The McCarthy/Green debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The McCarthy/Green debate

I know there is already a debate going on concerning our reserve goalkeeper Alex McCarthy, however, I taught this debate should be giving another dimension. We all know that Alex is a very good goalkeeper and could go on to be a Rangers legend, however we cannot discard Rob Green after the brilliant seasons he have had during the last two years. Considering the fact that he only have 1 year remaining to the end of his contract, and his wages, I think it will be a suicide to sell the younger keeper. So, CR comes into this and should rotate both goalkeepers as its unfair to leave either one as a sub. It was done in the past and could be done again. England use to rotate goalkeepers between Shilton and Clemence, although in the end Peter Shilton got the nod. If we can go through this season with such an arrangement, then both keepers will be happy.

McCarthy needs a proper run in the side to make himself number 1

Comment

McCarthy has been poor in the few chances he has had. I know there is an argument for saying he needs a run. There is also an argument for saying that football is unforgiving and if you get a chance you simply have to take it.

Remember seeing him a few times for Reading and being impressed so hopefully he will get a chance and take it this time. However Green has been good for us so why should he just roll over due to age?

Comment

For me it's Green or McCarthy. We can't keep both happy & how any manger can pick one out of them two is near impossible
        Under Les Ferdinand:
        Luke Freeman, top assists in the league: 4million
        Alex Smithies, great goalie for this club: 3,5million
        Charlie Austin, 19 Premier League goals: 4million
        Jack Robinson: Contract ran out, left for free
        And many more mistakes

LES FERDINAND, IT'S TIME TO GO

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
          I know there is already a debate going on concerning our reserve goalkeeper Alex McCarthy, however, I taught this debate should be giving another dimension. We all know that Alex is a very good goalkeeper and could go on to be a Rangers legend, however we cannot discard Rob Green after the brilliant seasons he have had during the last two years. Considering the fact that he only have 1 year remaining to the end of his contract, and his wages, I think it will be a suicide to sell the younger keeper. So, CR comes into this and should rotate both goalkeepers as its unfair to leave either one as a sub. It was done in the past and could be done again. England use to rotate goalkeepers between Shilton and Clemence, although in the end Peter Shilton got the nod. If we can go through this season with such an arrangement, then both keepers will be happy.
          Sorry but we don't all know he's a good keeper. How many times do you have to watch someone before you deem him good? What we saw on the rare outing last year was anything but and a couple of Reading games against us where he played well is not enough for me.
          And have to disagree even more with your second point. Rotating Shilton and Clemence for England is fine for England with a game every few months but both were playing week in week our for their Clubs. Just like every position, your number one needs pitch time, not rotating in and out every other game - it doesn't help the keeper and doesn't help their relationship with the defence either. Pick one as the first choice and stick with him until form/fitness/results dictates otherwise - when the other one gets his chance he needs to stand up and grab it with both hands - just like Green did when Salad was finally booted and rather like McCarthy didn't for that brief stint last year
          #standuptocancer
          #inyourfacecancer

Comment

I genuinely think both are top keepers.

The reason I'm pro McCarthy is his age, potential and also sell on value. If we kept him for 2,3,4 years and he hits his potential we would be able to sell him for a lot more than 6 mill we got.

As for green he's on 30 to 40 k a week and in a year or so time we would face the prospect of going to find a decent keeper when we already have McCarthy in the wings.

The only reason I can see the sale of McCarthy is if anything has gone on behind the scene with his attitude, commitment ect

Comment

McCarthy is better than Green. Not that Green has been anything but good for us, just feel McCarthy is better and should get the nod.

Comment

This report appeared to get overlooked amongst the bickering on the other thread...

Alex McCarthy could leave club as Rob Green looks set to stay

QPR goalkeeper Alex McCarthy is considering leaving the club this summer as Rob Green looks set to snub interest from Chelsea and stay at Loftus Road.

McCarthy was hoping to be promoted to become the club's first-choice keeper in the Championship next season after Green was targeted by Chelsea to become their new No2.

But Green had second thoughts about moving to Stamford Bridge to sit on the bench while Chelsea have since made a move for Stoke keeper Asmir Begovic, who is expected to complete an £8million transfer to the Premier League champions this week.

McCarthy started just three matches after joining from Reading for £2.5million last season, and told Standard Sport in May he was unsettled at the club.

"It has been frustrating," he said.

"I played the the full season for Reading last year but I’m playing the odd game here and I just want to play football."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foot...-10371153.html

Comment

I believe McCarthy should have been given more of a chance last season.. Still haven't seen him have a run of games. I know RB had a decent season last year but he deserved to have been dropped a few times, coSt us some points and with a keeper like AM on the bench I think he deserved a chance, apparently we paid £6m for him, he must have something for us to pay that for him.

If we could have got some money for RG we should have took it but he looks as if he is staying so I reckon he should play second fiddle to AM, got to give this kid a chance. We will not get £6m back for AM, and if he is on the bench next year he will be off.
                  C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

As I said on the other thread, McCarthy does need a run in the first team. But he has to break through past Green, who has been great for us. He needs to do more to get that chance because the few times he has had it, he has failed.
                    Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                    Pawel Wszolek - 6
                    Luke Freeman - 6
                    Matt Smith - 6
                    Ebere Eze - 4
                    Joel Lynch - 3
                    Tomer Hemed - 3
                    Toni Leistner - 2
                    Massimo Luongo- 2
                    Angel Rangel - 2
                    Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                    Geoff Cameron - 1
                    Aramide Oteh - 1
                    Jake Bidwell - 1
                    Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
                      As I said on the other thread, McCarthy does need a run in the first team. But he has to break through past Green, who has been great for us. He needs to do more to get that chance because the few times he has had it, he has failed.
                      Apart from Liverpool of course, when he was outstanding.

Comment

Wouldn't mind loaning out McCarthy. The problem being that if Green were injured it'd be down to Lumley.

Comment

Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
                          Apart from Liverpool of course, when he was outstanding.
                          Personally didn't think so. He was ok. That was his best performance for us.
                          Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                          Pawel Wszolek - 6
                          Luke Freeman - 6
                          Matt Smith - 6
                          Ebere Eze - 4
                          Joel Lynch - 3
                          Tomer Hemed - 3
                          Toni Leistner - 2
                          Massimo Luongo- 2
                          Angel Rangel - 2
                          Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                          Geoff Cameron - 1
                          Aramide Oteh - 1
                          Jake Bidwell - 1
                          Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan8947 View Post
                            Wouldn't mind loaning out McCarthy. The problem being that if Green were injured it'd be down to Lumley.
                            Can't keep both keepers happy this season. Neither will be happy to be 2nd choice and playing 50% each is madness as a keeper needs continuity.

Greeno has been great for us, but it's time we made McCarthy No.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
                              Personally didn't think so. He was ok. That was his best performance for us.
                              Hard to please.

Comment

Working...
                              X