No announcement yet.

What i don't understand is..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think Phillips is only being played to keep in the shop window, i mean even that Brighton supporter only mentioned him as a good player of ours.

Comment

Originally posted by peterlund.dk View Post
      I think the most obvious point here is - Matt Phillips cannot get us promoted single-handedly and he couldn't prevent our relegation single-handedly. And I don't understand why there is such a big disagreement here? All agree that he is not playing up to his best. All agree that he could be working harder and that his attitude can be a pain to look at.

But he still has some sort of end-product, which this season has helped us this to more points than had he not been playing. I think we all expected him to have a bigger influence on our season, but him not living up to expectations does not equal that he's done f*** all. He has influenced games and won us points - just not as many as we all expected at the start of the season.
      Thank you mate, I think you made the point I've been trying to in a much better format than me haha. We all know what he's capable of and while he's not reached that by any means, he's certainly done plenty for us in spite of the lack of effort.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
        Think Phillips is only being played to keep in the shop window, i mean even that Brighton supporter only mentioned him as a good player of ours.
        I was saying that to the gent sitting next to me actually. If people want him gone, we have to give him chances to show that he's valued highly. Whether you want him to stay or to go, there has to be a level of understanding into him maintaining his position in the side.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post
          if we are supposed to be trying things out for next season why are we

1. Starting with Phillips..we know what he can do but he doesn't want to do it at the moment.
          2. Playing phillips on the left
          3. keeping Polter on until the 85th Min
          4. not giving any game time to Washington. what is the point of bringing him on after 85mins.
          5. Having the Mad Malian on the bench.
          6. Not starting with El kyathi
          7. playing the same old formation and not trying different formations in the game.

all very baffling
          All really fair points tbh. We know we are not going to go up or down so I can't get my head around why Connor isn't getting a chance now to find his feet after spending 3 mill or whatever it was on him. Reading was perfect for him more so then playing him against one of the best teams in the division in Brighton who still have everything to play for.
          I understand phillips starting as even half the player he's still the best winger we have and as others have said he is 100% in the shop window. We will not turn down money for him the summer and he wants off. However to see gladwin get a run out over Naser I find really strange to.

JFH does make some odd decisions that do leave me baffled but he's also done a lot of good things. I genuinely think he will could turn out to be a good manager for us and I am really looking forward to seeing what he does in the summer when it comes to remoulding the team. He's got some big decisions as I believe we have a decent spine in place there now and then a few players around it who are average players for this league but definitely play for the shirt. What I want to see is a ruthless streak in him to bring in the best possible players.

I think we will know by xmas 2016 if JFH was a good appointment or not. Definitely has been apunt and still on the fence a little but I think personally thats more to do with the fact I think Warnock would of got us very close to the play offs or in them. However again I can also undestand the club wanting to look long term for the first time in ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
            I think keeping him in the shop window is a huge factor, yes.

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
            Thank you mate, I think you made the point I've been trying to in a much better format than me haha. We all know what he's capable of and while he's not reached that by any means, he's certainly done plenty for us in spite of the lack of effort.
            We disagree on the selection of the word "plenty" ;)

My honest opinion? I would like to shift him at the end of the season, and hopefully get a bit of dosh for him and free up some room on our wage budget. I think he has end-game, but his lack of effort just bothers me. He seems disinterested at times and he doesn't provide enough cover for his full-back.
            QPR since 1993
            WATRB since 2015
            First QPR game hopefully in 2017

Comment

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
              However to see gladwin get a run out over Naser I find really strange to.
              Personally don't see it like that. JFH knows what El Khayati can do. He needs to assess what Gladwin can bring to the side.

Comment

Naser has barely played. He came on and scored a worldy the other day to win us the game and imo is well ahead of gladwin in the pecking order.

Reading was the perfect time for us to play the likes of him and washington who should be next in line.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsey is god View Post
                  handbags away girls.

whose to say if someone else wasn't playing in Phillips position, they would have won us more than 10 points this season. Also that stat you keep chucking at him Nas, will never tell the full story. Him losing the ball could have cost us 11 points this season, his lack of work, which creates a bad atmosphere could contribute towards it, which is never going to be reflected by a stat.

I have previously defended Phillips, but not anymore. Dont want to be here, so get rid.
                  I can understand your view on this and it is true, there is a possibility that someone could have won us those 10 points, but that doesn't eliminate his influence as being not noteworthy. As for whether the stat won't tell the full story, of course it doesn't, but neither do your eyes, that's the point. It has to be a combination of those. I can remember all those games where Phillips being in the right position or playing the right pass has gotten us the points; the Wolves game where his willingness to take on his man got him the goals, the Ipswich game where him being at the right place got us the last minute winner and many more as discussed. Him losing the ball has cost us potential perhaps, but that doesn't invalidate his success with it now. As I've said, a really on form Phillips could be earning us plenty more points, but that doesn't make the amount he's earned us now invalid or less valuable, it just means that it's annoying to watch knowing what he's capable of. Incidentally, I just wanted to show you the players who's done as well or better than him in that position in this league. You have to bear in mind that these players are considered to be playing extremely well relative to what they are usually capable of, unlike Phillips who as we've said has been in first gear most of the time.

