOTM.

Okay, the other player of contention, Conor Washington. I have to agree with Nasser and Hal here. IMO he's just not up to it at this level. He doesn't seem to have the quickness of thought - in a football sense - and is often a fraction behind the play or the move. He showed a few good touches, his flick on for the first and of course being in the right place to score, but I just can't see him making it. He's also so one-footed, it limits him, and he didn't take on and beat a player once in the entire game. Contrast with Polter who caused problems for Swindon from the moment he came on, and made that tremendous burst and pass for Chery to flick for CW to score. He may improve slightly of course, but I watched all his games for NI in the Euros and I was not impressed then. He has no finesse and is too small to be a target man, especially when the lone striker.

My other contender for MOTM would be Jordan Cousins. I really like this player. Great vision, tenacity, passing and linking play and breaks up opposition attacks. A great buy IMO.

Our newest acquisition, Yeni Ngbakoto, shows fantastic promise. Bearing in mind this was his first showing for us and in a new country to boot, he was excellent. Powerful, fast, great crosses and can beat players at will, I am very excited by him.

Unfortunately Shodipo didn't follow on from his last two outings, where he was excellent on the left, and was a bit lacklustre, but still got in some good crosses. A definite improvement for the team and maybe he was a bit tired from such a recent step up.

The defence was a bit shambolic at times, probably because they weren't used to playing together, although individually they were good in the main. Furlong strong and fast, Lynch powerful and should have scored first half with a great header that almost went in off the crossbar (where Conor Washington probably should have put it away from the rebound). Perch is certainly not up to Bidwell's standard at LB and Caulker and Hall are definitely our best centre back pairing. Henry was generally efficient and tidy and played some good and one great passes. Ingram was excellent in goal apart from that moment when he tried to play it past their striker. Two penalty saves at the end says it all.

So there you have it, a totally unbiased view of the game!

Last edited by Hubble; 11-08-2016, 08:52 PM.

Comment

He was poor last night not sure why some feel the need to try and defend what was clear as night and day. He might be excellent next game but yesterday's performance was way below expectations

Loads of excuses being thrown about which don't add up. Yes he came back bit later but spent the whole summer playing football so he's not unfit or behind the rest that much so let's put that to bed, as for balls around his neck we must have watched different games as we played predominantly down the side's first half and put some great balls in finally Swindon is the level of opposition he was banging them in for for Peterborough and they handled him comfortably last night

I hope he comes good but it just don't feel like he has settled since being here if that makes sense. I don't think he's as poor as he's shown so far but let's be having it straight last night was a performance to forget for him hopefully Sunday is the opposite

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
              Right, although I listened to the game on the radio last night, given that there are such contrasting opinions about the game on here, I thought I would watch the entire 120 minutes on QPR Player (you're welcome) so I could judge for myself. I even reviewed certain parts, because of course you don't get replays on Player. So here are my (relatively) objective opinions:

First up, El Khayati: I've read some absolute nonsense in this thread that he was poor and even that he was showboating. Not only did this not happen once, he was possibly our best player over the 120 minutes. He showed fantastic touches, great linking play, and was playing in superb crosses right up to the end. His fantastic one-two with Chery, then burst down the left, beating two Swindon players to cross beautifully for Conor Washington's flick and Ngbakoto's goal was brilliant. He did not shirk any tackles, he was consistently good, and of course, he scored the winning penalty. Possibly my MOTM.

Okay, the other player of contention, Conor Washington. I have to agree with Nasser and Hal here. IMO he's just not up to it at this level. He doesn't seem to have the quickness of thought - in a football sense - and is often a fraction behind the play or the move. He showed a few good touches, his flick on for the first and of course being in the right place to score, but I just can't see him making it. He's also so one-footed, it limits him, and he didn't take on and beat a player once in the entire game. Contrast with Polter who caused problems for Swindon from the moment he came on, and made that tremendous burst and pass for Chery to flick for CW to score. He may improve slightly of course, but I watched all his games for NI in the Euros and I was not impressed then. He has no finesse and is too small to be a target man, especially when the lone striker.

My other contender for MOTM would be Jordan Cousins. I really like this player. Great vision, tenacity, passing and linking play and breaks up opposition attacks. A great buy IMO.

Our newest acquisition, Yeni Ngbakoto, shows fantastic promise. Bearing in mind this was his first showing for us and in a new country to boot, he was excellent. Powerful, fast, great crosses and can beat players at will, I am very excited by him.

Unfortunately Shodipo didn't follow on from his last two outings, where he was excellent on the left, and was a bit lacklustre, but still got in some good crosses. A definite improvement for the team and maybe he was a bit tired from such a recent step up.

The defence was a bit shambolic at times, probably because they weren't used to playing together, although individually they were good in the main. Furlong strong and fast, Lynch powerful and should have scored first half with a great header that almost went in off the crossbar (where Conor Washington probably should have put it away from the rebound). Perch is certainly not up to Bidwell's standard at LB and Caulker and Hall are definitely our best centre back pairing. Henry was generally efficient and tidy and played some good and one great passes. Ingram was excellent in goal apart from that moment when he tried to play it past their striker. Two penalty saves at the end says it all.

