There is no quick fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is no quick fix

The last few years have been frustrating. The soul has been ripped out of our club and in over 30 years of supporting the club I have never felt such disconnect between fans, players and club. This is not unique to us but I suspect we are one of the worse examples.

On paper sure we look very good at this level. However the reality is that a lot of our most technically able players don't really want to be here and on top of that will be getting paid significantly more than most of the rest. That will not breed a happy, motivated dressing room. On the pitch we generally look less hungry than the opposition and that puts us up against it in games we should be controlling.

I believe TF & Co have seen this disconnect and have tried to start to overcome it by appointing people who the fans relate to, Sir Les, various ex players, people who probably do genuinely care about this club. This to me is a positive but it doesn't address the playing side.

JFH has a hell of a job on his hands. A disgruntled team where his best players would rather be elsewhere and who frankly don't seem up for the fight. For me it may be for the best long term if we get rid of some of these players in January and start to try and build a team as opposed to a group of individuals. It goes back to what the board said the club wanted to do and that was to not have players here for the money but who saw us as a step up in their career and were desperate to succeed. Our failure to offload in the summer kind of scuppered this but for me we need to look at this in January and again in the summer. No good having these so called great players if they don't produce. I remember when Ollie came in and we sunk without trace that season before he got to grips with it. We have a similar situation here, albeit without the financial angst and with more of the season left. Unless things go disastrously I would rather keep faith with JFH into next season and see what kind of team he can build without the baggage we currently have. Not happy with starting with no strikers but Polter seems only fit one and whilst ok at cameos not overly convinced over 90 mins.

We always seem to be looking forwards to tomorrow but as JFH said 'it is what it is!'

Happy New Year!

Quick fix is samba. Unleash the mental Malian.

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post
      Strange obsession you have. One good game four years ago.

Comment

i am not sure where this mystical connect between the club and the fans comes from?

you probably have to go back as far as Jim gregory ..david bulstrode, richard thompson, the fat itailian the list is endless..buckets... fan buying players...failed mergers , fans singing we want want our rangers back 1 hour from going out of business (allegedly) ...guns in the boardroom as i mentioned on an earlier thread there is a lot of selective memory going on..if anything the current regime is guilty of listening to the fans too much...changing managers at the first whiff of discontent..claiming to want to do it the right way but bow to fan pressure to buy big...Tony is too much of a need to pleaser to be a football chairman..

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
          Strange obsession you have. One good game four years ago.
          Clearly you only watched one game he played in. He was excellent when we were down to 10 men against Man U. He ran the show against Swansea and was good against Spurs. At Sunderland, when he went off (as on a yellow), our midfield was toothless. Arsenal wasn't his best game. People just focus on it because he scored... I like players who make an impact and have that X factor. He once was able to drive from midfield and I can't see why he can't be given one more go. If it doesn't work out, then let his contract run out.

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post
            i am not sure where this mystical connect between the club and the fans comes from?

you probably have to go back as far as Jim gregory ..david bulstrode, richard thompson, the fat itailian the list is endless..buckets... fan buying players...failed mergers , fans singing we want want our rangers back 1 hour from going out of business (allegedly) ...guns in the boardroom as i mentioned on an earlier thread there is a lot of selective memory going on..if anything the current regime is guilty of listening to the fans too much...changing managers at the first whiff of discontent..claiming to want to do it the right way but bow to fan pressure to buy big...Tony is too much of a need to pleaser to be a football chairman..
            Agree with all of that. We want our rangers back crap, just want to win some football matches and ideally do it with some style

Comment

Has to be worth a try, we need a livener. Could be fun but would have to be subbed on the yellow card!

Comment

Agree. Soon as he gets one, another will follow. Red must descends....and when Fulham players about

Comment

I couldn't agree more this whole process is going to take a couple of season at least. Lets hope this Jan we can clear of the ever growing dead wood. Lets just hope that the lack of over priced under performing players has come to an end

Comment

Originally posted by blue and white View Post
                    I couldn't agree more this whole process is going to take a couple of season at least. Lets hope this Jan we can clear of the ever growing dead wood. Lets just hope that the lack of over priced under performing players has come to an end
                    It won't happen because the people making the decisions now are not the ones to create improvement in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post

Which is why we have Les who won't give into the pressure and won't read these messageboards (Like Tony admitted to doing).
                      But yeah I'm all for long-term...it's the way forward. No more quick fixes.
                      "When you went to the corner and saw our fans celebrating the way they were you just wanted to be part of it" - Shaun Derry after we beat the scum 1-0

Comment

Tend to agree not convinced he's the answer but everyone else has had an opportunity other then this guy and he was the one doing the business pre season so why not. If Fer can have ten chances Samba deserves a go even if it's from the bench

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                          The last few years have been frustrating. The soul has been ripped out of our club and in over 30 years of supporting the club I have never felt such disconnect between fans, players and club. This is not unique to us but I suspect we are one of the worse examples.

On paper sure we look very good at this level. However the reality is that a lot of our most technically able players don't really want to be here and on top of that will be getting paid significantly more than most of the rest. That will not breed a happy, motivated dressing room. On the pitch we generally look less hungry than the opposition and that puts us up against it in games we should be controlling.

I believe TF & Co have seen this disconnect and have tried to start to overcome it by appointing people who the fans relate to, Sir Les, various ex players, people who probably do genuinely care about this club. This to me is a positive but it doesn't address the playing side.

JFH has a hell of a job on his hands. A disgruntled team where his best players would rather be elsewhere and who frankly don't seem up for the fight. For me it may be for the best long term if we get rid of some of these players in January and start to try and build a team as opposed to a group of individuals. It goes back to what the board said the club wanted to do and that was to not have players here for the money but who saw us as a step up in their career and were desperate to succeed. Our failure to offload in the summer kind of scuppered this but for me we need to look at this in January and again in the summer. No good having these so called great players if they don't produce. I remember when Ollie came in and we sunk without trace that season before he got to grips with it. We have a similar situation here, albeit without the financial angst and with more of the season left. Unless things go disastrously I would rather keep faith with JFH into next season and see what kind of team he can build without the baggage we currently have. Not happy with starting with no strikers but Polter seems only fit one and whilst ok at cameos not overly convinced over 90 mins.

We always seem to be looking forwards to tomorrow but as JFH said 'it is what it is!'

Happy New Year!
                          The club have made the mistake of running before they can walk this season. All the good work that was put in over the summer got thrown out the Window. Let us hope JFH is now given the time to work out what he wants from this squad and what he needs to bring in over the summer. Still might take a season or two

Comment

Basically we're back where we started in the summer, we all expected a big clear out then, it didn't happen, now it probably will. This squad of players proved last season that they weren't good enough to keep us in the premier league, and now we know they are even worse at trying to get us back up. So a few our so called "best" players will probably move on but we are no worse off IMO, just gone round in a circle. Most people on here thought we would finish around mid table anyway so not sure why there is so much moaning going on.

Comment

players out of their comfort zone, no forward at home, continuing playing the same players whose performances are woeful. If managers can't see the blooming obvious, I fear there ain't going to be any 'quick' fix. By the way, Happy New Year to you all
                              I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                              This morning's tempest I have to cross
                              I must be guided without a stumble
                              Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Working...
                              X