James Henry, Wolves, 10 points
                  Knockaert has won 6 points for Brighton but in only half a season playing for them
                  Tom Ince, Derby, 14 points.
                  Johnny Russell, Derby, 19 Points.
                  Anthony Pilkington, Cardiff, 11 Points.
                  Gudmundsson, Charlton, 10 Points

Just looking at that, You can see a couple of players we can poach in the form of James Henry and Gudmundsson (both of whom I'd love to have here next season should Phillips leave).

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post
                    if we are supposed to be trying things out for next season why are we

1. Starting with Phillips..we know what he can do but he doesn't want to do it at the moment.
                    2. Playing phillips on the left
                    3. keeping Polter on until the 85th Min
                    4. not giving any game time to Washington. what is the point of bringing him on after 85mins.
                    5. Having the Mad Malian on the bench.
                    6. Not starting with El kyathi
                    7. playing the same old formation and not trying different formations in the game.

all very baffling
                    Because we chose to employ two people who are totally out of their depth with no previous experience at all at this level. With totally predictable ramifications.

Then again JFH and Les didn't appoint themselves. Just two more ill advised, ill thought out appointments sanctioned by the boss.

Comment

I can understand your view on this and it is true, there is a possibility that someone could have won us those 10 points, but that doesn't eliminate his influence as being not noteworthy. As for whether the stat won't tell the full story, of course it doesn't, but neither do your eyes, that's the point. It has to be a combination of those. I can remember all those games where Phillips being in the right position or playing the right pass has gotten us the points; the Wolves game where his willingness to take on his man got him the goals, the Ipswich game where him being at the right place got us the last minute winner and many more as discussed. Him losing the ball has cost us potential perhaps, but that doesn't invalidate his success with it now. As I've said, a really on form Phillips could be earning us plenty more points, but that doesn't make the amount he's earned us now invalid or less valuable, it just means that it's annoying to watch knowing what he's capable of. Incidentally, I just wanted to show you the players who's done as well or better than him in that position in this league. You have to bear in mind that these players are considered to be playing extremely well relative to what they are usually capable of, unlike Phillips who as we've said has been in first gear most of the time.

Knockaert has won 6 points for Brighton but in only half a season playing for them

Just looking at that, You can see a couple of players we can poach in the form of James Henry and Gudmundsson (both of whom I'd love to have here next season should Phillips leave).
                      The thing with stats is they often tell half the story and can be manipulated to suit anyone's perspective.

I understand them and there is a place for them but they are not the defining factor in a players ability or the circumstances of why some players have achieved the stats credited to them. There is often many other factors involved.

Comment

My point really was that with the way he is clearly not that bothered, wont get involved in any tackle that may injure him, fans have turned and creates a negative atmosphere, you dont know how this all effects the team. No stat will ever tell you that. perhaps with all that removed, we may have been better off with someone else.

Also, i may be entirely wrong on how your stats are formed, but it would seem your stats suggest someone who scores a hatrick in 3 games, but the team loses 4-3 each time, is less influential than a player who scores one in 3, but just so happens that 1 is in a 1-0 win.

i trust my eyes and ears of the thousands of rangers fans who have had enough of him.

I have always preached patience on here, but had enough with Phillips now. Attitude has dropped throughout the season, so would almost write off the earlier games in regards to his performance (like wolves game)

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsey is god View Post
                          My point really was that with the way he is clearly not that bothered, wont get involved in any tackle that may injure him, fans have turned and creates a negative atmosphere, you dont know how this all effects the team. No stat will ever tell you that. perhaps with all that removed, we may have been better off with someone else.

Also, i may be entirely wrong on how your stats are formed, but it would seem your stats suggest someone who scores a hatrick in 3 games, but the team loses 4-3 each time, is less influential than a player who scores one in 3, but just so happens that 1 is in a 1-0 win.

i trust my eyes and ears of the thousands of rangers fans who have had enough of him.

I have always preached patience on here, but had enough with Phillips now. Attitude has dropped throughout the season, so would almost write off the earlier games in regards to his performance (like wolves game)
                          You're absolutely right, but the sport is valued on points won. If you aren't winning points, you could be playing the best football in the division but you'd still get relegated. A player who is capable of scoring those vital goals is more valuable than a player who scores when it doesn't matter as much. Why? because when a team is 4 0 up, chances are they are going to relax a bit, allow a player to do damage to them out of pure laziness. Their gameplan changes. When there is one goal in it or when the scores are 0 - 0, the game plan hasn't changed, the team is generally playing the way they want to and it means that the goal is doing more for the team. That's why Darren Bent was so highly valued, that's why andre gray has been so highly valued this season. Both scored when it matters, got goals when it counted and made the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                            Because we chose to employ two people who are totally out of their depth with no previous experience at all at this level. With totally predictable ramifications.

Then again JFH and Les didn't appoint themselves. Just two more ill advised, ill thought out appointments sanctioned by the boss.
                            What total rubbish. Eddie Howe has no previous experience at prem level but is doing ok Redknapp had tons and flopped

Total mute point you make

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                              What total rubbish. Eddie Howe has no previous experience at prem level but is doing ok Redknapp had tons and flopped

Total mute point you make
                              In addition, Paul Clement and Darren Wassall had never managed in the Championship and where are Derby?

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                                In addition, Paul Clement and Darren Wassall had never managed in the Championship and where are Derby?
                                But you have to understand, we as a fanbase have to be critical of the club all the time even when the criticism isn't there. Is that not obvious?

Comment

Working...
                                X