So there you have it, a totally unbiased view of the game!

Appreciate your view and basically totally agree with you on it, although I thought Shodipo improved on his Leeds performance where he seemed a bit restricted. Here he was running at players and really trying to make things happen, even if they didn't work. Agree as well that the defence was good individually but not on the same wavelength and of course, agree on the CW point, esp about his reaction to the play, which was my point earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                No idea Ginge as I wasn't there. Read somewhere though that some fool was really laying in to him.

Bosingwa, fair enough. Washington, certainly not.
                Fair enough mate, that's out of order if true.
                Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                Pawel Wszolek - 6
                Luke Freeman - 6
                Matt Smith - 6
                Ebere Eze - 4
                Joel Lynch - 3
                Tomer Hemed - 3
                Toni Leistner - 2
                Massimo Luongo- 2
                Angel Rangel - 2
                Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                Geoff Cameron - 1
                Aramide Oteh - 1
                Jake Bidwell - 1
                Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Hub....why didnt you start your own "my take" thread oh good post.

Comment

Some very harsh comments on Washington on this thread. People don't seem to realise he's not fully up to speed yet with the rest of the squad having missed much of pre-season.

Also, and most importantly, he's scored 2 goals in 2 games so far, which for a striker is the most important stat of all.

Paul Furlong, Heider Helguson, Sebastian Polter - just 3 examples of strikers our fans were initially too impatient with but were made to eat their words.

Some fans really need to give Washington a break and get behind him.

Comment

It's true Stan, but in this case I fear we may be right. I never had the same opinion about the BFG, I could see something in him from the start, always thought HH was good and that PF would prove his doubters wrong. But CW doesn't do it for me (got nothing against the lad of course, think he's got a great attitude). Been watching football for a long time, and I think you learn to see potential in a player. I could be wrong of course, and happy to be proved so. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                        It's true Stan, but in this case I fear we may be right. I never had the same opinion about the BFG, I could see something in him from the start, always thought HH was good and that PF would prove his doubters wrong. But CW doesn't do it for me (got nothing against the lad of course, think he's got a great attitude). Been watching football for a long time, and I think you learn to see potential in a player. I could be wrong of course, and happy to be proved so. Time will tell.
                        Time will tell indeed Hubs. Personally I think he'll come good. In fact I think it's already starting to happen for him with his 2 in 2. You also have to take into account his current fitness levels. He's got two of the best possible teachers too in JFH and LF, whom he says he's learning from all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                          He was poor last night not sure why some feel the need to try and defend what was clear as night and day. He might be excellent next game but yesterday's performance was way below expectations

Loads of excuses being thrown about which don't add up. Yes he came back bit later but spent the whole summer playing football so he's not unfit or behind the rest that much so let's put that to bed, as for balls around his neck we must have watched different games as we played predominantly down the side's first half and put some great balls in finally Swindon is the level of opposition he was banging them in for for Peterborough and they handled him comfortably last night

I hope he comes good but it just don't feel like he has settled since being here if that makes sense. I don't think he's as poor as he's shown so far but let's be having it straight last night was a performance to forget for him hopefully Sunday is the opposite
                          It's fair enough to say his performance was poor Westy but some have wrote him off completely, saying he is not up to this level etc. Until he has had run of games and is up to full fitness then we cannot truly form an opinion on his ability. You would think some would have learnt from the Polter situation

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                            You don't have to worry about that. When I get it wrong I always fess up on here. But I don't get it wrong that often. Which is why I don't mind putting my money where me gob is.

So why not a little spread bet on the amount league goals he scores this term? Say £1 a goal? For a striker a spread of 8-10 is incredibly generous, but I'd still sell (i.e.< 8). Any buyers?
                            You do make me laugh sometimes Hal

Comment

Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
                              It's fair enough to say his performance was poor Westy but some have wrote him off completely, saying he is not up to this level etc. Until he has had run of games and is up to full fitness then we cannot truly form an opinion on his ability. You would think some would have learnt from the Polter situation
                              He's had 6 months prior to the summer where he was fit and he played 15 games and he's played euros football this summer and had part of a preseason with us... Pretty sure his fitness isn't too much of an issue. A run of games maybe but he won't get it with Polter playing the way he is and - not because I've got anything against CW personally, which I don't - but I hope he doesn't get that run of games because that will mean Polter is on fire.

Comment

Washington has had a chance to prove himself and he currently isnt good enough for regular starts. Nasser made the jump up a lot quicker and has had a similar amount of game time. I would say tho it is worth keeping him and letting him slowly improve (similar to how lamela struggled so much at spurs for first year and half but eventually got better). I think he will need to learn a new way of playing as of course our play style doesnt suit him greatly. I would say possibly as just off the front man as an option so we still have Polter as the big man and washington as an option in that position.

Comment

Working...
                                X